Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Leak and Burning Oil Smell  (Read 651 times)

skibarr

• Surrey
    • View Profile
Oil Leak and Burning Oil Smell
« on: 30 January 2007, 19:20:38 »

Right here goes for my first lesson in Car Maintenance.  I've looked at all the other areas such as the FAQ's and Technical Help but need to know where to start and what order to do everything. From the following description you can tell I'm mechanically inexpierienced but willing to give it a go so sorry if you are repeating yourselves for the hundredth time.

I have got quite a severe oil leak on my 2.5 v6. I couldn't spot where it was coming from as the whole engine was pretty dirty. Gave it all a bit of a clean last week and have had another look. I've got a small amout of oil leaking from the neck of the filler itself and on closer inspection the filler neck is loose and looks like one side has snapped off of something as the whole thing came away in my hand when I twisted to get the cap off. (oops) How do I replace this and the bit it should be attached to?

I don't think the main leak is from here as there seems to be more oil on my drive that would leak from that point so I think there is a bigger leaker coming from further down the block somewhere. I read somewhere on here that it could be leaking from an oil sensor on the sump??? I haven't been able to find the link again since. Help?

I have a real smell of burning oil when at low speeds and the fan is on in the cabin but guess that could be the leaking oil or blocked breathers etc.

I also read on one of the guides about the tapping sound from the engine.

So basically my engine needs a bit of tlc and I need to know where to start and what order to do anything before I use all the guides on this site and end up taking the engine to bits and putting it back together and then finding I need to take it to bits again before I can carry out the next task.

All advice gratefully welcome with list of tools and parts.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Leak and Burning Oil Smell
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2007, 19:51:54 »

Rocker gaskets are a leakly source of leak...
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Leak and Burning Oil Smell
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2007, 21:01:20 »

Rocker gaskets are a leakly source of leak...

Nice play on words TB  :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.