Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project GSI Bumper  (Read 4851 times)

omega3000

Project GSI Bumper
« on: 20 May 2013, 18:40:35 »

Thought i would share how my project on the £1.04p bumper progresses , so here we have the said bumper looking in a sorry state .. split both bottom corners  :(

So opened up the cracks and made 2 support brackets inside and firbre glassed the brackets over for more strength ..

Sanded back the surrounding edges then taped over the front of the crack and filled with fibre glass from the back forcing fibre glass through to the tape ...

Will wait till this has hardened and apply more fibre glass front and back then sand back ... more to come  :)

martin42

Re: Project GSI Bumper
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2013, 19:01:26 »

looking good there EMD  :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2013, 19:03:27 »

I like to see a bit of body repair going on  :y.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2013, 19:07:40 »

Soon many hours of sanding to be done but will be worth it in the end , dont think ill be going right back to bare surface just make a good key and use some etching primer  :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2013, 19:11:11 »

Soon many hours of sanding to be done but will be worth it in the end , dont think ill be going right back to bare surface just make a good key and use some etching primer  :y

I hate sanding  ;D.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 19:24:19 »

I hate sanding  ;D.

Me too  ;D But all in the prep work , not done anything this big before but the small bits i have done turned out ok as long as those pesky flies keep off it  :(

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 22:32:13 »

Looks good so far mate-sanding is a right ball ache - but keep at it mate-no turning back now :y :y :y :y :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 22:56:39 »

Looking good pal  :y
Can't wait to see how you get on  ;)

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2013, 12:54:38 »

Not much more done accept for some extra fibre glassing ..

Here underneath both corners were split as well so metal brackets drilled bolted and fibre glassed over inside , now with the outside prepped its time to apply more fibre glass over the bolted cracked area ..

Fibre glassed over , as this wont be seen ill roughly shape around the glass then spray over best i can ..

Now to wait for curing , taking longer than expected to harden but this cold weather dont help  >:(

More to come ....

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2013, 17:28:42 »

Keep it up Steve :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2013, 22:13:35 »

good work Emd :y

only important factor, dont hurry :y

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2013, 22:16:06 »

Coming along nicely there, Keep it up  :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2013, 23:25:37 »

nice one steve. watching this one with interest as I need to sort my bodywork.... and the car's  ::) :'( :'( :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2013, 07:53:31 »

Thanks all  :y Next stage will be to sand all the surface filler down which im thoroughly looking forward to  ::) Never used etch primer so not sure if this will do the job on this ... ill ask in the shop before i buy it or maybe someone on here can put me in the right direction about this etch primer stuff  :-\ :-\

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2013, 09:09:37 »

Thanks all  :y Next stage will be to sand all the surface filler down which im thoroughly looking forward to  ::) Never used etch primer so not sure if this will do the job on this ... ill ask in the shop before i buy it or maybe someone on here can put me in the right direction about this etch primer stuff  :-\ :-\

etching primer must be this so called plastic primer and its important to use it first..  than normal primer..

I have doubt about those fracture areas :-\  if you fill them with bondo(after normal primer sanded ) and if the fractures move, paint can fracture so

imo use plastic primer -sand 360-400- normal primer-sand (500-600 grid)- tiny layers of bondo (not whole at a time) - than prime it again  :y

omega3000

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2013, 14:02:07 »

Plastic primer i guess wil do the job cem , just as long as i make a decent base for application  :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2013, 15:13:02 »

:y :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

omega3000

« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2013, 17:03:56 »

So after a lot of sanding the repaired corners and bits were sanded flat , then primed , after primer was applied imperfections in filler were spotted so more easy sand filler applied ..

After sanding again , more primer and partly finished bumper . Im going to get spray putty to build up thicker layers to cover the last of imperfections .

Quite pleased with how its coming along considering how it first looked  :)

More to come ...

martin42

« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2013, 17:11:40 »

looking good EMD  ;D ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2013, 17:18:59 »

looking good EMD  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for helping mate , cant wait to get the silver paint and lacquer on and bolted up to car , patience dear grasshopper  ;D :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2013, 17:31:02 »

Looking good matey :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2013, 17:34:04 »

Thanks mate , i just noticed the imperfection in the first picture  ::) , that was sorted too after the picture was taken  ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2013, 17:35:24 »

Thanks mate , i just noticed the imperfection in the first picture  ::) , that was sorted too after the picture was taken  ;D

Assumed they would be "puttyed" out :)

omega3000

« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2013, 17:37:42 »

Assumed they would be "puttyed" out :)

Most will , just the paint reacted and bubbled on some bits . A quick rub down sorted it  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2013, 19:41:02 »

very good job EMD and its far beyond my expectations.. :y :y :y :y :y

at that point I have some recommendations ;

firstly give it some more time to dry up both inside outside.. you will need minimum 7-10 days depending on the temperature and sun if you dont use other means of heating..  because in time the primer dries it will contract and show more scratches and imperfections..  so please wait :y

secondly thicker paint layers cant correct the problem, you need to use filler/bondo again (minimum 4-5 days+) and prime again (3-4+) days

please use plastic/elastic filler bondo pad so you wont need more time to sand :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2013, 19:49:45 »

also when applying laquer, spray 2-3 tiny layers (hand faster from longer distance)  wait 10-15 minutes, than 2 thicker layers (hand slower normal distance18-20 cm) and wait another 15-20 minutes than another layer or 2..

but be careful I cant predict micron size of the spray can  if its too big arrange accordingly number of layers .. these are for 0.8 micron hvlp :-\

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2013, 20:28:42 »

That's looking a whole lot better.
Like I said - you're braver than me!

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2013, 21:42:30 »

Coming along nicely  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2013, 22:14:00 »

is that the kitchen table your using as a panel stand.. ;D :D
 cracking job.
 just take note of what cem has said,wise words  :)
Hoof'land storeman.

omega3000

« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2013, 22:54:00 »

is that the kitchen table your using as a panel stand.. ;D :D
 cracking job.
 just take note of what cem has said,wise words  :)

Two patio chairs mate and the living room curtains  :-X ;D
Cem thanks for your advice  :y

That's looking a whole lot better.

Like I said - you're braver than me!

It was never going to defeat me murph  ;) I just need to be patient as dying to see what it looks like on the car , i will leave this now for a few days and check for any shrinkage  :y

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2013, 10:29:17 »

its going well steve if you dont rush it you will do a cracking job well done mate :y :y :y :y
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

omega3000

« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2013, 16:27:48 »

its going well steve if you dont rush it you will do a cracking job well done mate :y :y :y :y

Thanks kev  :y

So i left the new filler to settle but it decided to crack  :( So more filler added to cover the crack and more and more sanding  ::)
Today the primer was flatted and left to dry then tack ragged , 2 coats of star silver done today and ill leave it overnight to harden ... Weather looks to be turning for the worse tomorrow so the next job will be to flatten the silver with 1200 grit , then the lacquer can applied .
It will probably be on the car next photo so cant wait for that ....P.s I hate sanding  ;D

More to come ....
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 16:29:43 by Emd »

martin42

« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2013, 16:54:57 »

looking good there mate  :y :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2013, 17:09:21 »

Don't leave it too long before lacquer mate, otherwise it won't bond properly and will tend to delaminate ;)

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2013, 17:17:04 »

Don't leave it too long before lacquer mate, otherwise it won't bond properly and will tend to delaminate ;)
+1 :y-must type faster ;D ;D
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

omega3000

« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2013, 18:15:25 »

Just hobbled out and applied the lacquer  :o Looking good , mite have to touch up here and there but its good to go on the car now  :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2013, 18:17:11 »

Thanks kev  :y

So i left the new filler to settle but it decided to crack  :( So more filler added to cover the crack and more and more sanding  ::)
Today the primer was flatted and left to dry then tack ragged , 1. 2 coats of star silver done today and ill leave it overnight to harden ... 2. Weather looks to be turning for the worse tomorrow so the next job will be to flatten the silver with 3.1200 grit , then the lacquer can applied .
It will probably be on the car next photo so cant wait for that ....P.s 4.I hate sanding  ;D

More to come ....

1. just before applying laquer apply another coat of star silver it will stay better and sick better to laquer (wait for 5-6 minutes for it to dry partially) also before starting final paint use silicon remover type cleaners to clean the surface and never touch the surface with bare hand..

2. forget about the weather and wait more if required.. hurry is the enemy of paint jobs..

3. either old 1200 or old 1500 (wet) and let it for dry to be sure there is no moisture

4. me too ;D

omega3000

« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2013, 18:24:05 »

Thanks cem , only when its fully assembled to the car and in good light i will see many spots i probably will see that need a quick touch in  :( I would sooner of done the work with the bumper on the car looking back , ill get it on the car and take a few pics  :y Luckily my phone camera does not show imperfections  ;D And those pesky flies landed on it a few times  >:(

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2013, 18:25:34 »

good painters use 2 step painting for the color coat.. first they paint to cover/close the primer completely and than they sand the surface to be as smooth as possible. this shortens the painting time in the paint cabin and also clears any imperfections before final paint..
then they apply the final color coat and laquer in heated/ventilated paint cabins..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2013, 18:27:35 »

Thanks cem , only when its fully assembled to the car and in good light i will see many spots i probably will see that need a quick touch in  :( I would sooner of done the work with the bumper on the car looking back , ill get it on the car and take a few pics  :y Luckily my phone camera does not show imperfections  ;D And those pesky flies landed on it a few times >:(

common problem.. :-\

solution is 4 poles and a tight net over you when painting :y

omega3000

« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2013, 18:31:56 »

I need a spray booth and many sander people  ;D 

Sanding Party  ::)

More to come
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 18:37:24 by Emd »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2013, 18:37:32 »

count me in for the sanding party :y  (1 hour ago I was sanding my test panel and using some filler on it) ;D

spray booth hire prices not cheap here.. 20£ for an hour .. for masking and painting I 'll need 4 hours to paint omega :-\

omega3000

« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2013, 18:42:19 »

count me in for the sanding party :y  (1 hour ago I was sanding my test panel and using some filler on it) ;D

spray booth hire prices not cheap here.. 20£ for an hour .. for masking and painting I 'll need 4 hours to paint omega :-\

Didnt know you could hire them  ???

I know that you use as little filler as possible so that minimal sanding time and swearing is avoided  ;) I wish i had stuck to this method  :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2013, 18:47:51 »

Didnt know you could hire them  ???

I know that you use as little filler as possible so that minimal sanding time and swearing is avoided  ;) I wish i had stuck to this method  :-X

here ,you reserve for hours you need (if available from other painters) than use it..  :y (they have proper pressures for air line ) and good ventilation)

yep when using filler I use it as minimal as possible.. but my work/test panels are really crap so I dont bother using bondo..

I use glassurit fast drying bondo and within half an hour I sand it.. so not much swearing required..  ;D  but if I do it next day :-X
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 18:49:22 by cem »

omega3000

« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2013, 18:56:03 »

Yes , filler sets in 15 minutes depending on temperature , easy sand filler is smoother and faster to sand but needs a good eye when shaping curves .. Given the equipment i used with no booth i think its not too bad , just dont look too closely  ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2013, 19:25:18 »

Come on Steve - pics ;)

omega3000

« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2013, 19:27:26 »

Come on Steve - pics ;)

Only just ripped off the masking tape  :D Hope to rip the old one off the car tomorrow then ill take some pics from a distance  ::) ;D
Id only planned on smoothing the primer down and spent 4 hrs on it much to someones annoyance inside  :-X
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 19:29:27 by Emd »

omega3000

« Reply #47 on: 30 May 2013, 18:39:29 »

What a bloody nightmare getting the old bumper off  >:( >:( Of about 12 screws , 3 rounded off 2 snapped and 2 were crypton factor inside the wing  ::)

What a mess  ;D ;D

The headlight is out to re-seal it as it was misting , one of my fingers is swollen from slipping with the screwdriver  :o So once i had the bumper off i found that on the new bumper something was missing ... a snapped bracket , so made one up out of ally and fibre glassed in .All sorted and trims from old bumper put on ready for another day when i can muster up enough energy  :y

Oh yes , in my frustration i slammed the bonnet at half time only to realize id slammed it on my glasses  >:( >:( Fixed them as well  ;D

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 30 May 2013, 19:32:16 »

Great job!
Did you get the missing chunk of grille surround sorted OK?

omega3000

« Reply #49 on: 30 May 2013, 19:38:28 »

Great job!
Did you get the missing chunk of grille surround sorted OK?

2 chunks murph  :( Repaired one today , the one at the top i cant do till its on the car but it will be hidden by the grill  :y

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 30 May 2013, 20:13:32 »

What a bloody nightmare getting the old bumper off  >:( >:( Of about 12 screws , 3 rounded off 2 snapped and 2 were crypton factor inside the wing  ::)

What a mess  ;D ;D

The headlight is out to re-seal it as it was misting , one of my fingers is swollen from slipping with the screwdriver  :o So once i had the bumper off i found that on the new bumper something was missing ... a snapped bracket , so made one up out of ally and fibre glassed in .All sorted and trims from old bumper put on ready for another day when i can muster up enough energy  :y

Oh yes , in my frustration i slammed the bonnet at half time only to realize id slammed it on my glasses  >:( >:( Fixed them as well  ;D
that will teach you to buy a vectra ;D ;D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #51 on: 30 May 2013, 22:12:32 »

Not one of your better days, eh, Steve :)

omega3000

« Reply #52 on: 30 May 2013, 23:10:24 »

Not one of your better days, eh, Steve :)

Not really mate , finger still throbbing  :D I do a bit at a time swear a bit then plod on , if it wasnt for the seized screws and bits missing that i had to make it would have been on . Next picture will be it all buttoned up providing i can find enough nuts and bolts  ::) Now my glasses are fixed i mite get on a bit better  :-[ :-[ :-[

omega3000

« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2013, 16:25:54 »

All done  :) Went on a lot easier than the old one that came off , i  can see a few bits that need touching up but overall im happy with it  :y

No more to come  ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2013, 16:50:50 »

Looks good mate nice job  8) :y

omega3000

« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2013, 16:56:53 »

A bit better pic  8)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2013, 17:04:04 »

A bit better pic  8)

looks good ..  :) if you like it, thats what matters  :y

omega3000

« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2013, 17:08:22 »

Thanks cem , i can do more to it now its on the car . Just going to let it settle into place then see what else i can do with it . Fog lights dont fit from old bumper  :( so blanked the holes off till i can get some GSI ones ..hopefully for 99p  ;D :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #58 on: 31 May 2013, 17:16:29 »

Thanks cem , i can do more to it now its on the car . Just going to let it settle into place then see what else i can do with it . Fog lights dont fit from old bumper  :( so blanked the holes off till i can get some GSI ones ..hopefully for 99p ;D :y

;D ;D :y

albitz

« Reply #59 on: 31 May 2013, 17:31:26 »

Looks like you did a good job. :y Not quite as shiny as the rest of the car though.Needs a close in coat of lacquer maybe,or just a good polish once the paint has hardened ?

omega3000

« Reply #60 on: 31 May 2013, 17:46:05 »

Looks like you did a good job. :y Not quite as shiny as the rest of the car though.Needs a close in coat of lacquer maybe,or just a good polish once the paint has hardened ?

Dam i thought you wouldnt notice  ;D Yes it needs a rub down and re-lacquer but i can do this better now its on the car  ;)

albitz

« Reply #61 on: 31 May 2013, 17:57:15 »

:y My eyes aren't as bad as I thought then. :D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2013, 18:12:15 »

Dam i thought you wouldnt notice  ;D Yes it needs a rub down and re-lacquer but i can do this better now its on the car  ;)

ops..  ??? be careful if you do this whole car will need polishingeven with a proper masking :-X

omega3000

« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2013, 22:07:11 »

It will need many coats of lacquer , with light sanding between coats but some more heavier sanding of scratches that i can see better now its on , wont be doing any more bodywork for a few more years  :-\ :( ;D

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31 May 2013, 22:15:42 »

good job well done i think you've done brilliant seen as the problems you've got with your health
exelant mate :y :y :y :y :y :y :y :y :y :y
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.