Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: crank shaft sensor query.  (Read 3782 times)

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
crank shaft sensor query.
« on: 02 December 2023, 16:12:59 »

Having  the sheds out to try and make sense of all the spares bought over the last four years....shocking!! I've found five OE crank shaft sensors 90492006, and presume that they are for the 3.0. Question is..are they suitable for the 3.2 also? :-\TIA

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: crank shaft sensor query.
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2023, 18:16:52 »

If it's the black plastic one, it's good for 3.0 and 3.2 and 2.6 and most 2.5s.  If it's the silvery metal one, its for early 2.5s IME.  Also IME, EPC is wrong for 3.0l crank sensors, and offers the metal one when it should be the plastic one.
Grumpy old man

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2023, 18:57:02 »

Thank you, will take a closer look, I guess they would be OK for the 3.0, but am I thinking that failure is rare on the  3.0?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2023, 19:50:42 »

Thank you, will take a closer look, I guess they would be OK for the 3.0, but am I thinking that failure is rare on the  3.0?
IME, it's more common on the 3.0l.  I think the spin on filters are part of the reason for their demise, and all 3.2s shipped with cartridge filters (ignoring the misinformed who swapped them out), where as on the last 2 years of 3.0l came with cartridge filters.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2023, 23:29:21 »

Misinformed or not, the spin on filters don't snap in half when they're over tightened and can be removed far more easily than the caps. And if you're changing the oil every couple of months, why not simplify the process :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2023, 01:49:30 »

There are three different crank sensors for the V6's. All three have different resistances.

90492006 is 550Ω. It has a square sided connector and most V6 cars have an oval sided loom connector. So it will fit in the block just fine but you can't connect it. And no, you can't just cut and splice splice the loom off your existing sensor because the resistance in the sensor head is incorrect. My guess is that these are early Calibra sensors.

90492061 is (circa) 720Ω is the early iteration of the oval connector sensor. Supposedly used on some early X25XE. Information on EPC is incorrect.

A 2.6/3.2 is much more likely to use 90540743 aka Bosch 0-261-210-131. The sensor head might also be stamped with a factory production number 90494182.  Cadillac and Saab use the factory production part number, it's still the same Bosch 0-261-210-131. This sensor has an oval sided connector and a resistance of 900Ω.

« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 01:55:23 by Enceladus »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2023, 08:25:49 »

Misinformed or not, the spin on filters don't snap in half when they're over tightened and can be removed far more easily than the caps. And if you're changing the oil every couple of months, why not simplify the process :D

I've never found the cannister type to be difficult in all honesty and i've never had one that the lid didn't undo on the five V6's i've owned / two I still own.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2023, 11:54:25 »

They're not difficult per se, but access gets annoying if you have to fight one. Spin on were quicker and cheaper. The housing makes a bit more sense in wwd applications because it's not stuffed above the crossmember.

By comparison, the cartridge filter location on a Merc or BMW is even easier because it's just there when you open the bonnet.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2023, 14:51:38 »

Oh I've had to fight some spin ones in the past, not on Omegas though, where some mongrel thinks that hand tight is about 30,000Nm.

On a V6 Omega, I'll go for the cartridge type every single time. Les messy and easier to replace (if you're not following a ham fisted retard).

And I think it makes the crank sensor last longer. I never had a crank sensor failure on one that had the cartridge filter, only on spin ons.  And I've changed a shit load of crank sesnors ;D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2023, 15:09:51 »

Oh I've had to fight some spin ones in the past, not on Omegas though, where some mongrel thinks that hand tight is about 30,000Nm.

On a V6 Omega, I'll go for the cartridge type every single time. Les messy and easier to replace (if you're not following a ham fisted retard).

And I think it makes the crank sensor last longer. I never had a crank sensor failure on one that had the cartridge filter, only on spin ons.  And I've changed a shit load of crank sesnors ;D
Like every dealer mechanic that ever did an oil change.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2023, 17:29:04 »

My Omega went through 2 crank sensors in the many years I had it & mine had a cartridge filter.
I agree with you Jamie though that the filter is easy enough to replace .... I never had a problem with mine.  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2023, 18:09:31 »

Ive had to change crank sensors on my Omegas with both types of filter. Its the proximity to the exhaust fanimold that kills the wiring imo.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2023, 18:20:50 »

Ive had to change crank sensors on my Omegas with both types of filter. Its the proximity to the exhaust fanimold that kills the wiring imo.
I think it's oil on the wiring right by the sensor.  My oil crank sensors went nowhere near the exhaust :)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2023, 18:26:50 »

The crank sensor is basically a service item on the Omega.

Along with the HBV, wishbone bushes and steering idler :D

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2023, 21:29:45 »

So apart from the 2.5, these aren't any good for the other V6's in the Omega range. And if I'm understanding this correctly. The 90540743 would be compatible with the rest of the V6's including the 3.0?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.