Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S/L Headlight “screwed” in place?  (Read 2499 times)

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
S/L Headlight “screwed” in place?
« on: 28 August 2021, 22:21:59 »

So today whilst I was adjusting the bonnet cable I noticed that there appears to be a dirty big screw  through the outer part of the headlight casing into the full beam “bowl”. Can someone explain as to why this may have been done? Both the headlight motors appear to be working albeit they can actually move the headlights much due to said screw.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: S/L Headlight “screwed” in place?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2021, 00:03:54 »

Your description isn't particularly helpful, but there's two plastic adjuster screws with bevel gears that drive the actual adjusters on each light.  ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2021, 00:07:00 »

So today whilst I was adjusting the bonnet cable I noticed that there appears to be a dirty big screw  through the outer part of the headlight casing into the full beam “bowl”. Can someone explain as to why this may have been done? Both the headlight motors appear to be working albeit they can actually move the headlights much due to said screw.

The 'screw' you mentioned should fit into a plastic housing, inside the headlight, which breaks. If someone has bodged a large screw in there you need to put it right because you no longer have height adjustable lamps. This is a common Omega problem, that is easily corrected without any need for ghetto 'fixes'.

here are the adjusters in order:

left to right:

a complete standard adjuster

the broken pieces of a standard adjuster, which is what they normally look like once you've removed the headlamp and shaken the broken pieces onto the bench

the machined aluminium adjuster that is no longer available

the cheap and cheerful cast resin adjuster that is available and is good enough to fix the problem.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2021, 14:38:22 »

Your description isn't particularly helpful, but there's two plastic adjuster screws with bevel gears that drive the actual adjusters on each light.  ???
Hopefully this helps my description. It’s through the outer side casing into the full beam headlamp bowl as per my previous description:

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2021, 14:41:27 »

The 'screw' you mentioned should fit into a plastic housing, inside the headlight, which breaks. If someone has bodged a large screw in there you need to put it right because you no longer have height adjustable lamps. This is a common Omega problem, that is easily corrected without any need for ghetto 'fixes'.

left to right:

the broken pieces of a standard adjuster, which is what they normally look like once you've removed the headlamp and shaken the broken pieces onto the bench

the cheap and cheerful cast resin adjuster that is available and is good enough to fix the problem.

Thanks man. So I had a search on the “old site” after reading your post which has offered a very good guide for replacing these (unsure why the guide hasn’t been brought across to the new site), however I still have a question, I realise the old thread mentioned post ‘98 headlamps (and I realise that facelift is indeed post ‘98) but was this still a problem with facelift headlights?

Also, have you a link handy for the replacement adjuster? I’m unable to find anything similar on eBay sadly. Perhaps I’m not using the right keywords for the search (using omega b headlight adjuster) and I’m finding what I think are the outer adjustment screws that are used for setting the headlight alignment.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2021, 14:44:10 by BlackieNo1 »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2021, 17:06:30 »

Ali ones have long since gone as guy who made them has no further stock.You might find the resin type with a google search or maybe a forum member has a couple they would part with .

Looks like your light has suffered the adjuster causing the internals to bounce around and been repaired ??? with a screw holding it tight  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2021, 19:48:34 »

left to right:

You need a new headlight :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2021, 21:37:00 »

left to right:

You need a new headlight :-X

Bugger  :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2021, 21:51:59 »

NEED a new headlight is a little strong, but it would be best.

If you buy a second hand one, ensure that it has the aftermarket adjusters.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2021, 23:32:38 »

I need a pair of headlights then as both headlights have been bodged in the same way.  Having had a look on eBay it appears there is a low supply of facelift HID headlights, in RHD spec anyway. So being the tight Northern Irishman that I am, I’d prefer to have a go at repairing them, even if it’s at the peril of my wife finding out I’m using her oven to split the headlights lol

EDIT:- can the headlights be reconfigured between LHD & RHD?
« Last Edit: 29 August 2021, 23:43:56 by BlackieNo1 »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2021, 12:10:35 »

I need a pair of headlights then as both headlights have been bodged in the same way.  Having had a look on eBay it appears there is a low supply of facelift HID headlights, in RHD spec anyway. So being the tight Northern Irishman that I am, I’d prefer to have a go at repairing them, even if it’s at the peril of my wife finding out I’m using her oven to split the headlights lol

No they can't.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2021, 12:29:49 »

No they can't.
Dammit!

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2021, 17:25:01 »

Look up "Gareth McAleer " on Facebook  :y

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2021, 17:52:56 »

Look up "Gareth McAleer " on Facebook  :y
Already have him added, thanks though.   :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.