Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: knock sensor problems  (Read 659 times)

x1xv45

knock sensor problems
« on: 25 June 2010, 08:23:30 »

The engine management light keeps coming on and paper clip test shows knock sensor fault. There is a vague pattern in it - seems to come on after driving a bit, then dropping revs below 2000rpm, stays on in city driving and traffic, but goes off when revs go up and stay up for a while (cruising). There is some tappet noise, but it's loudest when engine is cold, and warning light usually doesn't come on then. Timing belt looks fine, and should have 15k miles left.

When this started I checked oil level and it was on the low end of dipstick, and I thought it might be sorted with more oil, but no luck. Also checked for oil getting into spark plug wells (no).

What next? Where is the knock sensor on 2.0l Omega (X reg)?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: knock sensor problems
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2010, 09:31:42 »

Check the wiring from the plug to knock sensor, repair any damage.
Grumpy old man

x1xv45

« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2010, 14:32:15 »

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure what you mean by plug (guessing the DIS connector?), and I can't find the location of knock sensor in Haynes, so I'm at a loss here - can you clarify for me?

Tonka.

• Omega Knight
  • Lincoln, Lincolnshire
    • 2000 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2010, 22:43:03 »

Mine had knock sensor fault and emissions light on the dash. No damage to wires though.
It had been running on Tesco fuel for months and a good mechanic told me to put a tank of Shell in. I did and the car rectified itself within 10 miles. Something to do with the ignition of the fuel causing a knock (pinking). Coincidence :y
« Last Edit: 25 June 2010, 22:43:32 by Tonkapaj »

The happiest people don't have the best of everything,
they just make the best of everything they have.

x1xv45

« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2010, 12:28:49 »

The tip on petrol quality is a good one, thanks Tonkapaj.

Yesterday I replaced the spark plugs - I thought I had already done that a year ago, so didn't look till yesterday - my bad. I hesitate to say cured, but today I've put the car through a lot of traffic without seeing the engine mgmt light, so fingers crossed.

I still haven't been able to see the knock sensor itself. I think I know where it is now - the cable runs down from connector on a bracket below and slightly in front of the DIS connector, but from above or below, I couldn't see or get my hand in to feel the other end of the cable or the sensor - if I took out the starter motor, I might be able to get at it, but I wonder... Has anybody actually taken the knock sensor out on the 2.0 DOHC ecotec? How did you go about it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.