Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: frequency range of speakers  (Read 1502 times)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
frequency range of speakers
« on: 18 June 2007, 18:29:22 »

Bit of an od question i know, but i am trying to set up my alpine amp to suit the frequency range of the speakers in my miggy.

I still have the standard Bose set up in the car as well as the head unit, i am finding it has a lot of tone even when the tone is set to mid on the HU.

If anything i would prefer to have it a bit more rich and bassy, not boom boom just more body to it

TIA

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: frequency range of speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2007, 20:50:09 »

Hows it set up?

What amps are driving which speakers?

Are you driving the shelf speakers with seperate amps?

I would guess at setting the door speakers with a high pass at around 80Hz ish and the rear speakers with a low pass of similar....then fiddle a bit.

You should be able to then increase the or decrease the bass by altering the gain to the shelf speakers.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2007, 22:30:37 »

the set up is a bit crude, i will explain  :)

I have remove the Bose amp, connected phono leads to the inputs on the bose and then connected the speakers to the amp.
the amp is an Alpine MRV-F407 amp. Currently i have the fronts on one channel and the rear on another, this in itself poses an issue as the door and shelf speakers are all running from the same channel, something that seems to be the same as the Bose amp.

Hope that makes sense

here is the original installation thread.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1155568471
« Last Edit: 18 June 2007, 22:41:01 by jay_w »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2007, 00:10:01 »

I'd be inclined to run the rear door speakers from the head unit. They don't contribute much anyway and you won't want to feed them with the same frequency range as the bass speakers.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2007, 09:37:32 »

The Bose amp is a 6 channel affair and drives the shelf speakers seperately to the door ones...

One option might be to drive the rear door speakers using the rear amplified channels from the head unit and then use two amp channels to drive the shelf speakers and the other two to drive the front door speakers.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2007, 16:14:15 »

the Alpine amp does have a sub output, i have been thinking about this as an alternative......

split the rear shelf and door speakers, have the shelf speakers running from the sub output and having a low gain on them.

Run the front and rear door speakers from the other 4 available channels that way i still only have the one amp.

i know the amp will handle it, but i am talking rubbish?

I want to get this right so when i change the miigy next year it will be easy to do the conversion into the new one

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2007, 16:52:49 »

I would ask yourself if you need to drive the rear door speakers from the amp. They only need to make sufficient sound that a rear seat passenger gets a little fill-in sound. If they are heard from the front seats significantly they tend to spoil the stereo image, or what little remains in a car, IMHO. I rarely have rear seat passengers anyway.

Just feeding them with a few watts from the head unit rear amps works OK for me. I too have an MFV-F407 driving the front speakers and a sub (well, actually an old hi-fi speaker!) in the boot. Around 100Hz seemed to be about the best crossover frequency using nothing more scientific than my ears.

Then again, a lot of subs have built-in amps these days, so you could just plug this into the output on the alpine.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.