Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking of tyres?  (Read 2229 times)

Taxi_Driver

Talking of tyres?
« on: 26 January 2007, 18:33:58 »

Anyone know where i can get a space saver wheel for my Omega?

I have one at the mo......but its really for a vectra and a bit small  ::)

And having discovered the spare wheel i chucked in the back of one of vectras wont bloody fit it :(
.....its 5 stud but wont go on....driver discovered the hole in the middle is too small  :(

So im giving him my space saver......therefore need to get a replacement but a bigger size...

Tried ebay....no luck  :( I know vx do space savers.....but dont think for omegas.

All i need is roughly right size.....and one that will fit.
I dont ever intend to fit it to the front.....if i did get a flat on the front i would swap one of back to the front and use the space saver on the rear.....and only in emergency situation to get me nearest tyre place....and slowly at that!

Cheers

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Talking of tyres?
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2007, 21:51:35 »

If I understand correctly you have a doughnut LPG tank in the boot instead of the standard-size spare?

How about ‘run-flat’ tyres…?  :o
Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2007, 22:09:39 »

that would give a bone hard ride! What about that stuff you can get which puts foam or something in the tyres to get you home??

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2007, 22:37:43 »

go on ebay and look for Saab space saver buddy they are the same pcd and will bolt straight on!!
Omegatoy

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2007, 22:59:28 »

that would give a bone hard ride! What about that stuff you can get which puts foam or something in the tyres to get you home??

That would only work if you have straightforward puncture... if you spotted it late and drove on the tyre you could have messed-it up beyond the repair capabilities of the spray can... also there are other cases (e.g. blown tyre) when the can is not enough. And I can see how a paying customer might find it awkward that a taxi has no spare...
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2007, 23:01:18 »

That would only work if you have straightforward puncture... if you spotted it late and drove on the tyre you could have messed-it up beyond the repair capabilities of the spray can... also there are other cases (e.g. blown tyre) when the can is not enough. And I can see how a paying customer might find it awkward that a taxi has no spare...

I carry a can in my boot in addition to the full size spare, as a fall-back option if I get a puncture on a cold wet night in the middle of nowhere, but my first port of call would be to try an swap the failed tyre for the spare.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2007, 07:05:39 »

If I understand correctly you have a doughnut LPG tank in the boot instead of the standard-size spare?

Yep and run flat tyres are not really an option.....too expensive

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2007, 07:07:59 »

I carry a can in my boot in addition to the full size spare, as a fall-back option if I get a puncture on a cold wet night in the middle of nowhere, but my first port of call would be to try an swap the failed tyre for the spare.

Tried one of them once, when i got a puncture in a veccy.....£8 waste of time....it just filled the tyre with white goo.....didnt actually blow it up tho  >:(

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2007, 07:08:42 »

go on ebay and look for Saab space saver buddy they are the same pcd and will bolt straight on!!
Omegatoy

Cheers m8....will have a look  :y

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2007, 07:42:30 »

Some tyre fitters, will not effect a propper repair on a tyre that's has foam in it. Reason being, they may be able to remove the screw or object, but they are uncertain as to any other damage on the tyre that has been bunged by foam...  Could be wall damage...!!!!....   They're right really I think..

Dave C
Do it right, do it once................

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2007, 13:09:56 »

Yep and run flat tyres are not really an option.....too expensive

You really shouldn't fit run-flats without a pressure monitoring system anyway, if the tyre loses pressure on the M-way you might not notice due to it retaining its profile, but when you come off onto that slip road and try taking the 90-degree bend at 50 MPH :o

I'm pretty sure any car fitted with run flats at the factory has electronic pressure monitoring as standard.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2007, 10:34:24 »

I'm pretty sure any car fitted with run flats at the factory has electronic pressure monitoring as standard.
Yes, a legal requirement... (if factory fit?)
Grumpy old man

deano

• derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2007, 17:05:33 »

hi mate i have just brought tyres for my omega 225/55/16 and the tyre fitter noticed that the spare was 205/55/16 he said this was a space saver?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2007, 17:15:39 »

hi mate i have just brought tyres for my omega 225/55/16 and the tyre fitter noticed that the spare was 205/55/16 he said this was a space saver?

On facelifts, the spare is a normal steel wheel albeit with slightly narower tyre, but it is NOT a proper space saver - more like money saver to Vx so that they don't have to give you 5 alloy wheels  >:(

This also means that you can't rotate the spare with the rest of the tyres, and that in all likely it will remain un-used for the life of the car (in  theory you should not use a tyre that was manufactured more than 6 years ago, but in practice I don't see people changing a brand new spare tyre just because it is 6 years and one month old...).

A 'proper' space saver spare is very small and very very thin, and can only be used for a limited distance at a limited speed (typically 50mph). It is also clearly marked in yellow to make sure you don't forget you are driving on a temp tyre!

This is what TD is after - something that will take as little boot space as possible (to allow for passengers laguage) but at the same time will quickly get him going in case of a puncture.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2007, 17:25:45 »

On facelifts, the spare is a normal steel wheel albeit with slightly narower tyre, but it is NOT a proper space saver - more like money saver to Vx so that they don't have to give you 5 alloy wheels  >:(

This also means that you can't rotate the spare with the rest of the tyres, and that in all likely it will remain un-used for the life of the car (in  theory you should not use a tyre that was manufactured more than 6 years ago, but in practice I don't see people changing a brand new spare tyre just because it is 6 years and one month old...).

A 'proper' space saver spare is very small and very very thin, and can only be used for a limited distance at a limited speed (typically 50mph). It is also clearly marked in yellow to make sure you don't forget you are driving on a temp tyre!

This is what TD is after - something that will take as little boot space as possible (to allow for passengers laguage) but at the same time will quickly get him going in case of a puncture.

Correct MJ  :y

But im still struggling to find one......searching fleabay for saab space savers.....i can find 16" 4 stud or 15" 5 stud ones....id idealy like a 16" 5 stud one.....the one i have at the mo is 15" 5 stud one and i dont think really ideal...as i said it was really meant for a veccy.

johndm1957

• Bedford
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2007, 16:58:09 »

Interesting.....my 03 Elite has a full size alloy in the boot, shod with a brand new Pirelli Pzero, 235/45/17

However, the boot trim panel won't fit over it properly....but Its going to get a mate next week and live on the front, as both fronts are low and differant brands, causes a bit of 'tramlining' on the motorway.

What size spare/steel rim should be in the boot...?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2007, 19:13:43 »

So where & how did Rover fit the tyre pressure monitor system on the SD1 back in 1976?
This suggest that a monitoring system is a nice-to-have.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2007, 19:22:39 »

So where & how did Rover fit the tyre pressure monitor system on the SD1 back in 1976?
This suggest that a monitoring system is a nice-to-have.
Dunno about the past, but a requirement now (possibly only for factory fit)...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2007, 00:45:57 »

...What size spare/steel rim should be in the boot...?

GLS/CD/CDX: 225/55x16 7J (alloys) with 205/65x15 spare (steel)
MV6/Elite: 235/45x17 7.5J (alloys) with 195/65x15 spare (steel)

This was in 2001, may have changed later...
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2007, 00:53:42 »

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.