Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: '96 pre-facelift headlight problem  (Read 1020 times)

Abiton

'96 pre-facelift headlight problem
« on: 09 March 2011, 12:49:22 »

Hi folks.

Just had the ('96/N 2.0 saloon) car fail MOT on beam pattern for the nearside headlight.  I asked what they thought was wrong with it, and was told that it's the reflective coating at the back of the unit that's causing the problem.

I thought/hoped it would just be opacity of the front lens, but I'd polished those up prior to last years test, so I'm afraid it's mend or replace time.  The offside one was 'just OK' apparently.

Is there a way to mend these? I've been quoted biiiig money for a new replacement, so that's not on the cards.  Happy with something cheap/cheerful/bodgy just to keep the car on the road for its last year (probably).

Anyone got one, or a pair, in good nick? 

Oh, and this was deemed OK, not needing to be changed, even though I'd asked them to.  :o (Guess maybe they couldn't see it as clearly as in my pic, 'cos the wheel would be on.  :-/

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: '96 pre-facelift headlight problem
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2011, 13:13:04 »

The law according to mot stds regarding the bush is that it can only fail the mot if it is on the point of failing out, crazy i know, but!
that bush is well knackered so you need to change the bushes or replace the wishbones asap.

As for the head lamps there are plenty of cars being broken on here so you should be able to pick up a pair of later projector halogen lamps without any probs to replace your poor lights, also the projectors give a better beam pattern. :y
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 13:13:47 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Abiton

« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2011, 13:24:33 »

Thanks for that.  I will be sorting the wishbone, don't worry; got a re-bushed-with-genuine one ready to go on, just hadn't plucked up the courage to do it myself.
Other side was done last year (yeah, I know, I should've had 'em done both then...  :-[)

Re headlights, are the projector type 'plug and play' mechanically and electrically?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2011, 13:29:14 »

Thanks for that.  I will be sorting the wishbone, don't worry; got a re-bushed-with-genuine one ready to go on, just hadn't plucked up the courage to do it myself.
Other side was done last year (yeah, I know, I should've had 'em done both then...  :-[)

Re headlights, are the projector type 'plug and play' mechanically and electrically?
Yep
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Abiton

« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2011, 13:30:20 »

:y

Thanks guys, I'll pop a wanted ad up now.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2011, 13:31:16 »

Yea just plug and play, remember there are two types of projector, you need the halogen type not the hid type.
Also if you then fit Osram Nightbreaker bulbs you improve things even more. 8-)
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Abiton

« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2011, 13:33:48 »

One more thing, ours is the basest of base models (Select) and has a 0-1-2-3 thumbswitch for height adjustment.  Would that affect what would be compatible later-types-wise?

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2011, 13:35:39 »

yes :y
Jaguar XJ6

Abiton

« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2011, 13:38:40 »

Sorry, do you mean "yes any will fit OK", or "yes you'll have to get ones off a poverty-spec model?"

Apologies for cluelessness.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2011, 13:42:57 »

As long as it is from a prefacelift then any will do. :y
Jaguar XJ6

sierrapaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2011, 16:04:49 »

years ago used to do a botch job with tin foil.dont know if you would get away with it now

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2011, 16:18:42 »

You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a pair of cheap halogen lights which look very similar to the later projectors. Unfortunately the quality of many of these Heller made lamps was absolutely rubbish hence your peeling reflectors. As everybody seems to want the HID Xenons the Halogen ones are relatively cheap and you can pick up a patent new pair for about £100 from a decent motor factors. Bear that in mind when buying second hand and dont pay too much for old junk.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 16:19:27 by markrl »

Abiton

« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2011, 19:26:34 »

Thanks gents.  I think someone at Allparts must have knobbed up this morning when they quoted me two hundred and something + VAT for just N/S (with the reg number).

My (2008) TC book suggests that the like-for-like replacement (90487570) would only be about £110+VAT(TC)
Or the projector version (9117187) £119 +VAT
Wish I'd had the lil book with me at work earlier... ::)

Can see the peeling of the silvering above the bulb, but it doesn't look dramatic.  :-/

The wishbone bush did make it to the advisory list at least.  :D

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2011, 19:51:34 »

If you look at some of the motor factors selling on ebay you can get patent Trupart halogen projector style lamps for about £50 each. Given how poor the quality is on the Heller OEM lamps that might be the way to go if you dont want second hand units. I doubt thay will be any worse then the expensive cach Vauxhall will supply.

Abiton

« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2011, 19:54:22 »

Cheers Mark, I'll have a browse, if no-one responds to my wanted ad.  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.