Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: diagnosing rear shock failure (almost) - ideas?  (Read 905 times)

jjleonard

• stevenage
    • View Profile
diagnosing rear shock failure (almost) - ideas?
« on: 29 June 2009, 22:18:06 »

I've got a 2.6 elite saloon with self levelling suspension.

I've started to get problems (today!) with my rear suspension - after i've hit a bump hard, the right rear shock feels like it locks up - the back end gets skittish and thumps and bumps like a bugger over the smallest bumps.

Parked up, the passenger side rear end will compress relatively easily when leaned on, but the drivers side is rock solid.

When left for 10 mins or so the pressure appears to have eased off, and it's all good again. Until I hit a hard bump again, and it feels like it's locked up again.

The shock isn't seized, but i'm guessing that when hit hard, it loses it's 'springiness' and needs the air compressor to bleed some air out of it when the car is at a standstill, then it's OK again.

If I drive carefully, the problem doesn't happen. but hit a bump unexpectedly, and i'm right back to hard suspension again.

That's my amateur diagnosis - any tips on other stuff to look for before I break out the wallet and the toolkit again?

P.S. rear springs are both a couple of months old and in good shape. I think I heard a hissing from the front of the car when it was parked up, after the shock last 'locked up'. I'm assuming that was the compressor bleeding air from the shock?

P.P.S. - anybody got a pair of shocks for sale? I'd like to keep the self levelling, but don't have a TC or the £300 retail for a new pair.

eddie

• Intermediate Member
  • Cardiff
    • View Profile
Re: diagnosing rear shock failure (almost) - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2009, 23:14:43 »

If these are the same as the manually (air valve in boot) adjusted shocks fitted to the Carlton,then it may be full of water!

When I took mine of 'cause they had gone 'solid' a lovely stream of water flew out of the connector when i compressed the shocks. Worth a look?

eddie

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2009, 23:53:29 »

ive had self level shocks fail and your description sounds different to my experience. The oil leaked out of mine and they lost all their effective damping resulting in the wheels bouncing over bumps. Felt like they where solid(the only similarity to your description) i suppose. Its easy job to remove the shocks, worth removing and examine the bladders still hold air, or are not full of water, and that the bottom of the shock is not all oily. They should extend fully when not fitted and take all your wait to compress them with one end on the floor iirc. New ones are 150 ish with a tc card or fit stock items but the self level springs are too soft to maintain the same ride hight so the back will sit a bit lower if you do that.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2009, 00:47:39 »

Experiences with Senators suggests most owners replace the self-levelling system with standard units when they wear out. Suppose it depends how keen you are to keep self-levelling, really.

Is it a bit of a gimmick/toy, or do you find yourself appreciating its there? Therein lies your answer!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2009, 10:45:49 »

Experiences with Senators suggests most owners replace the self-levelling system with standard units when they wear out. Suppose it depends how keen you are to keep self-levelling, really.

Is it a bit of a gimmick/toy, or do you find yourself appreciating its there? Therein lies your answer!

This is it. I have mv6 suspension fitted at the moment, but have not fitted mv6 rear springs yet. They are still elite self level springs which are a little soft. I have a tow bar and a 60 litre lpg tank fitted, considerable weight added. The back end is about half an inch lower than the front. On the rare occassions i will have 4 people in the car with fully loaded boot,  roof rack and my soon to arrive bike trailer, i suspect i will have to re fit my self level shocks either permanently or only when needed.

If you've had working self level and regular weight in the car you may well miss it.

jjleonard

• stevenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2009, 21:32:32 »

thanks all.

I'm tempted to fit standard shocks but as chris says, the self levelling springs are a bit softer and in my case, new and a pain in the arse to fit (or remove and replace for stiffer ones!).

I took the mig on a long run today (400 miles to taunton and back down the A303) and it ran like a beauty - I also had the chance to feel how it handled with an empty and a full tank, thanks to its' ability to guzzle fuel when i'm crusing at a ton plus for an hour *cough*.

It did feel a bit stiffer in the rear end, but this suits a high speed run no end, it really did feel planted and secure and was, for the first time since I bought it, an absolute beauty to drive.

This needs a more careful examination, methinks. Best get the shocks off at the weekend and have a closer look.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2009, 01:09:22 »

Never had the luxury of self-levelling, so don't miss it :(

Let us know how you get on.

I have a feeling we havent heard the last of you!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2009, 02:23:42 »

Oh, just thought I should say, I've just spotted 'markey mark' has a self-levelling rear damper in the for sale section.  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2009, 03:30:35 »

sore a face lift cd in a car park today, 4 adults and 2 kids roof top box and a full boot. Back end was very low. If plod see it they will pull it. It May have had another issue of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.