Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio on, no sound  (Read 9072 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
Radio on, no sound
« on: 01 November 2023, 16:48:01 »

As per subject.

Radio is on, all preselected stations there, but no sound from the speakers. Neither volume control on radio or on steering wheel have any effect. I thought it might be a fuse, but looking through the handbook, I can see no mention of one for the speaker/amp circuit.

Help please! 

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Radio on, no sound
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2023, 18:11:08 »

Does it have Bose?

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2023, 19:43:04 »

Does it have Bose?

No. Standard set-up.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2023, 20:05:10 »

Which HU?
Grumpy old man

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2023, 21:08:23 »

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2023, 21:18:59 »

Update:

SWBO (abroad as of this morning) drove the car last night and she said it started making a crackling noise, so she turned it off.  :-\

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2023, 15:50:30 »

Update 2

Got in the car for a trip to Hatfield and the radio worked for about 30 seconds before going quiet again. After my appointment in Hatfield, it was pi**ing down with rain, so got a bit soaked going back to the car park. Anyway, go it and started...and on comes the radio as if nothing had happened. Stayed on all the way for the half-hour return trip.

Got me thinking. Was it water ingress which dried out on the trip up (which wasn't too wet)? If it was, why did it come on when the rain got heavy? Where could the water get in to stop all speakers?

It's a mystery to me. ???

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2023, 17:54:15 »

are we talking radio only no sound or other inputs too ?
if only radio dont they have an aerial amp or similar device up a windscreen pillar ? ( or somewhere ?)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2023, 19:37:26 »

are we talking radio only no sound or other inputs too ?
if only radio dont they have an aerial amp or similar device up a windscreen pillar ? ( or somewhere ?)

I only have radio and CD. Haven't tried the latter, but will do when and of it stops raining!  ;)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2023, 17:43:14 »

Radio worked fine on the way to the supermarket this afternoon. When I got back in...no radio. Decided to try a CD as VXL V6 suggested – no sound.
Started driving home and the radio suddenly came on for about a mile. Then the sound stopped again.

Beginning to think it must be a faulty speaker amp, which i presume is within the radio unit itself.

Anybody have any ideas/advice??   

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2023, 19:08:12 »

Have you checked the wiring behind the unit thoroughly?

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2023, 20:33:04 »

Have you checked the wiring behind the unit thoroughly?

No. I tried removing the radio last year when I replaced the aircon control panel. Wouldn't budge (though i was using Halfords remove tool, which i later discovered was cr*p).

Can't see how the wiring could have moved/been damaged, unless there's been water ingress.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2023, 13:50:26 »

ah well at least its not just radio related /areial.(which would have possibly been an easier fix ?)
sounds like the unit will have to be removed one way or the other .connections are worth checking obviously but cannot see that any bad connection on the back would allow the unit to still work but cut all 4 output channels.
unless anyone knows exactly where to look inside specifically it sounds like a bad internal solder joint or connection somewhere. i had a similar issue earlier this year with a different unit where everything was crisp and clear except the cassette output which was distorted. that took a lot of head scratching to sort. lots of joints were resoldered and various components swapped untill it was resolved.
one more silly question thou sorry probably not the fault but ....does your car have anything that splices into and cuts the audio for any reason such as a phone system or similar ?   wasnt some models fitted with a trafficmaster system ? how does that connect in ? ?

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2023, 15:46:08 »

ah well at least its not just radio related /areial.(which would have possibly been an easier fix ?)
sounds like the unit will have to be removed one way or the other .connections are worth checking obviously but cannot see that any bad connection on the back would allow the unit to still work but cut all 4 output channels.
unless anyone knows exactly where to look inside specifically it sounds like a bad internal solder joint or connection somewhere. i had a similar issue earlier this year with a different unit where everything was crisp and clear except the cassette output which was distorted. that took a lot of head scratching to sort. lots of joints were resoldered and various components swapped untill it was resolved.
one more silly question thou sorry probably not the fault but ....does your car have anything that splices into and cuts the audio for any reason such as a phone system or similar ?   wasnt some models fitted with a trafficmaster system ? how does that connect in ? ?

Yes, I'm in agreement with your diagnosis. Think it likely that it is a faulty joint inside the unit. I've ordered a new set of removal pins, specifically for the CDR 2005, so hopefully I'll be able to remove it. Frankly, I'm useless at soldering, so looking to get a secondhand unit or, conceivably, a new touch-screen unit. :-\

In answer to your second question, no i don't have anything that splices into the audio.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2023, 16:07:02 »

The CDR2005 was a terrible unit. I would take the opportunity to replace it (and the old speakers) with something better / more modern.
Wont cost the earth and will make a big difference.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.