Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Omega Market / what to do with my project (Not a FS Thread)  (Read 3177 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile

This is not a for-sale thread, but more me musing about what to do with my Omega - having seen a scrap yard have just offered £800 for one!

I am curious, what is the market currently like for trading / buying / selling Omegas? I am not asking the question blindly, I have tried to gauge it from forums and auction websites, and such, but I'm finding it hard to do, because there are so few for sale, and some of the prices seem (to me) to be unrealistically high.

I have an Omega at home, that I'm under pressure to do something with. It's a 2.6 V6 CDX Auto, and has been sat here since September and hasn't moved. I bought it for either £500 or £550 (can't recall which) with an oil cooler failure (caught very early). and a shagged alternator.

Just after buying it, I stripped the engine down (cooling system, rad, stat, oil cooler) etc all out. I've also removed the timing belt kit and w/pump ready for a new one to be fitted. (I left the cam covers on, and the plugs in, to prevent moisture ingress while it stands).

Since I took it apart, a few months ago, I have totally lost interest. The cold weather probably hasn't helped, but I literally, cannot be arsed to put it back together. No motivation at all. I know it would usually be a leisurely days work for me, but I have been down in the dumps and fed up for ages and I have zero inclination to work on an Omega and don't see that changing anytime soon.

It's a shame, because I have bought loads of new parts for it. New shiny/clear header tank, stat, cambelt kit and pump, cam cover gaskets, seals, oil, filter, ATF etc.

I'm going to have to do something with it soon, either flog it as is, for a discounted rate, or, fix it and either enjoy it / or sell it as a working car with a full MOT. It does still have some MOT, and is also still insured even thought it's off the road. It's not rusty, but sitting there without moving is likely to soon change that.

Apart from some dull paintwork, it's a cracking example. Immaculate inside, none of the common visible rust patches, but is let down by a faded / dull boot and roof lid, and a crease in the OSR door. But, without many around, they are small matters. I think it's had two owners, the first chap had it for many years, and there is a folder of paperwork and bills coming to what must be tens of thousands. 98k on the clock.

I drove it home from MK and did a further 20 or so miles in it, the engine is sweet and it drives as expected.

My temptation is to just get shot for spares/repairs.  But, I am also wondering if, come the spring and I feel a bit better, I might bitterly regret doing so  :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Current Omega Market / what to do with my project (Not a FS Thread)
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2023, 07:18:17 »

Duplicate post in error.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2023, 08:43:33 »

I know full well that if you're down in the dumps it's hard to work up enthusiasm to do stuff,but if you do nothing the spell in the doldrums will only last longer.As you have the parts and the knowledge/skill to fix it I'd say do so then make the decision to keep or sell.Although fixing it may only be an easy days work for you remember you don't have to fix it in a day[it's not as though you need it done to get to work or anything]so maybe just spend an hour[or whatever]putting the oil cooler and 'stat in then walk away and put the pump/cambelt on another day and so on.No way to tell without seeing it but perhaps the bootlid/roof paintwork might respond to cutting compound and buff? Whatever you decide I hope that whatever is getting you down soon passes and you feel more optimistic about the future.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2023, 08:54:45 »

You will be able to get it all fixed for a fraction of the cost of 99% of other people.

If you offload it broken it'll be scrapped or broken for parts (and I'm not sure there's even much of a market for Omega parts these days).

I think it makes a nice project, fix it up bit by bit. Definitely polish the paint that'll help it sell. Then sell it. Even if you don't get a great price someone will get a decent car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2023, 10:25:04 »

This^^^ :y

Obviously, if it needs gone, then you need to knuckle down and at least get it running.

As it sits, it's just a paperweight. But if it can wait  a spell longer, then first sunny days off, get it done. Throw in a bacon butty or two and I'm sure we can rustle up a few people to smash it out. Might make it a bit more entertaining to do as well :y

For what it's worth, I have some time spare after next week into March...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2023, 10:30:57 »

The car is irrelevant.

Work on your motivation and what you actually want to spend your resources on. Time, effort, money, health, mental health, space etc are all resources.

Clearing out all the unstarted/unfinished projects and the junk that went with them was almost as good for me as quitting the job that was making me ill.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2023, 10:48:24 »

The car is irrelevant.

Work on your motivation and what you actually want to spend your resources on. Time, effort, money, health, mental health, space etc are all resources.

Clearing out all the unstarted/unfinished projects and the junk that went with them was almost as good for me as quitting the job that was making me ill.
Sage words, Nick  ;)
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2023, 11:58:33 »

Yeah, what Nick W says.

If you think working on the car - something you used to enjoy - might lift your mood or give temporary respite from your current state of mind, then have a bash this weekend, weather looks OK, and not too cold, and then reconsider on Monday what you want to do with it.

If you just want it gone, call the scrap place offering £800, job jobbed.

I've been having major clearouts lately, mostly for landfill as I really, really, REALLY CBA to deal with ebay idiots currently.  And stuff with value like the childish, but insanely good fun Kraton I had spare, given to mates.  That said, I did just sell one of my drones to a mate of a mate, but thats hassle free, unlike ebay....   ....I wouldn't ever dream of selling something like a drone on ebay, thats a recipe for not only losing your money, but being down on postage as well, so easier/cheaper to take to the tip.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2023, 17:26:20 »

Sell the car & use the money to have a few days away, don't know what problems you have & don't want to pry into your personal situation but removing the object that is causing concern will undoubtedly help.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2023, 23:34:10 »

Thanks, folks. I think deep down I don't want to admit defeat, and I should, slowly, get it going. I'd imagine once I start, it will take shape quite rapidly!

I am worrying disproportionally about things. I know how capable I am with engines - Omegas in particular, and I know I could do a good job of getting it running, if I can find the focus. I'm by no means an engineer, but, I'm handy with the spanners, and I know the Omega engines and their nuances literally blindfolded - to the individual bolts / connectors, seals etc, just to look at.

But, I worry about the fact I can't find an oil cooler for sensible money. I think I'd regret spending £400 on one. I have a very tidy used one here, but, even though I know the chap who gave it to me, I don't want to fit a used part. I do keep toying with the external option.

Part of that, is because, I am going to have a fair few weeks of time on my hands this summer, and I am thinking of driving it to see my loved ones in the south of Spain. (Just because I can). I don't want to be in the south of France or beyond, with a shagged oil cooler pumping goo into the coolant.... and it will be hot, making the external cooler a reasonable shout.  Given the age of the thing, if I make the trip, I will only be getting breakdown cover to get me to a safe place - not recovery back to UK! (I joke that if it goes badly wrong, I'll rip the plates off it and fly home!) ;D

You all know I like to experiment with effective ways to maintain Omegas. Remember, it was I who found the £20 cambelt kit trick, and the fact you could buy two (without the lower idler) to make a good kit for £40 :)

Maybe I'll just do the external cooler option despite a couple of conflicting opinions, and see how it works out. It's not going to hurt anything to try, it's easily reversible, etc. And might help someone in the future. A fairly low risk bet to take one for the team.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2023, 09:05:31 »

i would have no problems fitting a used oil cooler .after all every omega on the road now is fitted with a 'used'oil cooler.in fact every car on the road theoretically is just a collection of used parts of various ages bolted together.thats the same argument about part worn tyres,etc etc etc.
as regards the motivation ,ive had many times in the past when ive lifted carpets and found huge amounts of rust on cars and become dishertened with them and wanted to give up/scrap them. i was told the best solution was to come out of the garage,close the door and go inside until you were in a better frame of mind and could start the repairs systematically and in smaller sections.
one of my cavs had badly rusted outer,inner sills ,floor and footwells and was nearly scrapped in the late 90's
i still own that car now !

also. we are supposed to be omega enthusiasts on here so ANY repairs should just get done .the idea of "value" vs scrapyard offerings should not even come to mind.  ive seen this idea in a few other threads and shouldnt even be discussed !

you james are a proper enthusiast from your postings over the years so im convinced you will get the motivation to carry on with it and then start enjoying it as you did. even if you get it finished and sell it as a working car ,better than scrapping it.

respect to you

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2023, 11:57:07 »

Is there a way of pressure testing your oil cooler?  ???  :-\

Maybe blanking off one end with a bolt the same size as the banjo bolt and bodging up something with a schrader valve at the other?

Might be worth taking it to B&Q/plumbers suppliers/hardware shop for a rummage through their nuts, bolts, plumbing fittings to see what would fit and what you could bodge up?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2023, 16:37:54 »

sat mine in some water just enough to come up level with top, thumb over the one hole and old tyre valve in other and gave it some with the air line. Soon spotted the bubbles, also filled it with brake cleaner and then pressured  it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2023, 17:09:41 »

also. we are supposed to be omega enthusiasts on here so ANY repairs should just get done .the idea of "value" vs scrapyard offerings should not even come to mind.  ive seen this idea in a few other threads and shouldnt even be discussed !

The title is Omega Owners Forum. These things are(or at least were) just everyday cars and not priceless objects, so value is a crucial part of discerning whether a car is worth repairing. It's a fact that the remaining cars are in a dangerous place of being worth very little while needing repairs that can significantly exceed their value. This true of other cars that have always had a more enthusiastic owners group - the MGF is one.

Sometimes the best thing an owner can do for their Omega is to no longer be one.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2023, 08:21:49 »

Right, well I am out of bed, had a cuppa, lit the fire, and I'm now going outside to tinker. No idea what if anything I'll get done, maybe it'll just be some cleaning / sorting of tools, clean the engine bay a bit more etc, but I'm determined to achieve SOMETHING!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.