Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 11214 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2023, 17:30:08 »

That price probably excludes the excess for the exchange part, so your maths might be round the wrong way LZ

I agree, the alternator fault is more likely to be the regulator pack on the back, which is the cheaper fix.

Alternator is a bit fiddly on the Omega, but not difficult.  Like many jobs, access can feel tight.  Be defo do-able.

But the first thing you must do *RIGHT NOW* is get that battery off and on charge.  Leave it a day or 2 and I promise the battery will be shagged.

Well all I can say is that the AA guy, who was a Vx mechanic working on the Carltons, Senators, and Omegas did his diagnostic check and concluded the alternator had expired.  Not surprising really on a 20 year car with the original in place.  I had one expire on a 6 month old Ford Cortina estate back in the day, and what I experienced then was the same this time.

Frankly, for the price all in, and yes I have had confirmation that I get my £47 back with the old unit, which comes at a nett price inc. VAT of £87, I cannot deal with all the hassle of mucking around now.  nA Vx dealer who I know and trust is assisting me with all the arrangements, and the AA are on standby to take it to them on the day using one of their own batteries that will cover the short distance.  Before they left me the other day, they used a charger to start the car and recharge the battery just a little for all the electrics to work.  I understand though that the 2.5 year old battery could now be u/s, but I'll cross that bridge on the day.

Thanks for all the advice though, but it is just a shame that I, now 70 years young,  cannot deal with all the hassle of doing it all myself on a part that is fiddly to get to.  Also, for the set price quoted professionals can check everything out.  I may well get them to test the regulator pack before fitting the new alternator. They can aLso check the battery as suggested.

:-* 8) :y :y
« Last Edit: 21 October 2023, 17:37:27 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2023, 17:33:22 »

Well it will be easier than changing the one on my Austin A40 hot rod as it sits on top of the chassis

;D ;D ;D  there have been many times when I wish I still had the simplicity of the mechanics of an A40!! ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2023, 17:35:19 »

Rarely the alternator dead. Usually the regulator on the back of the alternator needs replacing. I got mine from the company below, on the recommendation of Kevin Woof if my memory serves.

https://www.rotatingelectrics.co.uk/search?q=Vauxhall+omega+regulator&options%5Bprefix%5D=last&type=product

Mid Ulster Rotating Electrics are very helpful  :y , RobG put me on to them.

Lizzie:
Removing/re-fitting the alternator is fiddly rather than difficult, mainly due to undoing the bolts by feel from above rather than sight. Once removed, the regulator takes about two minutes to swap so no issue there.  :y  It’s just a shame that the alternator won’t drop out the bottom, it has to come upward. From memory, disconnect battery, disconnect lead from alternator **, remove air filter to ram intake pipe, remove alternator belt and then feel for the bolts with a socket and spanner. Once removed, swap regulator for the new one and reassemble. I’m sure others will correct me if I’ve forgotten anything. Definitely doable though.  :y

**  You can either jack the car up and crawl under it to undo the alternator lead or remove the lead from above once the alternator is free from its fixings.  :y

In my day I would have done all that, and more, but not now.  My joints, fingers and back just can't take it.  And with the current weather.............. ::) ::) ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2023, 18:17:52 »

I'd do the same  Lizzy .... I even paid someone recently to replace the brake shoes & cylinders on my Smart  .... and I use spanners for a living. ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2023, 18:23:57 »

The regulator is held on to the back of the alternator by two screws. takes a minute or two to change once the alternator is detached from its fixings.     You could buy one and ask a garage to fit it.
The labour time will be the same (or less) as fitting a new alternator.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2023, 13:37:08 »

I'd do the same  Lizzy .... I even paid someone recently to replace the brake shoes & cylinders on my Smart  .... and I use spanners for a living. ::)

;D ;D  Yep Andy, age catches up with us and things we would easily do in our 20's suddenly becomes very hard. ::) ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2023, 15:51:03 »

;D ;D  Yep Andy, age catches up with us and things we would easily do in our 20's suddenly becomes very hard. ::) ;)

And speaking as an older male, things that used to be very hard in your 20's aren't so hard, or don't stay as hard for so long.  ::)  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2023, 15:57:27 »

[quote ;) author=Lizzie Zoom link=topic=150604.msg2032576#msg2032576 date=1697978228]

And speaking as an older male, things that used to be very hard in your 20's aren't so hard, or don't stay as hard for so long.  ::)  ;D
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D Did we want to know that! ;D  ;D :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2023, 16:03:40 »

[quote ;) author=Lizzie Zoom link=topic=150604.msg2032576#msg2032576 date=1697978228]

;D ;D ;D ;D Did we want to know that! ;D  ;D :D
[/quote]

Not really relevant was it.  ;D

Back on track, I fully understand what you mean regarding age and crawling under cars. Much easier to drop the car off, have it fixed, pay the bill and drive away.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2023, 17:39:34 »

;D  ;D ;D

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2023, 10:15:24 »

Hello Lizzie talking about old people I have recently had my cills welded and a rear brake rebuilt.Ok the welding I could not do but a brake rebuild I would have enjoyed doing but now it is easier to farm it out but I always wonder if the job has been done as well as I would like.At 87 I could be the oldest member of our club. Get it fixed and avoid the stress.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2023, 12:12:33 »

I'll happily help you out Lizzie, and you sure as hell won't need a loan for the privilege... it's what forums are all about

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2023, 13:48:18 »

Hello Lizzie talking about old people I have recently had my cills welded and a rear brake rebuilt.Ok the welding I could not do but a brake rebuild I would have enjoyed doing but now it is easier to farm it out but I always wonder if the job has been done as well as I would like.At 87 I could be the oldest member of our club. Get it fixed and avoid the stress.

Have read your posts over the years, but had no idea you were that age. Good to see your still driving a nice old bus, rather than the usual little crap white goods cars we might associate with older drivers.
Keep up the good work.  :y :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 October 2023, 14:11:33 »

had no idea you were that age.

He definitely doesn’t look it (or at least, didn’t a few months ago! :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 October 2023, 14:28:57 »

Gives me hope. I was 64 a few days ago, so not that old really.  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.