Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 10 - Is it time yet?  (Read 4104 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Win 10 - Is it time yet?
« on: 26 April 2016, 14:12:36 »

As per the title.  I have waited to upgrade as I do not want to get bogged down with faff and bugs.  So has it been long enough yet?  I have to either reimage or upgrade as it has been 3 years since a rebuild and the old girl is getting slower and slower despite being a Xeon dual quad with 16gb of ram.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 - Is it time yet?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2016, 17:48:54 »

I guess the November update could be classed as "SP1".

Personally, I have very few issues - had a printing issue about 2 months ago, but new printer driver resolved.

If you go for it, do the free upgrade (do it off ISO downloadable from MS, rather than the automated update) in order to get the electronic entitlement, THEN do a full burn and build off the same ISO, but blowing away the disks.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2016, 18:16:58 »

Personally, I have very few issues - had a printing issue about 2 months ago, but new printer driver resolved.

If you go for it, do the free upgrade (do it off ISO downloadable from MS, rather than the automated update) in order to get the electronic entitlement, THEN do a full burn and build off the same ISO, but blowing away the disks.
[/highlight]

I see that the free upgrade stops in July, so I better think about it, but what does that mean in non-nerdspeak? ??? ??? ???

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2016, 18:23:15 »

My notebook came with win10.....and I like it  :y

However my desktop still has win7 on it.....im a hanging back until I find the licence key for a program I have on it....as if I do a clean install of win10 I will have to re-install the program.....and I guessing trying to do a restore from a win7 backup for that program it aint gonna work!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2016, 18:50:21 »

Right I shall get on it this weekend.  Thanks :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2016, 18:56:29 »

[/highlight]

I see that the free upgrade stops in July, so I better think about it, but what does that mean in non-nerdspeak? ??? ??? ???
If your PC has "done its time", its likely that Windows is in a bit of a mess. The upgrade won't "fix" that.  I have always recommended that every major upgrade (no matter what OS) should be a complete rebuild from scratch to ensure the OS is fresh and lean.

However, to get the Win 10 digital entitlement (for free), you have to go through the upgrade procedure.  Once the upgrade is complete, and is reporting a valid digital entitlement, then rebuild it from scratch to freshen/lean it up.

HTH.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2016, 18:59:33 »

Right I shall get on it this weekend.  Thanks :y
If you don't already run an SSD for the OS, it would seriously consider getting one.

In which case:
Upgrade to get digital entitlement
Replace HDD with SSD
Install Win10 from scratch

Iso creator is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 (scroll down a bit, you want the creator tool). Can create ISO for burning to DVD, or USB bootable version.

Tell me the video card isn't ATI?
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2016, 19:27:45 »

[/highlight]

If your PC has "done its time", its likely that Windows is in a bit of a mess. The upgrade won't "fix" that.  I have always recommended that every major upgrade (no matter what OS) should be a complete rebuild from scratch to ensure the OS is fresh and lean.

However, to get the Win 10 digital entitlement (for free), you have to go through the upgrade procedure.  Once the upgrade is complete, and is reporting a valid digital entitlement, then rebuild it from scratch to freshen/lean it up.

HTH.

Errr, no, but thanks for trying. :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2016, 20:10:57 »

Ive done few updates to 10, and everytime since the first one seems to be a different MS Upgrade over air method.

As TB says, get the thing activated first through a free update, then your good to go for anytime afterwards for a fresh clean install, only thing I would add is do a backup or clone of your original OS just in case, stuff does happen.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2016, 20:45:42 »

Not sure I trust an SSD for high IO operations like the OS, heard about to many failures.

Gotcha on the upgrade/rebuild.  I always build from scratch but I understand the process needed here  :y

After far oo many issues with Nvidia cards I only use ATIs Gx now. I think this one is a GeForce 4650 or summit.  Powerful enough for me.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2016, 21:05:45 »

I have Windows 10 installed on half a dozen pc's here, no problems to report, very happy with it.

Got it installed on both I5 and Dual core processors and it runs fine, ram varies from 4Gb to 16Gb.

Two of them are on SSD's, Crucial M550 and Samsung EVO 850

I have no worries about using SSD's as a system drive in a high through put system

I would second what TB says about installing it.

Upgrade first to get your hardware id registered and then new install from the MS iso.
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2016, 21:52:11 »

It's never time for Windows.  :D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2016, 22:06:13 »

It's never time for Windows.  :D

It's only on the Desktop because of the missus.  Linux would make her go in to melt down.....

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2016, 00:04:19 »

Not sure I trust an SSD for high IO operations like the OS, heard about to many failures.

i've had 3 ssds fail (and without warning of course) but the newer ones seem more reliable.  however they are ideal for the boot drive as not much changes on that compared to data, assuming you aren't installing new progs every day.  so if it dies you just swap in the clone you keep (and need to roll back 'updates', because rstrui only works those times you don't seriously need it.  or is rstrui fixed in win 10?)

you can cloud synch up to 15GB data for free with google drive

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2016, 00:24:32 »

Ironic how it varies....I have had Win 10 on three computers in this house for months, and absolutely fine. I have Win 7 on another drive, just in case. So far, everything I use the computer for is running fine, and that includes my simulators. :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.