Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor roads in Daventry area.  (Read 3880 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Minor roads in Daventry area.
« Reply #15 on: 26 August 2023, 22:20:50 »

I've spent the last 2 weeks driving in France and it's demonstrated what a disgrace the UK's road system is.

Sensible 130 kph speed limit except where there's a good reason for it not to be.
Drivers who get out of the offside lanes unless they're actually passing slower traffic.
No potholes, even on the rural roads.
No dawdlers.

Came off the tunnel last night straight into 15 miles of 50 MPH average speed limit for no apparent reason other than to protect some traffic cones, and a road surface that would probably lose you your fillings if taken any faster. Loads of idiots trundling along in the central lanes oblivious of being passed by faster traffic on both sides.  >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2023, 10:00:52 »

It's not just roads, it's a lot more. Our council has decided that, this year, it's not going to do any work on the trees that line some streets(like ours). There are low hanging branches banging off not just trucks, but vans and SUV's, they are so low. The suckers at the bottom of the trees are blocking the pavements. The grass on the verges is like a jungle.
And, of course, we have more than our fair share of pot holes. Everywhere just looks unkempt and run down.
Our council has come up with the bright idea of moving from fortnightly bin collections to every 3 weeks.  Its still under consultation, but they have kept the consultations private in the hope it would go through, but its leaked now ;D

Obviously, aside from the problem of foxes and other vermin, it will massively increase fly tipping, and make the place a shithole.

But then have to pay for their shiny new building, the building of which caused them to go bankrupt a couple of years back, somehow...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 August 2023, 10:05:33 »

No potholes, even on the rural roads.
No dawdlers.
Oh, I don't know, a lot of those tree lined* rural roads have the roots growing under the rounds, making them a bit bouncy ;D

And the pissed up drivers after lunch and 3 bottles of local plonk, they can dawdle ;D

But, yes, I agree with all of that - a drive from the shithole called Calais to the south coast is an easy drive.  A trip from the shithole called Dover the same distance north is a major trauma.

* Which the do-gooders wouldn't allow here, because drivers might hit them.  The retards running this place are stupidly trying to save the Darwin candidates :(
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2023, 12:54:13 »

We drove in Spain year before last the roads in the area were fantastic & even the roundabouts were well cared for with fantastic displays of colourful flowers, our roundabouts in this area look like areas of a jungle that have been plonked in the road.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 August 2023, 13:30:05 »

We drove in Spain year before last the roads in the area were fantastic & even the roundabouts were well cared for with fantastic displays of colourful flowers, our roundabouts in this area look like areas of a jungle that have been plonked in the road.

Quite true. We do have potholes but not as bad as the uk. I keep putting off driving back to Yorkshire. The A64 from York to Scarborough is stop start.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2023, 13:38:37 »

This so called 'rewilding' of road verges in the name of conservation is just an excuse for councils to just not do their obligations. That's ok on straighter areas  but on corners and especially junctions it's downright dangerous. The size of some of the weeds that now grow between the road and pavement kerbs are now bordering on bushes, (just like Tigs buddleia). A council guy came flying around with a quad bike with a pesticide tank on it a few weeks ago. They should have told him to put something into the tank, as it's made no difference to the mega weeds.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 August 2023, 17:43:32 »

This so called 'rewilding' of road verges in the name of conservation is just an excuse for councils to just not do their obligations. That's ok on straighter areas  but on corners and especially junctions it's downright dangerous. The size of some of the weeds that now grow between the road and pavement kerbs are now bordering on bushes, (just like Tigs buddleia). A council guy came flying around with a quad bike with a pesticide tank on it a few weeks ago. They should have told him to put something into the tank, as it's made no difference to the mega Triffids. ;D

::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 August 2023, 17:50:28 »

Yes the council haven't bothered to weedkill along our road this year either.

There is a Buddleia sapling that has sprung up out of a joint in the kerbs outside my house, and I haven't made my mind up yet whether to pull it out or wait to see how big it gets before the council get round to tidying up the place.  ::)
I wouldn't know a buddleia if it jumped out of a hedge and mugged me  :-\
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 August 2023, 19:01:58 »

Yes the council haven't bothered to weedkill along our road this year either.

There is a Buddleia sapling that has sprung up out of a joint in the kerbs outside my house, and I haven't made my mind up yet whether to pull it out or wait to see how big it gets before the council get round to tidying up the place.  ::)
I wouldn't know a buddleia if it jumped out of a hedge and mugged me  :-\

Often seen growing wild by the side of railway tracks.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/buddleja

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 August 2023, 19:06:41 »

I've just trimmed our one by the shed right back as they grow like mad, butterflies love them, sometimes referred to as " the bombsite plant".
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 August 2023, 19:13:00 »

I've just trimmed our one by the shed right back as they grow like mad, butterflies love them, sometimes referred to as " the bombsite plant".

Yes I have one in my garden and didn't get round to cutting it back last year so it's huge now and due a butchering!

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2023, 19:29:47 »

Yes I have one in my garden and didn't get round to cutting it back last year so it's huge now and due a butchering!

We didn't have one a couple of years ago, I'm guessing this one has sprung up from next doors one which is gigantic, the couple next door are well into their eighties and just won't admit that the house & garden are just too much for them.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2023, 20:55:26 »

We didn't have one a couple of years ago, I'm guessing this one has sprung up from next doors one which is gigantic, the couple next door are well into their eighties and just won't admit that the house & garden are just too much for them.

I think the one in my garden is a wild one and my neighbours have one the same as well.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2023, 23:53:24 »

The guy next door to me has Parkinsons, poor sod, so he can't do his garden very well now. He's got a grape vine that's worse than a triffid and some of the brambles that come through his rotten fence into my side are like razor wire.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 August 2023, 19:28:08 »

I was driving between Lower Boddington and Aston-le-Wells this afternoon - not a million miles from Daventry - and it was impossible not to drive into potholes allow that bit of road.  Probably not helped by all the pointless HS2 construction traffic that seem unable to use the brand new dedicated roads that HS2 have built for construction.  self-abusers.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.