Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibration when braking  (Read 1178 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Vibration when braking
« on: 15 February 2007, 15:18:30 »

…only when driving at motorway speed, and when applying light pressure to the pedal… driving slower, or applying firm pressure, does not cause this.

Is it due to…

warped disks?

wheel bearings?

wheel balancing?

other suspension component…?

Thanks!
Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration when braking
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2007, 15:22:35 »

steering idler arm?  :-/

I take it the vibration is though the wheel not your seat?

I had a similar prob, turned out to be my discs, previous owner put small pads on then full size ones creating wobble affect, below 50mph no vibration. The higher the speed the more violent the vibration, is it the same for you? Or does it feel like the same braking at say 80 compared to 50 ?

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2007, 15:23:31 »

I've not had this on the Omega, but I've had it on Various vehicles previously, especially the Sintra...

it's nearly always been the first signs of warped discs  for me...   but on one occasion it was unevenly wearing pads due to a sticky caliper....

The Sintra Eats Discs regularly  , they're basically not big enough to dissipate the heat fast enough from slowing down a jet propelled Bus.

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2007, 15:26:16 »

Disks are original Vx item fitted by Vx some 20k ago, on visual inspection they look good i.e. no lip or uneven surface (I don’t brake very harshly or very late so the brakes don’t get much abuse).

I know I have a small play in the front bearings (MOT advisory) but didn’t think it would have such an effect…

And yes, it only comes up when braking from at around 70mph and up…
Alas, no more Omegas....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2007, 15:31:40 »

I know I have a small play in the front bearings (MOT advisory) .......
Anther £100 then.  :(

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2007, 16:26:21 »

What colour are the discs??

Any areas of Blueish discolouration indicates over heated discs.... it might only be on one of them,.,.

and it might potentially be only on one side...  making it tough to check quickly... as the inner surface is slightly harder to inspect....  needing wheel off and steering turned...

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

bigall

• merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2007, 18:08:49 »

Slight run out of disc or discs. Note you have an auto this tale was related to me about my omega with same problem. Having driven any distance then stopping warms up/ truth heats up/  pads and discs most auto drivers sit with foot on brake when stopped - nice hot pad stuck on one part of hot disc result slight warp. Nice tale  as to whether true or not Urquart ="couldn't possibly say"

Cured mine by releasing callipers cleaning throughly with special emphasis on calliper sliders - they were bunged up with copper grease and 140K miles of road sludge and pad shavings - lightly regreased and put new boots on  all ok - for the time being
I drive a moneypit Omega - at least its comfortable!!!!!  200k approaching rapidly!!!!!!!!! "") (must change oil soon)

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2007, 18:12:57 »

... it might also be worth having a look at your wishbones too ...

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2007, 18:53:29 »

Thanks...

I'll better get the disk+pads and bearings done, all are due anyway. And good cleaning of calipers. Will see if I also need wishbones etc, hopefully not...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2007, 18:46:44 »

OK, without taking the wheels off, both disks look and feel perfect on the outer surface i.e. no lips and no grooves, however the left side appears to be pitted, i.e. it is smooth to the touch but visually not shining like the other – which suggest that the pad may not always be in full contact with the disk…

So probably what I need is just to clean and copper-grease the callipers as suggested by some, allowing them to slide freely, maybe smoothing the pad a bit is not flat, and all will be well.

However, since the disks and pads were done around 3y/25k ago, they will not last forever and for the cost of around a tenner for new pads, plus again the same for sensor, might as well change the pads while I’m at it. But then the disks are cheap on TC, so not a bad idea to get a disks&pads set. Come to think of it, there is that small play in the front wheel bearings which was an MOT advisory last year, probably not a serious problem yet but as I am already taking off the front wheels, disks, and callipers….

Right, so we are looking at a slightly bigger job than originally envisioned, pencilled in for when I have some time off in April. I will take pictures…  :y

Alas, no more Omegas....

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2007, 19:49:46 »

from memory, front disc & pad set is about £70-80 inc. VAT on TC, plus sensors is about £100 ... whilst you've got the car up and wheel off, you can see the vertical bush on the wishbone. On mine the edge of the bush was poking out the top of its' hole when the wishbone was angled fully downwards ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.