Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neither key fob nor inserting key into door lock opens the car (or boot)  (Read 1918 times)

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile

Today the key fob will not open the door or the boot.  The red light on the key flashes but the lock does not open.

I therefore inserted the key to unlock it mechanically but it would not open.  When I turn the key clockwise I can see the lock-pull-up button moving slightly but it does not come up.

How do I get into the car without doing any? too much? damage?

Why won't the key open the door mechanically?  I last did so a week or two ago when the key-fob battery was low so the lock worked then.

Points of possible interest.

1.  I changed the key fob battery a week or so ago and the key worked OK until today
2.  I locked the car with two button presses so it is deadlocked.
3.  I last used the car on Friday when all was working OK except the radio had stopped working and the display was blank in the centre portion.  The clock was displaying but does not say it is synch-ed to the radio signal.

I don't have a second key - would buying a spare from Vauxhall help?

As always all help will be gratefully appreciated.

EDIT:  Is it a flat battery which stops the central locking working?  If so, why won't the key work the lock mechanically? I'll search the forum to see how I can pop the bonnet.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2020, 16:10:00 by Darius »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

Why won't the key open the door mechanically?  I last did so a week or two ago when the key-fob battery was low so the lock worked then.

Points of possible interest.

1.  I changed the key fob battery a week or so ago and the key worked OK until today
2.  I locked the car with two button presses so it is deadlocked.

I don't have a second key - would buying a spare from Vauxhall help?

As always all help will be gratefully appreciated.

#2 answers all your questions!

It's deadlocked so you need a lot more force on the key to operate the lock.

Having a new key(which you don't have to get from Vauxhall) is not going to help. Although you ought to have a second key :y

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile

Nick

Brilliant!  Many thanks.

When I turn the key clockwise I meet resistance and the button wiggles a bit.  If I then increase pressure I hear a click.  The button does not come up, which fooled me at first, but the door can be opened with the handle.  I dug out the manual and, as always, Please read the manual would have worked - it's on page 58 - "Lock button remains in depressed position".

The battery is as flat as a proverbial pancake and the power sounder (I have replaced it once already) is going to be chucked as far as I can throw it.

A thought.  I know it's old and no-one will want to pinch it, but I read that insurers have "Check if the power sounder has been removed" on their checklist for Omegas.  Can I still leave it in place but just cut the 12V wire from the car battery to it?  The sounder will go off until its rechargeable battery goes flat ... and I will never be bothered by it again.  Or does it disable the car from starting when it goes off?

Could another thought be to put a diode in the lead from the 12V battery.  That's way, the car battery can charge the power sounder but the power sounder cannot discharge the car battery.  I've seen the photos: I suppose it could still catch fire.

I'll get another key - I just don't fancy paying about £160 for it.  That's probably more than the car is worth.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

The insurers may be asking the question to defend against  fire damage payouts...

Best have a conversation with them as to the reasoning behind the question.

Either unplug it and remove or replace it, but don't just cut the wire... That would pretty much guarantee burning the car to the ground when it inevitably touches something else :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile

Couple of suggestions that have worked for me....flat battery and stiff lock solution is to attach a +jump lead from a good battery to the starter motor + terminal and hey presto you have power to operate the central locking
Re the power sounder just snuck in behind the scuttle with some snips and cut the wire,then seal open end with shrink wrapr or insulating tape...dont worry about insurance on a 17 yr old car

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile

flat battery and stiff lock solution is to attach a +jump lead from a good battery to the starter motor + terminal and hey presto you have power to operate the central locking
What a good idea. 

I was wondering how I could get access to a 12V lead so I could apply some power and this solves it.  I was thinking of running a 12V lead into the one tail light cluster so I could remove the plastic cover and get to 12V.  I only have one towing socket so it doesn't have a 12V pin.

I could not find anything in the forum on how to pop the bonnet from outside.  Searching on bonnet gets only 30 hits and none say how to pop it other than a reference to smashing the plastic grill to get access.  But now I know how to unlock it I don't need to worry about it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

...Re the power sounder just snuck in behind the scuttle with some snips and cut the wire,then seal open end with shrink wrapr or insulating tape...dont worry about insurance on a 17 yr old car
1. The wire is connected directly to the battery live. Rather than cutting it, simply unplug it and clip it up on the back of the strut.

2. The primary issue with the power sounder is that water gets in and the internal batteries short causing a fire fuelled directly from the main battery. The chances are that more Omegas catch fire due to failed power sounders than are stolen because they don't have one. This is probably the reason for the question from the insurers.

3. I think you'll find insurance is a legal prerequisite regardless of vehicle age :o

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile

I charged the battery and everything is OK, including the radio.  I therefore assume the radio would not work because the battery voltage was too low.

I guess the problem of uncharged batteries is worse now I am using the car so little though I am surprised that the 30 miles I drove on Friday did not fully charge the battery.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

It's nothing like enough, especially with lights/wipers/blower going.

Budget for a new battery by the end of the year.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

I charged the battery and everything is OK, including the radio.  I therefore assume the radio would not work because the battery voltage was too low.

I guess the problem of uncharged batteries is worse now I am using the car so little though I am surprised that the 30 miles I drove on Friday did not fully charge the battery.

Just because a battery has 12.5volts in it does not mean it's any good. I would expect to replace it now, but a proper battery test would be sensible

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

If a battery has gone completely flat, you've damaged it.  If you let it go partially flat over a long period, you've damaged it.  End of.

Now how much damage depends on how deeply discharged it was, and for how long.  But that battery will never reach its full capacity again :(
Grumpy old man

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile

It got given a new one in January.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

It got given a new one in January.
And?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.