Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cars, Houses and SWMBO's  (Read 2165 times)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
Cars, Houses and SWMBO's
« on: 13 August 2011, 23:04:29 »

I've noticed recently from pictures being posted, that several OOFers do alot of work on their car parts in their living rooms, kitchens, etc.

Although my wife is incredibly tolerant and understanding about me spending huge quantities of time, laying on my back outside under an Omega, she would definately remove my testicles and serve them up for dinner if I tried working on car parts in her kitchen!!  ::)

Just wondered how everyone feels about it?  :-?
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Cars, Houses and SWMBO's
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2011, 23:13:31 »

I'm lucky enough to have a small cellar room to do this kind of stuff but, strangely enough, SWMBO insisted on having the parts washer installed in the kitchen. 
 ;D
I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2011, 23:18:31 »

Same as Twiglet but I think mine would be removed through my nostrils. ::) ;D ;D
I can well remember working on bike engines in my mums living room, I got caught but I think my excuse that I had been reasonable enough to put newspaper down on the carpet before commencing work demonstrated that I had good intentions, so I got the usual mild bollicking. :)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2011, 23:19:50 »

I've noticed recently from pictures being posted, that several OOFers do alot of work on their car parts in their living rooms, kitchens, etc.

Although my wife is incredibly tolerant and understanding about me spending huge quantities of time, laying on my back outside under an Omega, she would definately remove my testicles and serve them up for dinner if I tried working on car parts in her kitchen!!  ::)
Just wondered how everyone feels about it?  :-?

I would have the same problem, fortunately I have a garage to work in... :) funny how it is an overflow for storage of bottles, veg, has a fridge a freezer and all manor of household bits 'out of the way' in the garage... ::) ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2011, 23:27:09 »

... funny how it is an overflow for storage of bottles, veg, has a fridge a freezer and all manor of household bits 'out of the way' in the garage... ::) ::) ::)

Same as my our garage.  :-? :-? ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2011, 07:54:10 »

Garage is for that. Fair enough. But ONLY that. No fridge or tumble drier or decorating 'dangle berries'. Mans tools only. Not even garden stuff, thats what the shed is for... Which needs replacing actually, too small and the floors rotten. Sigh...
« Last Edit: 14 August 2011, 07:55:06 by chrisgixer »

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2011, 09:47:19 »

Although my wife is incredibly tolerant and understanding about me spending huge quantities of time, laying on my back outside under an Omega, she would definately remove my testicles and serve them up for dinner...

Man up and put your foot down, I wear the trousers in my house!
(Please don't tell my Misses I said that!)

Nah, at the end of the day my Misses knows that cars play a large part of my life, especially since loosing my job and becoming self employed, she doesn't mind the money that comes with the cars so she has to put up with a little clutter, I have nearly a whole corner of the kitchen taken up with papers and car stuff (mainly tools).

I am very lucky to have her.

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2011, 10:55:25 »

Garage is for that. Fair enough. But ONLY that. No fridge or tumble drier or decorating 'dangle berries'. Mans tools only. Not even garden stuff, thats what the shed is for... Which needs replacing actually, too small and the floors rotten. Sigh...

:y

Course it's easy for me to say that.. there's no SWMBO here to tell me otherwise!  ;D So I built this:

(Ok, I didn't build it, builders did..)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2011, 11:30:53 »

As long as the parts are not too dirty...  ...unless they are are destined for the dishwasher.

I have to tolerate her craft stuff scattered around the house, so she has to tolerate the occasional carpart on the kitchen worktop.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2011, 11:43:18 »

Course it's easy for me to say that.. there's no SWMBO here to tell me otherwise!  ;D So I built this:

Wow! That's looking very nice indeed. :y

I know where I'm heading to do my next ATF change. That floor looks much too clean. :P
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2011, 11:45:20 »

Wow! That's looking very nice indeed. :y

I know where I'm heading to do my next ATF change. That floor looks much too clean. :P

No need to get the floor dirty - just drive the car over the fibreglass lined inspection pit; it's wipe clean ;) (Might need to break out the wet'n'dry vac if the pit ends up filled with 9L of ATF, though  ;D)

You're welcome anytime, though  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2011, 13:38:09 »

The garage and my small office are my domain, the rest of the  house is hers. 

I used the dishwasher for the spare heads recently and I was early forced to buy a new one.  Even though the smell of oil went after a few deep cleans, she was adamant that it still smelt of oil.  Next time ill do it when she's out (like I normally do......)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2011, 13:39:04 »

my winter tires with wheels (for both cars) happily sit in the saloon.. and some other bits from miggy although I cant say wife is pleased with it ;D

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2011, 13:42:43 »

As long as the parts are not too dirty...  ...unless they are are destined for the dishwasher.

Oh no! does that mean my parts washer is doomed to the same fate as yours?   :o
I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2011, 14:09:51 »

Mrs Opti did not approve of me leaving an oily 246 coil pack on her recently purchased dining table. ::) ::)

I take no notice as her female hissy fits soon pass.... :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2011, 14:13:11 »

all of my tools and spare parts are kept at the local service centre.  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2011, 14:13:43 »

Like the 300ZX , Aaron. I presume the girlie MR2 belongs to  Mrs A.... ::) ::) ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2011, 14:17:54 »

I resprayed a front bumper in the kitchen, she hasn't noticed the Z147 skirting board yet ;D ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 August 2011, 16:17:33 »

The garage and my small office are my domain, the rest of the  house is hers. 

I used the dishwasher for the spare heads recently and I was early forced to buy a new one.  Even though the smell of oil went after a few deep cleans, she was adamant that it still smelt of oil.  Next time ill do it when she's out (like I normally do......)

Why didn't you keep the old one, and install it in the garage? Then you could you use it any time you like.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 August 2011, 17:50:07 »

Joking aside, do dishwashers actually work as parts washers???

I've got an old dishwasher doing nothing in my garage, with a water supply, drain and power supply right next to it!  ;D :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2011, 17:51:57 »

Joking aside, do dishwashers actually work as parts washers???

I've got an old dishwasher doing nothing in my garage, with a water supply, drain and power supply right next to it!  ;D :y
Yup.
Grumpy old man

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 August 2011, 18:23:45 »

...So I built this:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/261978_10150308715091204_672941203_9294646_7362798_n.jpg

That is a nice looking garage, I helped my friend build a double garage last summer, it's not quite as nice as yours but we were limited by space. Also we've not gotten around to the finishing touches.

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2011, 18:39:56 »

...So I built this:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/261978_10150308715091204_672941203_9294646_7362798_n.jpg

That is a nice looking garage, I helped my friend build a double garage last summer, it's not quite as nice as yours but we were limited by space. Also we've not gotten around to the finishing touches.

I still haven't quite finished mine either.. which is why the walls are still a nice shade of pink  ;D (very red plywood with slightly off white emulsion = pink walls, apparently!)

Need to float the floor level and lay some flooring down, put up some shelves and so on and install the sink & water heater.. then it'll be done :)

'course the backside fell out of the stock market so now it might be a while before I can afford to build the project I built the garage for!  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 14 August 2011, 19:26:27 »

Like the 300ZX , Aaron. I presume the girlie MR2 belongs to  Mrs A.... ::) ::) ;)

;D ;D No no, there's no Mrs A.. But the girlie MR2 is faster than the 300ZX - it's far from standard :) 'course it's also going to get sold this year.. or stripped, whichever is financially best!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 August 2011, 19:28:09 »

...So I built this:

I still haven't quite finished mine either.. which is why the walls are still a nice shade of pink  ;D (very red plywood with slightly off white emulsion = pink walls, apparently!)

Need to float the floor level and lay some flooring down, put up some shelves and so on and install the sink & water heater.. then it'll be done :)

'course the backside fell out of the stock market so now it might be a while before I can afford to build the project I built the garage for!  ;D

I'm very envious of your pit. When mine was built with the house I requested a pit, but the builder 'forgot' to put it in, and I couldn't face digging it out myself. :'( :'( :'(

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 14 August 2011, 19:32:08 »

I'm very envious of your pit. When mine was built with the house I requested a pit, but the builder 'forgot' to put it in, and I couldn't face digging it out myself. :'( :'( :'(

I got the guys who laid the base to dig out most of the hole with their digger.. unfortunately that was still about 0.5m too short when the liner arrived - man that was a lot of soil (thankfully we hit sand!) to dig out by hand..

And then mix ~3t of concrete to backfill it.. that was a very, very long weekend.

Should be totally worth it, though :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2011, 18:26:12 »

you need to ditch tha t mr2 though m8  ;D ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 August 2011, 21:09:14 »

I'm very envious of your pit.

;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.