Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rangey tries to Fire  (Read 817 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
The Rangey tries to Fire
« on: 31 January 2008, 16:18:52 »

on the odd time but not starting up!!!

Took out plug 8 then got mrs to turn the car over, and there is a spark, also it smelled of petrol.....
I did not remove the dizzy so I put it back onto the mark I made before turning it.....
Battery is flat now so gonna charge it over night  :'(

Any ideas Guys???
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: The Rangey tries to Fire
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2008, 16:21:11 »

dizzy rotary arm?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2008, 16:25:01 »

Got the plug leads connected correctly?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2008, 16:26:22 »

dizzy rotary arm?

To be honest Tunnie I haven't fitted a new Rotor Arm.... It is about twelve months old......
The new dizzy cap I have put on now has little spots on the electrodes inside :-?
I can get one no problem tomorrow but seems funny it was working before i started :'(
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2008, 16:28:45 »

Got the plug leads connected correctly?

To be honest I have wondered that myself Mark according to the Haynes Manual there are two different ways, pre "87 and "87 onwards so I have done it to that, but the pre 87 are one position further around

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2008, 16:42:08 »

Number 8 is virtually at the front of the car, clockwise 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2, 1

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2008, 16:45:11 »

Hi Daz. Was the RR running before you started? The reason i ask is because when i had my RR which was a 89 model, the ignition amplifier moduel went tits up on it. It gave a spark at the plugs but just was not strong enough to fire her up. This moduel is bolted to the side of the dizzy if i remember correctly and is a bit of a tw*t to get to. Hope this helps, Jez  :-/

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2008, 16:49:50 »

I fitted a new one of them Jez about 4 months ago, and your right a pain to get to.... But yes it was running great other than getting water in the front drivers side cylinder (number 2)......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2008, 19:25:12 »

I would confirm the leads are on correctly. Turn to the TDC mark on the crank with no. 1 on compression. (loosen the spark plug in cyl. 1 and you should hear air hissing out on the way up to tdc) and then make sure the rotor arm is under the plug lead for cylinder 1. Then follow the firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) round the cap checking that the right lead is to the right cylinder as you go.

Can't remember if the dizzy rotates clockwise or anti-clockwise but you need to follow it in the direction of normal rotation. (rotate the crank clockwise and see which way the dizzy turns).

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2008, 19:48:00 »

Cheers Kev I will try that in the morning, but again how will i know which is the firing stroke or exhaust stroke? the rotor arm will be pointing at a different cylinder if its on exhaust shouldn't it? so if i rotate the crank twice or more i should get an idea which it is pointing too....
Does that sound about right?

Daz

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2008, 19:56:55 »

Cheers Kev I will try that in the morning, but again how will i know which is the firing stroke or exhaust stroke? the rotor arm will be pointing at a different cylinder if its on exhaust shouldn't it? so if i rotate the crank twice or more i should get an idea which it is pointing too....
Does that sound about right?

Daz

Assuming the ignition leads are in the wrong place, so not relying on the rotor arm at all, if you loosen the plug in cylinder no. 1 (in fact, remove all the other plugs to make it easier) you will feel compression and hear gas hissing from around the loose plug as you turn the crank up to the TDC mark, when no. 1 is on the firing stroke. When you reach the TDC mark, no. 1 is at TDC on the firing stroke and the rotor arm should then be nearest the lead for cylinder 1.

It's harder to explain than to do. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2008, 20:02:34 »

right I will give it a go, but I do have the plug leads in the same place as the manual, checked about half a dozen times, i even put the old dizzy cap on incase the new one was crap... When I took the new one off it has little spots on the electrodes, as though it has been sparking on them...
I will check again and do what you have said, then check over all the leads again plus the earth strap that fastens to the back of N/S head...
« Last Edit: 31 January 2008, 20:03:14 by Loo-knee »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.