Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The state of the NHS  (Read 1333 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
The state of the NHS
« on: 27 November 2023, 20:50:14 »

This morning I discovered that an elderly neighbour of mine had suffered a heart attack yesterday evening Sunday.

She lives alone but was able to call a family member, who then phoned for an ambulance and was quoted a four-hour delay.  >:(

Her son drove to her home with the intention of taking her to hospital by car but it was too painful for her to get into it. Fortunately, the ambulance then finally turned up.

Apparently, it was not too severe, but she has a chest infection too. They told her relatives she would be moved into a ward, but this morning was still on a trolley...

Didn't a politician say, not too long ago, that NHS was the "envy of the world"?   ;D ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: The state of the NHS
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2023, 20:58:18 »

I could fill pages with real life horror stories about the IHS. The problems are very big throughout the institution and its nothing to do with money.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2023, 21:41:37 »

I think that it's got too big and unwieldy, also now a business and not a service.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2023, 22:13:04 »

I think that it's got too big and unwieldy, also now a business and not a service.
Not true. If it were genuinely a business it would have been bankrupted decades ago.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2023, 23:04:01 »

What I cannot udersand is ; if it was my business I would have a concerted effort to reduce waiting lists.

If you were royal mail and had a back log of parcels ……………..

If you were Amazon and had a back log of orders despite having the stock.

Recently we moved heaven and earth and got my dad to his cancer  app at York ( an hour away) . He waited and eventually was seen. Cnsultant looked athe skin cancer and said “ I cannot operate on that” sent hiim home. Just a tick in the box to reduce waiting lists.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2023, 07:17:40 »

My wife & myself both worked in the NHS ,we both left at the end of the eighties because neither of us liked the way it was being run, it was becoming a shambolic service then , it could be a marvelous system but has been completely abused by so many, any wonder that it is now a broken service.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2023, 12:19:57 »

This morning I discovered that an elderly neighbour of mine had suffered a heart attack yesterday evening Sunday.

She lives alone but was able to call a family member, who then phoned for an ambulance and was quoted a four-hour delay.  >:(

Her son drove to her home with the intention of taking her to hospital by car but it was too painful for her to get into it. Fortunately, the ambulance then finally turned up.

Apparently, it was not too severe, but she has a chest infection too. They told her relatives she would be moved into a ward, but this morning was still on a trolley...

Didn't a politician say, not too long ago, that NHS was the "envy of the world"?   ;D ;D

In 1948 it was.

By 1960 it was OK....ish. But the world had moved on.

By 1990 the NHS was creaking.

In 2023 it is barely fit for purpose.....being antiquated beyond repair with just 'woke diversity and inclusion policy' keeping it going. ::) ::)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2023, 17:11:49 »

There's always good and bad stories about peoples experiences of the NHS - personally mine is excellent.
Had two total hip replacements - one in 2021 and the other in 2022, both after only approx 7 months after seeing the doctor.  The waiting time of 7 months included being referred, seeing the consultant, and all the pre op tests etc etc
 My second one would have been after only 5 months, but I got Covid after attending a funeral, so it had to be postponed >:(
The standard of care and the post op treatment was second to none.
I know I'm only one in a long list of patients, and waiting times do vary from region to region, but I've nothing but praise for my NHS experiences follow my ops.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2023, 23:26:35 »

In this area, getting to see a GP or a consultant is close to impossible.
If you do actually get to see one, they are  disinterested, clueless and a waste of time.
Many of the staff in hospitals seem to view patients as an inconvenient interruption of their day, as the NHS exists for them to draw a wage for standing around chatting to their mates.
It varies from disinterested right through to downright cruel.
There are of course some good ones but they are in the minority.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2023, 23:47:48 »

I saw my doctor for the referral for my first hip operation; the second (for which I hadn't actually seen the doctor about), I sort of self diagnosed. I rang the doctors, spoke to the practice nurse, and basically told her I felt that the time had come to consider a second hip operation (they obviously had my records about the first hip operation). I got the referral details through within a week, chose which hospital I wished to attend online (naturally chose the same hospital as my first operation), saw the same consultant within 2 months, who agreed the second operation was needed, and within 5 months, I had it done. Not private health care - all on the NHS.
As I said before, my experiences have all been superb.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2023, 23:50:26 »

I might moce to Lancashire.  :D
Honestly, it really is shocking here.  :(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2023, 07:54:36 »

I am really impressed with the Spanish health service. Yes there are waiting lists but not as big or long.

Our gp is truly excellent. We are helping some friends out at moment. He has wound dressed three times a week by nurse. His wife is in hospital with various chest issues. During yesterday dressing, doc came in and logged on to her history and read verbatim all the notes for the last 24 hours. Then precis’d what it meant.

Another time we had had a small accident. Made appointment for next morning, gp saw us and said can you get to local hospital now ( yes) for xray. He made the appointment. 30 mins later we had the xray after waiting five minutes. Back to surgery.  Sat in room full of current appointments. Doc came out after his next two patients, pointed at us and said come in. Reviewed xray and got treatment. We can log on digitally and view our history and xrays, blood tests.

One huge difference is when you go into your gp, first question is “ are you walking each day?”  In Britain your answer would be mind your own business you cheeky bugger……….
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2023, 12:28:54 »

I rarely see the quack but when I do usually pay £70-£100 for a private appointment.

Trying to book an appointment with an NHS doctor is a complete waste of time. The receptionists refuse to pick up the phone and if by some miracle they do they can only offer an appointment 9-24 months in the future. :-\

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2023, 12:32:40 »

I might moce to Lancashire.  :D
Honestly, it really is shocking here.  :(
I'd drive if i were you Froggie.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.