Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone in Oxford...?  (Read 2401 times)

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in Oxford...?
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2007, 14:40:35 »

House prices in the Cherwell Council Area are predicted a greater rise than Oxford Council over then next 3-4 years.  Bicester's been mentioned which falls within Cherwell - so for this reason alone, I'd be looking here and surrounding villages.

I lived in Brackley, Abingdon and Bicester for several years - commuting into Oxford during the week.  As a motorist, I despise Oxford's roads!!

The A34 (grey dirty floor) is disgrace - far too much traffic for a standard dual carriageway.  Hit it any time between 7am-9am or 4pm-730pm, it's slow, 50mph through Botley, any crash causes huge tailbacks and that's before you even hit roads taking you directly into Oxford.  Parking is expensive, hardly any freebie spaces, the council are so car unfriendly, it's misery getting around.

Problem is that there's not much else on offer except Oxford City Centre for amenities without going further afield (Reading, Milton Keynes, ahem Swindon).

If I didn't need to visit Oxford City frequently, I'd recommend small villages surrounding Oxford and Bicester.  Do not consider Rosehill, Barton, Blackbird Leys, Littlemore or the main residential arterial roads close to Oxford City.  I'm sure there are wonderful people living there reputations are bad in these places for a reason.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2007, 19:59:05 »

House prices in the Cherwell Council Area are predicted a greater rise than Oxford Council over then next 3-4 years.  Bicester's been mentioned which falls within Cherwell - so for this reason alone, I'd be looking here and surrounding villages.

I lived in Brackley, Abingdon and Bicester for several years - commuting into Oxford during the week.  As a motorist, I despise Oxford's roads!!

The A34 (grey dirty floor) is disgrace - far too much traffic for a standard dual carriageway.  Hit it any time between 7am-9am or 4pm-730pm, it's slow, 50mph through Botley, any crash causes huge tailbacks and that's before you even hit roads taking you directly into Oxford.  Parking is expensive, hardly any freebie spaces, the council are so car unfriendly, it's misery getting around.

Problem is that there's not much else on offer except Oxford City Centre for amenities without going further afield (Reading, Milton Keynes, ahem Swindon).

If I didn't need to visit Oxford City frequently, I'd recommend small villages surrounding Oxford and Bicester.  Do not consider Rosehill, Barton, Blackbird Leys, Littlemore or the main residential arterial roads close to Oxford City.  I'm sure there are wonderful people living there reputations are bad in these places for a reason.

I agree with most of that!!! however once you work in Oxford as i do, you soon learn to use the back roads and get to know them!! if i leave Cowley at 5pm for instance i can be home in Ardley in 25mins!!! and thats using back roads, the 34 is quicker when there is no traffic i,e, early morning, s for Oxford itself :'( wouldnt go in there if you paid me!!! its awfaul what they have done to it and having lived around it for 20 odd years i would much rather and do in fact go to Banbury or Milton Keynes to do any necessary shopping!!

Omegatoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2007, 20:03:13 »

I agree with most of that!!! however once you work in Oxford as i do, you soon learn to use the back roads and get to know them!! if i leave Cowley at 5pm for instance i can be home in Ardley in 25mins!!! and thats using back roads, the 34 is quicker when there is no traffic i,e, early morning, s for Oxford itself :'( wouldnt go in there if you paid me!!! its awfaul what they have done to it and having lived around it for 20 odd years i would much rather and do in fact go to Banbury or Milton Keynes to do any necessary shopping!!

Omegatoy
Aye, I know most of the back roads on the east side of Oxford - Islip etc - much quicker....  ...its once you have to get inside the ringroad that the real traffic problems start....
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2007, 22:58:58 »

even though I am one of the youngest here. I can remember the M40 being built! - I remember going with my parents though ardley over the M40, which was still not finished!!

I hope to work in London after Uni, and I shall be looking at living in Bicester. It does hold a slight premium there, but I want to be able to walk to the station in the morning!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2007, 10:23:39 »

even though I am one of the youngest here. I can remember the M40 being built! - I remember going with my parents though ardley over the M40, which was still not finished!!

I hope to work in London after Uni, and I shall be looking at living in Bicester. It does hold a slight premium there, but I want to be able to walk to the station in the morning!
I remember, when I worked in the service industry, I used to use the unfinished M40 as a 'shortcut' and a quick way of getting around  ::)

Bicester holds a fair premium due to its location on the 'Slug' line (term used as Chiltern trains always go at slug pace) and the M40, and proximity to Oxford.  Alas, not a particularly nice place on Friday nights etc...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2007, 10:28:16 »

Thanks guys! weather permitting, might be going there tomorrow...  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 February 2007, 23:26:51 »

OK, been to Oxford... went to see a couple of estate agents, both said that any good property in Oxford is snapped so they don't really have much on offer... apart from this beautiful house in North Oxford which seemed very suitable... £3.75... million.... he he.... not for me.

There are some fantastic offers (or so it seems) in the vilages around Oxford, nice houses with a garage (!), but you have to drive the kids 6 miles to school every morning (no bus service) so not too sure about that either.

As for the city, we went to see the old city, library etc, quite impressive. Not sure what was this about the city centre being closed to traffic - this seemed to affect only two streets but generally there was car access all over the place... oh, and we went to Jericho but probably got to the bad side of it because it did not look anything like Morse's Jericho ('The dead of Jericho', 1987).

So very nice place, not sure about the relocation though. Thanks for the input!  :y

« Last Edit: 11 February 2007, 23:35:43 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.