Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dog theft  (Read 3415 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
dog theft
« on: 14 April 2021, 19:30:01 »

dog stealing as all of us know is rife at the moment. a farmer near to where i live has had 3 working dogs taken. a chipped collar is the nearest one can get to tracking an animal along with micro chipping. apparently there is nothing to inject into an animal that allows something to trace a missing dog. i would of thought someone would have come up with something

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: dog theft
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2021, 09:20:16 »

it needs half an ounce of lead injecting into the thieves.

the punishment for pet theft is so low its no deterent

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2021, 09:30:58 »

Demand for dogs has rocketed as have prices.  My neighbour told me the other day that her niece recently paid £4000 for a French Bulldog puppy!  :o

Unfortunately there are people who will buy dogs (or anything else) from anyone if the price is right.  A few years ago a friend bought a chocolate Lab puppy from a fella with a box of them in the back of a car in a B&Q car park when his little lad pestered him, and seemed surprised that the vet gave him a bollocking when he took it in for vaccinations.  ::)  Yes he lacks common sense....  :-X

The rescue centres will be bursting at the seems when people eventually have to go back to work and the lockdown pooch doesn't fit in anymore.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2021, 10:44:55 »

Demand for dogs has rocketed as have prices.  My neighbour told me the other day that her niece recently paid £4000 for a French Bulldog puppy!  :o

Unfortunately there are people who will buy dogs (or anything else) from anyone if the price is right.  A few years ago a friend bought a chocolate Lab puppy from a fella with a box of them in the back of a car in a B&Q car park when his little lad pestered him, and seemed surprised that the vet gave him a bollocking when he took it in for vaccinations.  ::)  Yes he lacks common sense....  :-X

The rescue centres will be bursting at the seems when people eventually have to go back to work and the lockdown pooch doesn't fit in anymore.  :-\
I read recently that about 80% of french bulldogs have to be born by Caesarean section, because the head can't fit through the pelvis. Stupid fickin breeders again.

Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2021, 11:50:37 »

Demand for dogs has rocketed as have prices.  My neighbour told me the other day that her niece recently paid £4000 for a French Bulldog puppy:o

My son has a Frenchie with blue in his coat colour. He didn't pay quite that much but blues fetch silly money.
Clips on the internet show that any dog is at risk, not just fashionable dogs. One clip shows a traveller getting a slap from a dog owner after the owner follows them back to their yard in his car to claim back his dog.
As the OP said, micro chipping is only any good if they actually find the dog, and the GPS tracker is in the dogs collar so easily removable. I believe a company called PeddyMark or similar were looking in to GPS chip insertion but as yet there's no inserted tracker for dogs. I suspect a GPS transmitter tracker chip would require a battery, which adds to the problem, whereas a micro chip doesn't.  :-\
« Last Edit: 15 April 2021, 11:52:19 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2021, 13:47:43 »

The pikies have been dognapping for years!   ::)

Quite a few years ago now, a friend of a friend had the family mongrel taken from their garden.  A note was popped through the letterbox a couple of days later demanding £800 for the dog. The police didn't want to know and advised to pay the money.  >:( 

So they did and got the dog back. Which was something I suppose....
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2021, 14:06:53 »

...... The police didn't want to know and advised to pay the money.  >:( 

I'm sure that Lizzie would be able to offer advise .....  ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2021, 14:27:29 »

...... The police didn't want to know and advised to pay the money.  >:( 

I'm sure that Lizzie would be able to offer advise .....  ::)

I would have thought the police did record the theft, but without evidence, like CCTV or witnesses it is very hard for them to follow up on such a case.  Often it is a number of these cases that come together with the police eventually identifying the culprit(s) and arrests taking place.

Although the loss of any pet is distressing it is not in the scheme of things the crime of the century from a policing point of view, but I know once they have accumulated enough intelligence / evidence the police will do their best. 

I am always surprised though as to how weak the dog chip and registration scheme is.  I understand there are separate chipping schemes involved, and identifying who actually is the owner of a dog that is found, by even a vet, is far more complicated than it should be.  There is apparently, from what I have been told, no single dog owners register that a vet or police can look at.  There are various ones that are not linked.  Plain stupid and very distressing for owners who lose dogs for any reason. :(
« Last Edit: 15 April 2021, 14:29:51 by Lizzie Zoom »

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2021, 15:04:27 »

I read recently that about 80% of french bulldogs have to be born by Caesarean section, because the head can't fit through the pelvis. Stupid fickin breeders again.

I can only imagine what's in your magazine rack .....then again , maybe not .

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2021, 15:33:04 »

I can only imagine what's in your magazine rack .....then again , maybe not .
A vast array of diverse literature, Don, hence the reason for my wide knowledge on a multitude of subjects  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2021, 15:34:04 »

Or.....who the fûck has owned a magazine rack within the last fifty years?  ::)
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2021, 15:39:31 »

This useful little helper can also hold your LP's and 78's :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2021, 15:40:37 »

You'd know  :-*
Is yours brass or wood?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2021, 15:41:48 »

The old record player would hold five or six 45RPM singles at one time. :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2021, 15:45:56 »

The old record player would hold five or six 45RPM singles at one time. :y
Yes but, if you overloaded the spindle, two or three might drop at once, sending the stylus skidding along the record.  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.