Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear selection switch  (Read 1390 times)

Dodge

• Wrexham
    • 2.2 CD auto lpg/petrol
    • View Profile
Gear selection switch
« on: 13 October 2015, 11:10:36 »

Hi All, has anyone ever successfully repaired the gear selection switch? (on the side of the gear box)
I have a 2.2 cdx (petrol) and the switch got damp in the last heavy rainfall. The car regularly goes into limp home mode which can be rectified by turning the ignition off then on again although the error light stays on.
I know this is a frequent problem as I have experienced this on my previous Omegas so my questions are:

1. Can it be repaired and does anyone have any tips. e.g. should I removed the switch and clean it up? Is there anything I should watch out for when doing so?
2. Should I just bite the bullet and replace it and where might be the best place to get a new/reconditioned one?

Thanks

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Gear selection switch
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2015, 11:20:06 »

At the Wycombe meet last Saturday, Radar did a repair job to his switch. I believe him and LFF64 removed the switch and cleaned it. I believe it cleared the problem, as Radar took the car for a test run. If they see this post, I am sure they will give you more info. I do believe also it was a bit awkward removing the connector. Sorry can't help more. :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2015, 11:56:37 »

If you type in.....maintenance guide...at top right hand side box...click on that and then type in....gearbox selector....that takes you onto a list of guides....try number 10 on the list which shows you how to dismantle and repair,,,

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2015, 12:39:02 »

Might also be cam sensor on the 2.2...

Are the selector lights flashing or misaligned? If yes then that is definitely the selector switch. If no, get the codes read and replace the cam sensor with a genuine Vauxhall one purchased in person from a genuine Vauxhall dealer  :y

Dodge

• Wrexham
    • 2.2 CD auto lpg/petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2015, 15:02:35 »

Thanks everyone.
I'm 99% sure it's the selector switch. As I've said, I've had the problem before and yes, the gear stick lights light up!
I'll try and let you know how I get on.

Oh, while I remember, do I need to watch out for any thing when I take it off?
If I remember correctly from last time, it's just a matter of unbolting it and making sure it is correctly aligned when putting it back on?

Thanks all.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2015, 15:42:31 »

There's an allen key you can insert into a hole if memory serves for an exact match up, but simply making a note (ideal use for a cameraphone) of where it was before you strip it down is the other method, yes  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2015, 19:17:12 »

On mine the electrical tracks had corroded away.
Repaired it with a £20 silver tipped pen., 5 yr ago.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2015, 19:45:56 »

Thanks everyone.
I'm 99% sure it's the selector switch. As I've said, I've had the problem before and yes, the gear stick lights light up!

If I remember correctly from last time, it's just a matter of unbolting it and making sure it is correctly aligned when putting it back on?

Thanks all.
:-X

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2015, 21:24:28 »

Thanks everyone.

Thanks all.

That's pretty much it but LFF64 did all the tricky bits :y. One bolt was deeper in than the other and the electrical connector was awkward to pull out and put back. It's easier the higher you raise the car. We cleaned with switch cleaner and could see contact points worn but I suppose you'd expect wear on a 15 yr old car. I like tilbos suggestion. Good luck

Ps. After you turn the car off and o  does it still go into limp mode I.e. is the code live or jusy showing up an old one
« Last Edit: 13 October 2015, 21:27:25 by Radar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.