Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Reception and Rear View Window  (Read 2467 times)

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Radio Reception and Rear View Window
« on: 26 October 2009, 00:06:10 »

FRom reading around i understand that there is an issue with the rear view demister being the ariel for the radio as well. (Reception crap if i turn it on of a morning, kind of need to this time of year :( )

External ariel seems to be the way to go anybody know the best brand/type or where to get one from?

TIA :)
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Reception and Rear View Window
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2009, 00:14:22 »

DaveDND on the English Riviera knows his stuff re radios/stereos. I have to say it's only ever been an occassional problem on my car ........ but that might be cos I only use my Omega occassionally  ::) .... Just make sure your a/c works & you won't need your rear demister  :y  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2009, 07:43:17 »

never had an issue with my Ariel its always been excellent, only time its signal weekends is going up the large cutting on the M40 at 80mph....

Do you have a genuine ratio installed?

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2009, 08:39:21 »

never had an issue with my Ariel its always been excellent, only time its signal weekends is going up the large cutting on the M40 at 80mph....

Do you have a genuine ratio installed?
would that be 70 mph tunnie  :y ::)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2009, 08:47:00 »

If you are making the jump to an external aerial (a good move I reckon) then make sure to avoid the fleabay sharks fin things and anything similar, go for a good old fasioned aerial that is around 18" to 24" long, although length not over important, I`m just using that as an example.

Bosch and Hirschmann are the big names for aerials, although I must confess that any of the brands stocked by your local motor factors will also suffice. As something to ask for, go for a roof aerial from a Fiesta as they have a single hole fixing, the cable supplied is long enough to go around the windscreen and easy to fit and wire above the front courtesy ligts without too much removal of trim etc. Make sure that the inside joint of the captive nut is nice bright shiny metal for best reception.

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2009, 13:17:25 »

I fitted a Hirschmann roof aerial to my car as the reception was more or less non existent. Superb now :) It wasn't hard to do as long as you can steel yourself to drilling a hole in a perfectly good roof panel ;D Drop the roof light/sunroof control panel out, and pop either one of the windscreen a pillar trims and you should be able to threadle the aerial cable down and into the back of the radio. I went down the passenger side and popped the glovebox out to help. Didn't take an hour if I remember correctly.

Humpy

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2009, 16:06:46 »

i know this may sound a tad daft but i take it the MV6 estates dont have this prob as i have a bee sting at the back (which the spoiler catches grrrrrrrr)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2009, 16:14:29 »

i know this may sound a tad daft but i take it the MV6 estates dont have this prob as i have a bee sting at the back (which the spoiler catches grrrrrrrr)

I think that beesting aerial is for the Phone, not the radio !!

In your case, go for a non amplified beesting aerial from an Audi as the angle of the aerial is more upright to prevent the tailgate from catching it.

;)

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2009, 16:23:21 »

In your case, go for a non amplified beesting aerial from an Audi as the angle of the aerial is more upright to prevent the tailgate from catching it.

;)

cheers dave will go on the hunt for one  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2009, 16:30:53 »

;)

Not on estates, Ariel is the Ariel i think... mother tunnies has one but no phone...
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 16:32:31 by tunnie »

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2009, 16:33:27 »

;)

Not on estates, Ariel is the Ariel i think... mother tunnies has one but no phone...

lol i am now really confused

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2009, 16:49:58 »

On the saloon the radio aerial is integrated into the heated rear screen. On the estate it's not. The aerial just forward of the boot lid also functions as a radio aerial on the estate but, for some reason, not on the saloon.

On the saloon the radio aerial in the rear screen is pretty pants at the best of times and is desensitised by the rear screen being on. If there's a nick in one of the conductors on the rear window or the power connections to the rear screen are poor, noise will wipe out the radio signal completely due to arcing, when the screen is switched on.

On the estate you might still get interference from the rear screen if the arcing is bad enough.

The bee sting antenna on the saloon is for a mobile phone. You can reach the rear of its' mounting hole quite easily by removing the trim panel that runs along the rear of the headlining above the back seat. It wouldn't be that difficult to replace it with a decent FM antenna and connect it to the coaxial cable that runs to the head unit, which terminates at a preamp box under the parcel shelf trim.

Note that if you have a head unit with integrated satnav or mobile phone you will need to keep the GSM antenna / GPS receiver that is, I believe, integrated into the antenna. Presumably an antenna from a suitably equipped estate would be a good starting point but I've never tried it.

Kefvin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2009, 16:54:24 »

You will have a normal VX Radio Aerial whip on yours Enfield MV6, they work work fine.  :y
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 16:58:13 by zirk »

omega6

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2009, 16:55:39 »

FRom reading around i understand that there is an issue with the rear view demister being the ariel for the radio as well. (Reception crap if i turn it on of a morning, kind of need to this time of year :( )

External ariel seems to be the way to go anybody know the best brand/type or where to get one from?

TIA :)

I think these have an amplifier somewhere, poss under the rear seat, if memory serves me well

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2009, 16:56:02 »

Is it possible to get an external ariel that fits to the window like you see on many cars? That way i don't have to drill any holes in a perfectly good roof panel :-/
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.