Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank sensor x20xev  (Read 1073 times)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Crank sensor x20xev
« on: 28 January 2022, 19:54:53 »

One of our Omegas got a bad crank sensor. 1994 x20xev. Paperclipped it and got a code 19. The car is very hard to start and backfires stumbles before it fires up. The problem is i cant seem to find an original crank sensor. Went to Opel and they ordered the only type they had in their system from Germany. The sensor arrived but its the wrong type. The one that Opel says is the only type they can get a hold of is GM 9174621. After doing some research it seems to me that Opel changed the sensor and the engine management around 1996 somtime. I think i need sensor GM 90458251. And that i cant find anywhere. The sensor that now failed is an aftermarket sensor that only lasted 2 years.
Is a Hella sensor my best bet? Hella sensors are available on eBay. And it sounds a bit better than Maxgear and other brands ive never heard of…

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Crank sensor x20xev
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2022, 19:59:10 »

If you can get hold of the same aftermarket sensor that is in it now, I would do that. Even if it only lasts two years, it will get get you back on the road, and in the meantime you can search for an alternative.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2022, 20:23:15 »

Autodoc can usually obtain a genuine Bosch sensor via Germany.

Or try EuroCar Parts.

I found that genuine GM, Bosch produced, sensors have become unavailable. Others on here, like DG, have found an American GM source for the.

So all is not lost! :D ;)

Also read this extensive thread

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=148417.0

;D ;D
« Last Edit: 28 January 2022, 20:25:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2022, 09:36:09 »

Thanks for the replies. The aftermarket sensor thats in it now is available here in Norway for about 215£! Opel charged 150£ for the original that was the wrong type. I have now ordered the Hella variant i found on german eBay for about 20£. This means the girlfriend will have to wait at least another week for her car but i hope that sensor will do the trick. At least we have an Omega 3,0 as a backup vehicle so now i get to drive that for a while as she drives my 2,0.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2022, 09:51:51 »

If it doesn't work, try a Chevrolet dealer :y

That engine was fitted pretty much globally.

The issue is that PSA/Opel aren't interested in supporting GM products beyond their legal obligations whereas GM try to preserve some sort of customer support  :y

And just because one parts manufacturer made the original sensor (Bosch/Hella/Siemens etc), that does not mean that they make the current official version.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2022, 12:59:24 »

One of our Omegas got a bad crank sensor. 1994 x20xev. Paperclipped it and got a code 19. The car is very hard to start and backfires stumbles before it fires up.
Paperclip test throws a 19 code every time if the engine isn't running .
have you checked the CTS ?
a VERY COMMON issue and doesn't throw a code always .

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2022, 04:30:40 »

The sensor is for a four pot petrol so it has Siemens Simtec electronics. There won't be a Bosch original part. The Siemens part is 5WK90541 or 5WK90541Z. Usually the best way to buy a genuine Siemens part for an Opel is via VDO (Continental).

The X20XE engine was also used in Astras and Vectras so with a bit of luck third party sensors are more likely to work as there is a much bigger market. So hopefully the Hella part will be a success.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2022, 12:03:27 »

Fitted to the following GM products:

Buick
Chevrolet
Daewoo
Holden
Oldsmobile
Opel
Pontiac
Saab
Saturn
Vauxhall

Three of those were sold in the UK,

But only Vauxhall wasn't sold in Europe.

If you can't find one, then you aren't looking.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2022, 14:20:18 »

The sensor is for a four pot petrol so it has Siemens Simtec electronics. There won't be a Bosch original part. The Siemens part is 5WK90541 or 5WK90541Z. Usually the best way to buy a genuine Siemens part for an Opel is via VDO (Continental).

The X20XE engine was also used in Astras and Vectras so with a bit of luck third party sensors are more likely to work as there is a much bigger market. So hopefully the Hella part will be a success.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I was only looking at the Opel V6 that the poster had listed, but of course his 4 pot is different :y

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2022, 19:50:44 »

Update: Hella sensor from Germany finally arrived on friday after spending forever in the Norwegian custom. Got around to changing it today. Thought i could try to get at it without removing the big bracket for the power steering and ac. But found it impossible due to this car being Norwegian and having a block heater installed that restricted access even more. So removed the bracket and changed the sensor. Bracket went out and in again without really having to mess with the rest of the engine mount. Eml stayed on for maybe 5-10 seconds after initial startup and then went out. Drove the car 50 km round trip to my mothers place tonight and everything worked fine. Eml now goes out immediately after startup and car runs good. So happy days.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2022, 20:07:32 »

Well done, a good result :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.