Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Part worn tyres !!!!!!  (Read 5206 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Part worn tyres !!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 13 August 2011, 15:10:46 »

Clearly the deciding factor is how much cash one has in ones pocket. With some enfesis on driving style. Mr TB has, let's say, an aggressive driving style. And a similar lack of patience.  ::)

He will go through tyres quickly, for example.

Most put far less stress through the car. Tunnie for example will make the same pair of three last 3 times as long.

But all that aside, if a person only has £50 available for tyres then what are they to do? Go on the dole as they can't get to work? Let's be serious for a minute. What would you do?

Calm your driving, save on fuel, leave earlier and skimp to pay the bills. More than that is a luxury. No?
I mostly agree, although still think part worns offer no better value, with the added risk of potential unseen damage to them.

I accept that buying a 2nd hand car has similar issues with tyres. Although, obviously, its easier to assume the tyres haven't had a 80mph debate with a kerb, as the car would show signs of that.  Obviously, its not 100% assurance though.

If I was so hard up as to not be able to afford the tyres, even budget ones, I'm not sure I'd have a big gas guzzler like the Omega - something which may explain the fact they are now utterly worthless now  :-/
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 August 2011, 15:11:52 »

If I was so hard up as to not be able to afford the tyres, even budget ones, I'm not sure I'd have a big gas guzzler like the Omega
Sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound snobbish or high-and-mighty in any way, although it does read that way  :-[
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2011, 15:15:24 »

As some know, I was doing a lot of miles so had to compromise on tyres... I found a "budget" tyre (because I get mates rates) that fitted the bill but if my mileage drops as expected I'll be going onto a premium tyre, better suspension setup for more fun, and can justify it with the much reduced mileage :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2011, 17:45:06 »

Clearly the deciding factor is how much cash one has in ones pocket. With some enfesis on driving style. Mr TB has, let's say, an aggressive driving style. And a similar lack of patience.  ::)

Most put far less stress through the car. Tunnie for example will make the same pair of three last 3 times as long.

But all that aside, if a person only has £50 available for tyres then what are they to do? Go on the dole as they can't get to work? Let's be serious for a minute. What would you do?

Calm your driving, save on fuel, leave earlier and skimp to pay the bills. More than that is a luxury. No?
I mostly agree, although still think part worns offer no better value, with the added risk of potential unseen damage to them.

I accept that buying a 2nd hand car has similar issues with tyres. Although, obviously, its easier to assume the tyres haven't had a 80mph debate with a kerb, as the car would show signs of that.  Obviously, its not 100% assurance though.

If I was so hard up as to not be able to afford the tyres, even budget ones, I'm not sure I'd have a big gas guzzler like the Omega - something which may explain the fact they are now utterly worthless now  :-/
But that's why people buy them. Best car at that end of the market. And completely besides the point, circumstances change, redundancy etc(heaven forbid) its a job to find a cheaper car.

Fact is if your pockets empty, there's no choice. Simple.

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2011, 17:50:41 »

But that's why people buy them. Best car at that end of the market. And completely besides the point, circumstances change, redundancy etc(heaven forbid) its a job to find a cheaper car.

In fact comparing the two markets, used tyres and used cars. We could argue a used omega is a similar end of the market as a used tyre.

russ0205

• northants
    • mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2011, 17:59:47 »

Exactly chris even if cash was there i can't see the point in spending half the value of the car just to have branded tyres. as i have said my mileage is appx 4.5k a year car is ten years old next year o k its in mint condition but you have to say it owes me nothing and if it went pop tomorrow i would be sad but not half as gutted as i would be having bought brand new top notch tyres.

:-/ :-/

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2011, 18:13:02 »

dont forget you can spend 150 or 25 pounds on a tyre and a 1p nail can still wreck it

feeutfo

« Reply #37 on: 13 August 2011, 18:25:32 »

dont forget you can spend 150 or 25 pounds on a tyre and a 1p nail can still wreck it
Got that T shirt.  >:(

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 August 2011, 18:37:38 »

My mate (who can afford new tyres) always buys part worns, and so far, he's had no trouble.

He's careful as to what he buys though.

I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 August 2011, 20:00:12 »

Exactly chris even if cash was there i can't see the point in spending half the value of the car just to have branded tyres. as i have said my mileage is appx 4.5k a year car is ten years old next year o k its in mint condition but you have to say it owes me nothing and if it went pop tomorrow i would be sad but not half as gutted as i would be having bought brand new top notch tyres.

:-/ :-/
My point wasn't branded v budget, but part-worn v new on a cost basis (and forgetting the potential pitfalls of part worns for now).

I have no issue with budgets. Some, admittedly, are ditchfinders, but some are pretty good.

If you are happy with budgets, than my cost calculations come in even more in favour of new ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2011, 20:01:50 »

Indeed.  Though if you are in that boat, £105 to fill the tank with petrol is far from ideal  :'(
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 August 2011, 23:36:22 »

This is always an interesting discussion  :y

I've never bought premium brand tyres for any car that I've owned, mainly because I'm tight  :-[ , but also because any new tyre has to be manufactured to certain standards....

However, I've had my Mig for 5 years now and as mentioned earlier I've found that budget tyres just don't last on the Omega... So despite my tightness, if I could afford them, I'd have premium ditch avoiders everytime, but like alot of peeps at the mo, I have to cut my cloth.....  :-[

Now here's the thing.... If you buy your part worns from a good dealer, you get the opportunity to give them the once over before you seal the deal, and as said earlier if the dealer isn't keen, walk away! 

Now I'm sure that someone could reply that there might be damage that isn't visual and that's true enough.... However,I once bought a set of budgets, forget the brand, but they were about £50 each and within 1000 miles or so they went out of shape!!!  :o :o It was like driving on squares  :o :o :o

Part worns are less than ideal, lets face it  :-/ but I do think that they are a good alternative to budgets.... if you are careful.... :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 August 2011, 18:51:08 »

For me it is part worns all day long, I have been using them on all my cars for the last 15 years with no problems what so ever. I even use them on my 240BHP track Manta.

Just make sure you give them a good look over before parting with your monny, and as has been said already, if the suppier is not happy with you giving them a once over walk away and go somewhere else.
2.6 CDX Auto Estate,
71 Opel Manta A Series 2.5 V6

Clivey

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 August 2011, 17:11:53 »

The way i look at tyres is if your life is cheap by cheap tyres  :y

This. All day long.

With tyres, always buy the best that you can afford. If you can't afford tyres of an appropriate standard for your car, you can't afford the car. I cannot emphasise this enough, and I am deadly serious.

- I've seen the consequences of having the wrong tyres on a car. Be they dodgy part-worns, remoulds, mismatched tread patterns etc. etc. - they're called "ditchfinders" for a reason.

If the lives of yourself, your passengers and other road users are worthless, fit part-worns. Otherwise, choose carefully. Tyres are the most important suspension and drivetrain component of your car - it's no good having a 3.2-litre Omega on Wanling Crashmasters.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 August 2011, 18:23:37 »

The way i look at tyres is if your life is cheap by cheap tyres  :y

This. All day long.

With tyres, always buy the best that you can afford. If you can't afford tyres of an appropriate standard for your car, you can't afford the car. I cannot emphasise this enough, and I am deadly serious.

- I've seen the consequences of having the wrong tyres on a car. Be they dodgy part-worns, remoulds, mismatched tread patterns etc. etc. - they're called "ditchfinders" for a reason.

If the lives of yourself, your passengers and other road users are worthless, fit part-worns. Otherwise, choose carefully. Tyres are the most important suspension and drivetrain component of your car - it's no good having a 3.2-litre Omega on Wanling Crashmasters.

So, yet another who always fits new tyres when he buys a second hand car. ::) ::) ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.