Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fault gets a bit worse  (Read 2001 times)

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
Fault gets a bit worse
« on: 23 February 2021, 18:21:26 »

Hi everybody thanks for replies on the dimmer question.Driving along today on a short trip and the internal front inside light is stuck permantly on
Then the engine managment light comes on and stays on.Code reader shows 1 code P0304.Felt like i had lost a bit of power as well.had to remove light so as not to run down battery.Any ideas thanks gavin

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Fault gets a bit worse
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2021, 18:29:49 »

0304 is Cylinder 4 missfire

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2021, 18:30:58 »

cant see them being connected thou.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2021, 18:37:43 »

Had a bit of Mayo on oil cap other day just thought it was because its cold.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2021, 18:41:54 »

have mayo on the cap permanently . on mine thats because over the last 5 years ive only done a 3 mile journey to work once a week in it and the occasional drive out on a weekend. it will only be in the top end of the neck where the condensation rises to

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2021, 18:58:07 »

Yep thanks thats what i thought.Opened the main fuse box and its a white relay shaped thing thats making all the buzzing noise as well as constantly tripping.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2021, 19:17:45 »

tripping ?

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2021, 19:19:29 »

Sorry its just buzzing sounds like its clicking over and over.Its a white relay in the main fuse box under the steering wheel.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2021, 19:32:38 »

yes thats it.( the lights on warning buzzer) its not that thats faulty  just a consequence of the fault. you could unplug it if you want until you sort out the fault .
i assume it makes the noise but quieter than if you actually open the door with lights on ?.then it comes on as normal .
also noise varies with dimmer switch position and key position.
on mine it did flatten the battery overnight but then it could be a different fault ?  ?
quite a few people have had this issue recently and like mr gollum says probably a combination of damp weather and not using car much especially as with the lockdown.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2021, 19:50:46 »

Thanks mate.Its gotta be water coming in from the door thats shorting something.Was worried it might be the start of a head gasket failure.Tommorrow im off so im gonna take a good look at it.I will take the door card off see if its wet inside there.Will take off plenuim and remove spark packs and then remove spark plugs and check for oil.Also check the coolant etc.A P304 could i suppose be caused by water ingress into the packs if somethings not right i suppose.As for the interior light being stuck on i dont know.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2021, 20:10:24 »

if you have a meter just trace your way back . i started at the warning buzzer socket on the 31 pin.this is the blue wire i mentioned.
it actually goes all the way across the car under the carpets and terminates about 6" above the big connector blocks behind the passenger kick panel .it joins to several other blue wires.
 i cut the joint and found just 1 low to earth wire. traced it back to the drivers door connector.ive left mine unconnected and its fine. that blue wire is now clear to earth but its still unconnected .
if you look in your door check its the blue wire issue first to save unnesessary work.im curious where it goes to ??
as for the missfire you should find something. damp or water in the plugwell(idealy) or maybee oil ( less ideal !) and possibly some cracking insulation on the coilpack. this can be cleaned up/ dried out and epoxy sealed if nesessary if its not too bad and worth trying first before a new one . water can be dried up,plug cleaned externally and either find the cause of scuttle leak or add an extra rubber mat between engine top and scuttle foam as well .

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2021, 20:29:37 »

Thanks mate, didnt know that buzzer was in the fuse box.Ive got tech2 on computer somewhere so will look at the wiring diagrams for that.How do i find a short to earth.Will keep you posted as to what the score is  :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2021, 20:37:53 »

you need a multimeter set to ohms. probably wont pick anything up unitil you go into the 2k scale but it was enough to fool the ecu. .definately shouldnt get a reading on basic 200ohm scale .
test between body and the blue wire .or( the 31 terminal socket where the buzzer plugs into. / or the lightswitch if you have removed that ?) same wire ! same number ( 31 b i think was its full marking but 31 anyway !)
youl be ok .
oh and test it with the doors shut or it will be zero anyway !

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2021, 20:45:04 »

Thanks, i take it im looking for a reading of an amount of ohms on the meter.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2021, 20:52:39 »

Thinking about it it had a towbar on it which i didnt need so i removed it and the wiring was behind the plastic panel in the boot.I taped them off but maybe theyve got wet.Will have to check that as well.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2021, 21:54:10 »

And the windscreen is starting to delaminate ive noticed at the bottom where the seal is next to the scuttle its not really sealed very well, you can lift it.Could i run some black gasket seal along it. Would the water just run straight of the screen into the bay

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2021, 22:08:12 »

New screen with new frame and rubber.

If it's been letting water in long enough to affect the glass, then it is unlikely to pop back on correctly.

The issue being that the frame and rubber trim is fitted to the glass before the glass is fitted to the car.
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2021, 22:28:22 »

the water should run down the screen and over the rubber seal onto the plastic scuttle. if its not fitted to the bottom of the glass correctly water can get under the rubber and go behind the plastic,soaking the foam and then dripping onto the top of the engine.usually affecting plug 6 .if the bottom strip is loose already you can only improve it by resealing it to the lower edge of the glass.ordinary black sealant isnt realy strong enough.idealy low modulus or actual screen glue would work best. if the rest of the screen is watertight and fits well its got to be worth a try. i sealed mine 5 years ago by the very same method and its kept the foam dry since. although ive now just had a screen out repaint so lets hope its still ok  now !
if you do remove the screen they are still available.i just paid £160 + vat for mine plus fitting but the old screen is here if you need it ?

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2021, 22:34:24 »

Cool guys i think we found out where the faults are coming from i bet its soaking wet when i look tommorrow.Is there a best way to dry it all out and thanks yep i might need the screen at some point.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2021, 23:04:55 »

just remove the scuttle panel.( top plastic screws,wiper arms ,1 screw ) and you will need to disconnect the washers if you want to remove it completely but it will dry out on its own if you squueze the most out .some say remove the foam but its there for a reason otherwise gm wouldnt have bothered in the first place.helps with noise supression .
now you can see the bottom window rubber strip which should be fixed to the glass. chances are it wont be .mine wasnt originally. glue it back with whatever is your prefffered sealant making sure that water cannot run into and under it.
yes its supposed to be a window out job to do properly apparently but you cant make it any worse if its already loose  can you.
the white delamination damage cannot be repaired however so thats up to you as or when it gets too unsightly / too damaged. its a fault with the glass itself but could take years to progress ?
my brothers has been starting to go white for the last 5 years or so but is very slow. no leaks and he cant see it from inside only from one corner if you stand right next to the car. !
cant see any water issues here ( or the towbar wiring)affecting the interior electrical problems you are having but most likely causing the  misfire ( if not oil / cam cover gasket)
but all needs sorting / eliminating anyway.
all part of the fun !

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2021, 23:33:11 »

Thanks mate.Its gotta be water coming in from the door thats shorting something.Was worried it might be the start of a head gasket failure.Tommorrow im off so im gonna take a good look at it.I will take the door card off see if its wet inside there.

Have a look at post #7 in the topic 'Dash Dimmer Causing Noise'. If you are convinced it could be water getting in from the door (which I doubt), equally it could be a leak similar to mine from the sunroof drain, with water running from the headlining to the back of the A pillar trim, which then guides it to the side of the dash before running behind the kick panel. When I took the end cover off the dash, water had collect on the ledges in the dash area behind the light switches. Just a suggestion to check for damp in that area 're your electrical issues.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2021, 18:25:12 »

Hi everyone thanks for all the input.set about taking the scuttle off and yep it was wet in the center of the screen below on the foam backing.I noticed the gasket seemed ok just not tight to the glass, so i cleaned it as it was full of muck, cleaned the edge of the glass.Got all of the water out of the foam and dryed it out.I also took the drivers side door card off as the seal along the piller was loose and there was a gap at the bottom.Inside the door card the water proof membrain was original and still ok but it was soaking wet between that and the door card.I dryed both of them out put them back reconnect the main center headliner light and for a bit on locking the light went out but all of a sudden it stayed on lol. So i left it disconnected, meanwhile it started running ruff again and the engine management came on.I turned it off left it for a bit then took it on a massive drive, to really warm it up, to which it drove fine.When i did the thermostat i noticed someone had done the oil cooler.I take it the next thing is to take out the coil packs check the plugs and wells for oil.Any ideas Many thanks Gavin
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.