Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loosing coolant  (Read 3032 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Loosing coolant
« on: 07 March 2024, 06:43:14 »

3.2 elite

Last couple of months I've been loosing coolant, got to top it up after say 50-100 miles back up to level, usally when light low coolant light comes on. After a run the other night had a good look underneath, left it sitting for a while on my drive, couldn't see any drips anywhere, had a good scour around engine bay with torch no sign of anything. Done block test last night and nothing showing, not that I suspected HG but just ruling it out.

Last year replaced rad, oil cooler, hose from block to heater radiator also replaced the top rad fan switch, still got the lower one to do, also replaced the aux water pump under the coolant bottle as it was leaking, that was last Year too. Also checked the floors for any water ingress, bone dry. Only thing I can think is maybe leak from oil cooler plate and it's running down the back of the box or something and I can't see it. Made sure I used the right sealant and that everything was clean and torqued up properly so be surprised if it's the oil cooler plate leaking, although if it was that then perhaps it is dripping out when the car is moving and then pooling somewhere in the V when stationary, then pouring back out when I'm moving so I don't actually see the leak.

Hopefully get in on the ramps at the weekend and get right under it. HBV is quite new so not suspecting that either.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 06:45:25 by grifter »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Loosing coolant
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2024, 09:35:23 »

HBV is quite new so not suspecting that either.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the HBV, as my original on my 3.2 lasted around 80K miles but it's replacement lasted less than 5K miles. The replacement was purchased from a main dealer and the box had the hologram on it. The second replacement was still OK when I sold it. Worth checking using the max high temp, max low temp method.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2024, 10:10:49 »

Carefully check the plastic parts of the main rad for leaks as well.  IME, you won't see a puddle under the car, and probably won't see much in way of steam either.  Its hairline cracks that close when the pressure drops.

I had a spare cap with a shrader valve in, and pumped up to about 8PSI, then used a torch to locate mine.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2024, 10:11:48 »

I wouldn't completely dismiss the HBV, as my original on my 3.2 lasted around 80K miles but it's replacement lasted less than 5K miles. The replacement was purchased from a main dealer and the box had the hologram on it. The second replacement was still OK when I sold it. Worth checking using the max high temp, max low temp method.  :y
There did appear to be a duff batch a few years ago, a few people, myself included, got caught out :(
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2024, 11:02:20 »

Heater matrix is also a possibility. I currently have similar symptoms due to a small leak at the matrix.
Which reminds me, I really must get off my arse and replace i soon.
Only use it occasionally, so havent been desperate to do the job.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2024, 12:08:46 »

Heater matrix is also a possibility. I currently have similar symptoms due to a small leak at the matrix.
I would have thought you would have smelt it if it was heater matrix?
Grumpy old man

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2024, 15:14:33 »

I just got my coolant pressure test kit in there so put it on and pumped up to 15psi, I can see water dripping down the back of the engine, just forward of the heater matrix pipe sort of down onto the back of the box.

Will need to strip out the plenum and stuff to investigate further.

Thanks for all other suggestions so far. Will have a check round other bits while I'm at it with the test kit.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2024, 15:17:20 »

There did appear to be a duff batch a few years ago, a few people, myself included, got caught out :(

I did get 2 new ones a couple of years ago with GM numbers on them, hopefully mine's isn't one of the duff batch.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2024, 17:18:03 »

I would have thought you would have smelt it if it was heater matrix?

So would I , but I didnt. Its only a small leak though.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2024, 17:27:43 »

I did get 2 new ones a couple of years ago with GM numbers on them, hopefully mine's isn't one of the duff batch.

The other snag is that although they're unused, they are still just old.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2024, 07:25:40 »

Will need to strip out plenum and stuff to get in there see what is leaking exactly before condeming anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.