Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elite Mirrors  (Read 1007 times)

feeutfo

Elite Mirrors
« on: 16 June 2011, 20:47:22 »

What a pita these are...

Silver Elite mirror is buggered, but the electrics still work, fully adjusts, heats up, remembers it's position all fine. But the plastics are mullard. So I got a nice silver mirror off an mv6 with the intention of swapping the internal loom and electrics over to match the Elite. Should be easy enough I thought.... WRONG! ....'dangle berries'!

Can't pic the plugs apart to get the loom out. ( loom runs through a hole in the swivel hinge which is just big enough to get the cable through), and I can only assume the plugs are then put on after. It would be easier to cut the loom and re solder thinking about it. But the loom would then be shorter and it's already mean on cable.

I had to put it down before Sumat got even more broke.

Or am I missing something? :-/

Bloody things! >:(

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
Re: Elite Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2011, 21:00:00 »

I've got 2 in star silver 157 for an Elite aswell ::) ::)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2011, 21:05:12 »

What a pita these are...

Silver Elite mirror is buggered, but the electrics still work, fully adjusts, heats up, remembers it's position all fine. But the plastics are mullard. So I got a nice silver mirror off an mv6 with the intention of swapping the internal loom and electrics over to match the Elite. Should be easy enough I thought.... WRONG! ....'dangle berries'!

Can't pic the plugs apart to get the loom out. ( loom runs through a hole in the swivel hinge which is just big enough to get the cable through), and I can only assume the plugs are then put on after. It would be easier to cut the loom and re solder thinking about it. But the loom would then be shorter and it's already mean on cable.

Yes you can! Had to do this on my first Elite. You have to write down which colour goes where and using a pin or watchmakers screwdriver depress the flying leg on each pin through the gap then extract the wire and pin from the socket.

If you can't work it out I can show you at The Lakes.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2011, 21:06:16 by VXL_V6 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2011, 21:16:54 »

Should have bought a poverty spec CD  ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2011, 21:27:16 »

Should have bought a poverty spec CD  ::)
Aye?
No, I should have bought an Elite mirror. Cheaper... Maybe?  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2011, 21:34:47 »

What a pita these are...

Yes you can! Had to do this on my first Elite. You have to write down which colour goes where and using a pin or watchmakers screwdriver depress the flying leg on each pin through the gap then extract the wire and pin from the socket.

If you can't work it out I can show you at The Lakes.
Well yeah, mirror end looked easiest, grey clip slides out, until I got one wire half out and realized it has to be "pinned out" twice per wire. Theres two stages to each wire once the clip is off. So I thought maybe the other loom end plug would be easier, but could not get the grey clip out... Harumpf. Good time to stop I thought.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2011, 22:02:52 »

I have some proper tools to remove pins from connectors somewhere. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2011, 22:55:10 »

Kevin

I bought a set about 3 years ago because they looked useful. They still do everytime I find them at the bottom of the cupboard. A flat bladed jewellers screwdriver does a pretty good job; a cheap set from somewhere like poundland is what's required, along with a bit of jiggling.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2011, 05:07:22 »

Another option might be to cut the loom from the mirror end of a knackered one and solder it to the door side of your loom, making the cable about 2/3rds longer. If you need the extra cable that is. :-/

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2011, 17:33:46 »

Another option might be to cut the loom from the mirror end of a knackered one and solder it to the door side of your loom, making the cable about 2/3rds longer. If you need the extra cable that is. :-/

Unfortunately the Elite loom is different to the normal loom due to the feedback signals to the seat (mirror position forms part of the preset settings on the Elite seats)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2011, 19:04:45 »

Kevin

I bought a set about 3 years ago because they looked useful. They still do everytime I find them at the bottom of the cupboard. A flat bladed jewellers screwdriver does a pretty good job; a cheap set from somewhere like poundland is what's required, along with a bit of jiggling.

Yes, OK for some connectors, except the ones with round pins. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2011, 06:15:23 »

Unfortunately the Elite loom is different to the normal loom due to the feedback signals to the seat (mirror position forms part of the preset settings on the Elite seats)

:y

I had presumed that much ::) What I meant was to use the loom cut from another dead elite mirror...

Any progress?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.