Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: End of Motor Travel in sight?  (Read 2307 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: End of Motor Travel in sight?
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2014, 12:56:02 »

Great info there thanks Seth!! 8) 8) :y :y :y

It is wonderful for us rail fans to see such widespread developments.  So much is going on to at last update the Victorian rail infrastructure.

In  London we have of course a major re-development of London Bridge to cope with massive increases in passenger travel, coupled to the fantastic Crossrail project that is building a completely new rail link across the whole City.

Things are a-happening!! :y :y :y :y :y :y :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2014, 13:31:27 »

All agreed Varche, but the "driverless" cars are envisaged to be all electric. At the services I saw ONE bay reserved for recharging. How does that work if 20/30/ whatever cars need recharging (over how many hours / 6, 8 ??) and how do these cars cope with a distance of travel over 550 miles?  How many re-charges v. hours would that take?  The answers will no doubt come with new technology and revised mind-sets, but when?  Will it be in time?

Let's face it we need answers and solutions now. :)

The charging point at the M20 services has been out of action for about 6 weeks now. I've recovered 3 Leafs to the M2 services for a recharge. Unless the range and charging problems are solved, which is a battery problem and nothing to do with the cars, electric cars are a dead end. Or a dead stop at about 100 miles!

I haven't strong feelings one way or the other with electric cars but just like with the advent of diesel cars diesel fuel became available everywhere so will charging points. Think WiFi on the move Internet .

I can't see flying taking much strain off the UK roads. Too much hassle getting to airport, being seen off for parking(or dropping off) then queuing ages for security checks. Trains? well there must be more capacity there but even with imagination it might only reduce todays traffic levels by say 10%. Buses? Perhaps better equipped than the UK ones I remember.

Some possible solutions:

Tax staycations to make it cheaper to go to Spain on holiday
Use teleconferencing for business meetings
Ban the school run
Stagger work and school start/finish times
More working from home or coffice
Bring back giving people lifts(use an app that auto reports vehicle reg you get in to allay safety concerns.)
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2014, 14:22:21 »

The last 4 would make a lot of sense imho

Ban the school run
More working from home or office
Bring back giving people lifts

The biggest problem is we as a whole are lazy barstewards nowdays  :(
We want everything done our way so that we have the least amount of disruption to our social life's and if anybody tries to say no then we scream blue murder  ::) >:(

Trains can be more money efficient if you book weeks / months in advance BUT if you need to get somewhere at short notice then the prices are crazy and well out of the average persons pay packet  >:(

As for motorways, I hate them with a passion and avoid them like the plague during the daytime.
If and when I carry my passport and head down south, i'm on the road at 2am when its quite and arrive as the sun comes up  :y
Get my arse into a small town, find a café for breakfast and don't move until i've had a snooze and the rush hour has passed  :y   

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2014, 14:38:47 »

The last 4 would make a lot of sense imho

Ban the school run
More working from home or office
Bring back giving people lifts

The biggest problem is we as a whole are lazy barstewards nowdays  :(
We want everything done our way so that we have the least amount of disruption to our social life's and if anybody tries to say no then we scream blue murder  ::) >:(

Trains can be more money efficient if you book weeks / months in advance BUT if you need to get somewhere at short notice then the prices are crazy and well out of the average persons pay packet  >:(

As for motorways, I hate them with a passion and avoid them like the plague during the daytime.
If and when I carry my passport and head down south, i'm on the road at 2am when its quite and arrive as the sun comes up  :y
Get my arse into a small town, find a café for breakfast and don't move until i've had a snooze and the rush hour has passed
:y

Very sensible actions Tiger!! :y :y :y :y :y

That is the way it should be done if using common sense, but just emphasises how bad the road congestion has become.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2014, 15:32:17 »

I went to Luton Airport this Friday gone.....2hrs there (not bad really), its about 100miles, but 3.5hrs to get back  :o :(

The long return trip was all to do with heavy traffic......

Should get a Honda, just under 2 hours to Manchester Airport this morning and that is 136 Miles away and up a big hill.......... :D :D ;)

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2014, 16:04:37 »

Trouble with the train is you have to lug all your baggage around and your limited to how much stuff you can take , plus there's always some nutter on the train near you causing hassle ..we felt very nervous and threatened the last time we went on the train and will never use the train again  :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2014, 16:52:49 »

Trouble with the train is you have to lug all your baggage around and your limited to how much stuff you can take , plus there's always some nutter on the train near you causing hassle ..we felt very nervous and threatened the last time we went on the train and will never use the train again  :(

Yep.

I avoid public transport like the plague. It's not cheap either.

bago

• Leicester
    • face lift 2.5 Elite bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2014, 17:43:27 »

yep m6 can be fun I remember last year going from Leicester to Carlisle and back to Leicester ( dam lorry drivers who lose vehicle keys ) in 6:30 including a 30 minute stop :-X

but we had no traffic as it was xmas eve morning.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 10 August 2014, 18:54:55 »

M6 toll every time I have the misfortune to go up that way ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 August 2014, 21:16:23 »

Unfortunately, anything that government's control or influence, they like to perversely make it scare and expensive. Good examples are energy, water and roads. This is why we are a knife edge this winter with expensive electricity, we have hosepipe bans every time we have slightly less than average rainfall and clogged roads with very expensive fuel prices, car parks and as many entrapment systems and fines as they can get away with. Added to this soon will be expensive road pricing, to ease congestion by making running a car out of reach for a bigger percentage of the population.

In the last 15 years due to mass migration the population of the UK has grown by 8 million, with zero increase in major roads, the only increase in road mileage has been due the building of new housing estates. With no slowdown in mass migration we either build more roads or accept ever slower journeys, just on the basis that a bigger population means more cars.

Personally, I would rather drive 500 miles on the continent than 50 miles in the UK where the majority of their roads are far less crowded.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

ckz

• Intermediate Member
  • burton on trent
    • Vauxhall Omega CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 August 2014, 05:03:12 »

Personnal, I prefer the comfort of my own vehicle to any public transport sharing my space with strangers.
Without going into details why.

F@@@ the goverments and there ideas.
It's all about making it difficult for people to enjoy there likes for the sake of some good doer.

Follow the last 10 years about govt saying please do not use, to govt turning it to difficultys to do with laws and other excuses behind our backs to achieve there goal.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.