Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 218790 times)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #1485 on: 01 November 2013, 03:17:02 »

Very interesting, but could I ask please the following questions:

* The 77 route - was it heavily patronised, especially during the Summer period?

The '77' was worked by Swansea (Brunswick) depot, which had around 100 buses 'on shed' at that time.

The route was essentially a cross-city operation which linked Pontlasse (nowadays the vast Morriston Hospital) in the northern suburbs, via the City Centre and the sweep of Swansea Bay with Mumbles Pier and Limeslade. End-to-end scheduled running time was around an hour, and it ran to a basic half-hourly frequency along it's entirety, with half-hourly 'short workings' dovetailed-in between the City Centre and Mumbles Pier.

The first bus of the day left Brunswick at an unearthly 0325 hours on Mons - Sats; whilst the last returning bus ran-in just after midnight each day.
These heavily-patronised routes were 'all stops' along their entire length, so obviously the Regent Vs took a constant hammering, seven days a week.   

There were also the 74/75/76 routes which followed the 77 as far as Oystermouth, before branching-off to Caswell Bay/Langland Bay/Newton. So, looking at the timetable you'll see a bus every few minutes along the Mumbles road.
In addition to these there were the 84/85's which served the same destinations on a half-hourly frequency, though these left Swansea via the leafy western suburb of Sketty.

The Summer timetable saw these frequencies increased further, and brought about significant challenges to the Company, especially when the sunny sunshine turned to rain in the afternoons.
Droves of folk would suddenly dash off the beaches and require immediate homeward transportation. As experienced operators, SWT seasonally based an Inspector at Oystermouth along with a few spare Regent Vs and crews, ready to move the masses as the need arose.

Willowbrook-bodied 586:

... filmed in action on the '77':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82nHBeq3jkM

Listen to the melodious D166 'box!

Any more questions ... on the Regent V? 8)   

« Last Edit: 01 November 2013, 03:29:10 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1486 on: 11 December 2013, 15:55:56 »

We often talk about car tyres and their development, but what about Bus and Lorry tyres?

In the early years of the 20th century I know there were many vehicles, including steam buses and lorries, that had solid tyres.  Slowly with those modes of transport, behind it seems motor car tyres, development took place to produce heavy duty pneumatic examples.

What, why, and how did developments take place?  What were the difficulties in providing heavy duty large tyres?  How did they develop throughout the 20th century, and what are the special features of the latest commercial vehicle tyres, that must have to take tremendous loads and pressures?

Perhaps our resident expert on these matters, Seth, can enlighten?? :D :D :D :) :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: 11 December 2013, 17:27:38 »

I've changed a few truck tyres with the old fashioned 'split rims' and I've seen one go 'Bang' where it wasn't fitted properly!! :o :o :o

They're quite scary to fit and seriously dangerous if not done right!!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1488 on: 11 December 2013, 17:33:59 »

I've changed a few truck tyres with the old fashioned 'split rims' and I've seen one go 'Bang' where it wasn't fitted properly!! :o :o :o

Yes, I have heard that in the past.  Someone I knew was working as a commercial vehicle tyre fitter when his mate was decapitated by a "flying" ring when not using a protective cage properly! :o :o :o :o

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: 11 December 2013, 17:42:50 »

Yes, I have heard that in the past.  Someone I knew was working as a commercial vehicle tyre fitter when his mate was decapitated by a "flying" ring when not using a protective cage properly! :o :o :o :o

I can well believe it,having seen one go off!!  :o  I believe it's against every rule in the bulging Health and Safety book not to use a safety cage when changing split rims, if not down right illegal!!!  :-\

I'd imagine many of Seth's vintage buses would feature them.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: 11 December 2013, 23:39:14 »

Many of the larger bus operators actually 'rented' their tyres on a 'condition/mileage' basis from the respective manufacturers.

All of Western Welsh's were procured thus from Michelin for many years, and they based a tyre fitter at each depot as per the contract terms.
From the late 1960s onwards, tubeless tyres became the norm. This not only simplified the lot of the tyre-fitter, but it also importantly made the task of changing tyres on each wheel rim much safer, as the older 'tubed' tyres/rims (with locking ring) were gradually phased-out.

A couple of the tyre types in service during the mid-70s:

Michelin XZA - used in 9.00 x 20 and 10.00 x 20 sizes

Michelin XZU - 10.00 x 20 only
Power steering was a rarely-specified option on heavy commercials at that time, and the XZU went some way to reducing the commonly-reported 'heavy steering' defect by our drivers, particularly on these early 36ft Leyland Leopards:

A rigidly-enforced company policy saw the coach fleet running on brand-new tyres [all-round] only.When these became life-expired, they were re-grooved and run-off on the rears of buses.
Buses, however, always had brand-new tyres fitted to the front axle, with re-grooved tyres allowed only on the rear axle. Nowt to do with the law you understand, just company policy!

Interestingly, if you purchased a bus from WW; you'd be quoted a price for the vehicle ... plus tyres!

;)

Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1491 on: 15 December 2013, 11:46:08 »

Many of the larger bus operators actually 'rented' their tyres on a 'condition/mileage' basis from the respective manufacturers.

All of Western Welsh's were procured thus from Michelin for many years, and they based a tyre fitter at each depot as per the contract terms.
From the late 1960s onwards, tubeless tyres became the norm. This not only simplified the lot of the tyre-fitter, but it also importantly made the task of changing tyres on each wheel rim much safer, as the older 'tubed' tyres/rims (with locking ring) were gradually phased-out.

Power steering was a rarely-specified option on heavy commercials at that time, and the XZU went some way to reducing the commonly-reported 'heavy steering' defect by our drivers, particularly on these early 36ft Leyland Leopards:

A rigidly-enforced company policy saw the coach fleet running on brand-new tyres [all-round] only.When these became life-expired, they were re-grooved and run-off on the rears of buses.
Buses, however, always had brand-new tyres fitted to the front axle, with re-grooved tyres allowed only on the rear axle. Nowt to do with the law you understand, just company policy!

Interestingly, if you purchased a bus from WW; you'd be quoted a price for the vehicle ... plus tyres!

;)

Thanks Seth! :y :y :y :y

Any info on solid to pneumatic tyre development please as I am very interested to know the historical facts.  I know that buses used to ferry troops to the front lines during The Great War had solid tyres, which no doubt was a plus when thinking about the debris that littered those roads!  But when did it all change, even for steam lorries and buses Seth?

:y :y :y
« Last Edit: 15 December 2013, 11:55:54 by Lizzie Zoom »

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: 31 December 2013, 21:33:00 »

Off to the fair city of Winchester first thing in da morning for the 'Friends of King Alfred' Running Day:

http://s262662507.websitehome.co.uk/page41.html

Will try and sort a report and some pictures upon my return! ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: 01 January 2014, 01:43:49 »

;)

My ex brother in law has a small fleet and I remember him re grooving tyres, sometimes more than once....... ;) ::) :-X

Thinking back to those days I drove for a number of companies, some of whom were terrible with their maintenance, I have driven some crap over the years........ ::) ::)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1494 on: 01 January 2014, 10:23:18 »

Does anyone know the details of the coach now featuring in the new "Go Compare advert"?

It is obviously a modern coach. :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: 02 January 2014, 23:17:57 »

Off to the fair city of Winchester first thing in da morning for the 'Friends of King Alfred' Running Day:

http://s262662507.websitehome.co.uk/page41.html

Will try and sort a report and some pictures upon my return! ;)

Despite the inclement weather, hundreds of hardy souls made the trek to this event.
The FoKAB people's sterling efforts brought forth a tremendous kaleidoscope of vehicular variety, and really must be congratulated for recreating the city's public transport scene when the Chisnell family provided the local bus services. A full timetable of their services was maintained throughout the day, generally using the preserved examples.

Although the conditions weren't really photogenic, here's my efforts:

Awaiting it's next trip to the P&R site: An AEC Swift with dual-doored Strachan 'Pacemaster' body.
8.2-litre AH505 engine under the rear overhang and new to Southampton City Transport on May Day 1967!

Laying-over in the Bus Station: A former LT Country Area MCW-bodied AEC Merlin.
Similar chassis to the Swift model, though powered by the 11.3-litre AH691 engine.

A 1964 Leyland Atlantean with 76-seat MCW single-door highbridge body.
Prior to preservation, this example put in 16 years of sterling service on the streets of Portsmouth.

Managed a trip out to Stockbridge on this 1969 ECW-bodied Bristol RE.
It's Gardner 6HLX engine gave years of economical and reliable thrashing between North Wales/Liverpool and London.

A 1959 Leyland Tiger Cub: Splendidly-restored and returned to it's old stamping ground by FoKAB.
This one has the less-common synchromesh 'box, and our driver managed some pretty nifty 'snatch-changes' on some of the hilly ascents along it's route!