Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monaro Top Gear  (Read 2946 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: Monaro Top Gear
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2021, 18:09:13 »

Watched it , Monaro performed reasonably well but just looks a bit too Astra lookalike,  the TVR  sounded terrific but know all about the problems with them as my brother had one.

I think you would do far better with an S typeR Jaguar 4.2 400 bhp and 400 lbs ft too.
 And cheaper👍
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2021, 19:32:17 »

Watched it , Monaro performed reasonably well but just looks a bit too Astra lookalike,  the TVR  sounded terrific but know all about the problems with them as my brother had one.

I think you would do far better with an S typeR Jaguar 4.2 400 bhp and 400 lbs ft too.
 And cheaper👍
Just had a look at them on the trader. All getting on a bit but look good. Always liked the S type, despite people saying it's an ugly f*cker but, then again, I like top gear  ::)
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2021, 21:39:43 »

And cheaper👍
Just had a look at them on the trader. All getting on a bit but look good. Always liked the S type, despite people saying it's an ugly f*cker but, then again, I like top gear  ::)

Me too!  :y

I've just watched the first episode with their Dad's cars, which brought back memories of my Dad and his Dark Green Mk1 Ford Capri.  8)

Had a bit of a lump in my throat....  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2021, 22:34:39 »

And cheaper👍

I've just watched the first episode with their Dad's cars, which brought back memories of my Dad and his Dark Green Mk1 Ford Capri.  8)

Dad's cars, There was a few of them, I was fortunate to get driving lessons in Dad's company car which just happened to be a 1972 2500 BMW, I think this is where my love of big cars came from.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 April 2021, 07:54:58 »

Most of the early Monaro from Auz, weren't rust proofed so are going rotting, so buy an early one,and do a Robsey and put the running gear in a rust free omega shell,  now what to do with my rust free estate shell :),, wife says no.. :'(
Hoof'land storeman.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 April 2021, 12:41:11 »

And cheaper👍

Dad's cars, There was a few of them, I was fortunate to get driving lessons in Dad's company car which just happened to be a 1972 2500 BMW, I think this is where my love of big cars came from.

My Dad nearly always had Fords MK2 3 & 4 Zephyrs & Zodiacs mostly , had a MK1 Cortina for a short while but didn't like it, my favourite car of his was a 2.4 Jaguar in black had the wheel covers over the rear wheels & burgundy leather interior  I can even remember seeing it for sale on the car lot £335 ! I would love to own it now, reg number was UYY 765 must have been around 1965 when he bought it.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2021, 12:46:30 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 April 2021, 13:13:17 »

I think the three of them go well together. :y

The Noakes Pervert, and Singleton of the car world. ::) :) 

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2021, 00:09:15 »

I'm sure I've written here before, but the 'new' Top Gear is actually quite watchable.  Whether that is comparing it to the Chris Evans era, I don't know, but it's gone back to a similar format as the Clarkson, May, Hammond era.

If you aren't completely adverse to technology, Chris Harris' has a brilliant YouTube channel.  His natural enthusiasm for cars is evident in all the video's he shares.

Back to the Monaro.  I'm pretty sure I'd never own one.  I really don't understand why Vauxhall imported it at all.  A large coupe with terrible fuel consumption was never going to work, especially back then.

The VXR8...... yes.  A big 4 Door Saloon.... a useable waste of money.  I reckon if it was available in the Estate (like it was in Aus), they would have sold more.

EDIT TO ADD:  I've never owned an Estate car......... but if the VXR8 was available, I'd buy one.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 00:11:14 by Broomies Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2021, 08:56:46 »

There is or was a Lotus Carlton estate for sale recently.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 April 2021, 11:36:34 »

There is or was a Lotus Carlton estate for sale recently.
Vauxhall carlton diamond fitted with lotus engine and parts
Lotus never made an LC estate
so many parts including the back bumper must be modified or perhaps an Irmscher senator estate item  :-\

it's very nice though  8)

clicky linky

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2021, 20:41:52 »

I'm sure I've written here before, but the 'new' Top Gear is actually quite watchable.  Whether that is comparing it to the Chris Evans era, I don't know, but it's gone back to a similar format as the Clarkson, May, Hammond era.

If you aren't completely adverse to technology, Chris Harris' has a brilliant YouTube channel.  His natural enthusiasm for cars is evident in all the video's he shares.

Back to the Monaro.  I'm pretty sure I'd never own one.  I really don't understand why Vauxhall imported it at all.  A large coupe with terrible fuel consumption was never going to work, especially back then.

The VXR8...... yes.  A big 4 Door Saloon.... a useable waste of money.  I reckon if it was available in the Estate (like it was in Aus), they would have sold more.

EDIT TO ADD:  I've never owned an Estate car......... but if the VXR8 was available, I'd buy one.

I quite like the new trio on top gear too,anyone seen the top gear tribute to Sabine Schmitz,most presenters past and present were on it and nicely put together :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 April 2021, 23:58:13 »

Yes I saw that. Great tribute. She was quite unique.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.