Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone please explain this to me  (Read 790 times)

STEMO

Can someone please explain this to me
« on: 29 January 2020, 15:28:25 »

The BBC has suspended the closure of its Red Button text service after protests, a day before it was due to have started being phased out.
The news comes days after a petition, organised by the National Federation of the Blind of the UK (NFBUK), was handed in to the BBC and Downing Street.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone please explain this to me
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2020, 15:53:43 »

They have listened to the opinions of some of those who use the service and will reconsider the options ... I see little wrong with that.

Many partially sighted folks use the text based news on a large screen TV as the only way they can "read" items as newsprint/computer monitors are simply too small to enlarge the text sufficiently.

Many hearing impaired folks also "read" the news this way as they can't "listen" to the radio/TV

Others use it as it is convenient and they like it.

Seeemples ...  :)

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2020, 16:02:04 »

Yes.....but if you can hear, you could just listen to the news. It's rolling 24 hours, so you can't exactly miss it. Badly written article imo.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2020, 16:09:16 »

If you are forced to "listen" to 24 hour rolling news you just hear the same thing a thousand times.

I visit an elderly lady who is totally housebound (carers visit to get her up/feed her/put her to bed) she has arthritus badly, is partially sighted, and wears (when the carers remember to fit them) hearing aids.

She is quite "happy" ( ? ) sitting in her lounge with a large button remote able to "channel hop" or use the "red button" to get information about the world outside, or to listen to a presetup audio system that also uses a large button remote. This gives her choice, and freedom, to listen to, or watch, what she wants ... not what she's told to.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2020, 20:12:50 »

When the BBC was in its infancy, it was classed as a "service". It,s certainly trying to move away from that now. Tony Hall is getting out the right time. For him,anyway.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.