Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Estate  (Read 17441 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement Estate
« Reply #105 on: 24 March 2017, 17:38:38 »

Well after some weeks of researching, trying seats in the few petrol newish estate cars available, I am back to the Ford Mondeo as the only car with the boot space that fits the bill for me, and I realise this will cause gnashing of teeth among the Ford haters and badge snobs.
I'm going for the 2.0L ecoBoost estate, Titanium X with £3000 worth of extras in shadow black.

Off you go lads, rant away. ;D :y

Sounds like it's latest shape? I think the new shape Mondeo Estates are great looking cars, especially in TitanmX spec 8)

Is this the modern day replacement for 'Ghia'?

Ghia I think is dropped, used to be around fairly recently but even then it was not much above standard Spec. Titanium X is now top spec.

Where it was Ghia/Ghia X back in the Granada days.

There is one more, Vignale, but I don't think it gets much more for the extra money. Valeting with service and rubbish like that. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 24 March 2017, 17:45:12 »

Don't call it Titx, you're leaving yourself wide open.

I have a lady friend who drive an Audi TT. She hates it when we call it the 'titty' ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 24 March 2017, 17:47:28 »

For info, the car is 7 months old, 4200 miles, £21325, almost exactly 10k under list if you include the price of the options. I would have been happy to pay more for the right vehicle, but the Mercs offered were either all diesel, or mid £30k, so no good to me, and the seats I tried were no better than the Ford, and many of the options were not fitted, presumably too expensive for the original buyers. :y
Entwood may be interested, the car has technology via its tow bar connection to the tin tent, that should the van go into swerve mode, the car automatically takes control to stop it! Not that I will be towing. :y
I tried to see if BMW had anything, one 528i in petrol available in the country on their list, 120 miles, £35k or some such. Everything else is diesel. All the sales staff in all the garages are admitting that all buyers are coming in for petrol cars, the Ford salesman was told by Ford on a recent course that they will not be making diesels in 10 years. I suspect it will be less than that. :y

Being a petrol model means it is worth  £21325 on it's own. Not that I have anything against derv. ::) ::) ::) :)

STEMO

« Reply #108 on: 24 March 2017, 17:59:43 »

Diesel has its place, Opti, and I don't mean in a bus. The economy savings are not to be sniffed at on a daily commute, where there is no need for speed or power. Wifey is getting over 50mpg from her captur 1.5d but was only getting 35 from her 1.6 petrol.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 24 March 2017, 18:27:10 »

For info, the car is 7 months old, 4200 miles, £21325, almost exactly 10k under list if you include the price of the options. I would have been happy to pay more for the right vehicle, but the Mercs offered were either all diesel, or mid £30k, so no good to me, and the seats I tried were no better than the Ford, and many of the options were not fitted, presumably too expensive for the original buyers. :y
Entwood may be interested, the car has technology via its tow bar connection to the tin tent, that should the van go into swerve mode, the car automatically takes control to stop it! Not that I will be towing. :y
I tried to see if BMW had anything, one 528i in petrol available in the country on their list, 120 miles, £35k or some such. Everything else is diesel. All the sales staff in all the garages are admitting that all buyers are coming in for petrol cars, the Ford salesman was told by Ford on a recent course that they will not be making diesels in 10 years. I suspect it will be less than that. :y

Being a petrol model means it is worth  £21325 on it's own. Not that I have anything against derv. ::) ::) ::) :)

How many miles do you do a month?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 24 March 2017, 19:01:54 »

Diesel has its place, Opti, and I don't mean in a bus. The economy savings are not to be sniffed at on a daily commute, where there is no need for speed or power. Wifey is getting over 50mpg from her captur 1.5d but was only getting 35 from her 1.6 petrol.
[/highlight]

I agree with what you say but Mr Shackeng's final paragraph about people moving toward petrol cars is growing, and will have a far bigger impact on running costs.

As derv becomes more undesirable used car prices will fall.

Hand on heart would you buy a brand new diesel powered car? Some people still will but the numbers are shrinking.

STEMO

« Reply #111 on: 24 March 2017, 19:16:16 »

[/highlight]

I agree with what you say but Mr Shackeng's final paragraph about people moving toward petrol cars is growing, and will have a far bigger impact on running costs.

Hand on heart would you buy a brand new diesel powered car? Some people still will but the numbers are shrinking.
Why wouldn't anyone buy a diesel? Nothing drastic has changed, apart from them talking about banning them in big cities. They are still more economical, and that's why people buy them. I hope the arse does fall out of the second hand market, I'll have one.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 24 March 2017, 19:28:49 »

[/highlight]

Why wouldn't anyone buy a diesel? Nothing drastic has changed, apart from them talking about banning them in big cities. They are still more economical, and that's why people buy them. I hope the arse does fall out of the second hand market, I'll have one.

Well, that's you and Tunnie so far. ;) :D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 24 March 2017, 19:34:58 »

I have to say had I been still commuting I may have bought another diesel for economy, but as I do long journeys
 - over 40 miles or so - only once a month if that, and as the writing is on the wall for Derv, petrol was the way to go. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 24 March 2017, 19:35:41 »

[/highlight]

Well, that's you and Tunnie so far. ;) :D

So tax is a key change, no longer are big thirsty petrol's targeted with silly high tax bands.

I'm looking forward to 2022 ish when brand new big engine petrols become good second hand buys, unlike today they won't have the silly £500+ tax price. Back to sensible prices.

But I don't see diesels falling of a cliff in value, second hand they are still desirable. People will still buy them new as well, why would people buy petrol? They are all for the most part small highly strung Turbo's. I mean 1.0 Turbo in Focus or Mondeo?? Turbo replacements won't be limited to diesels.

I do need a petrol for MrsT car, I'm being forced again to look at Zafira Tourer 1.4T as she only does town work 80% of the time.

But for my miles, diesel is still a key choice. If I had the money I'd upgrade my CC to a Jag XJ 3.0d like a shot  :y

STEMO

« Reply #115 on: 24 March 2017, 19:40:29 »

About 50% of captur owners on the forum only do town runs in their diesels. Not one has had a problem with the dpf.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 24 March 2017, 20:11:29 »

If we had a crystal ball the future would be so much easier to predict.

If I'd had a crystal ball in 2014 I'd have put £200,000 on Leicester to win the title. Imagine how they would have laughed at the bookies. :y

STEMO

« Reply #117 on: 24 March 2017, 20:15:03 »

If we had a crystal ball the future would be so much easier to predict.

If I'd had a crystal ball in 2014 I'd have put £200,000 on Leicester to win the title. Imagine how they would have laughed at the bookies. :y
I don't think too much is going to happen in the very near future.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 24 March 2017, 20:38:35 »

But I don't see diesels falling of a cliff in value, second hand they are still desirable.
Look again, its already started.

A year ago, sub £12k XF Portfolio S were being snapped up quickly.  Now I'm seeing the same cars for weeks on end...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 24 March 2017, 21:04:37 »

But I don't see diesels falling of a cliff in value, second hand they are still desirable.
Look again, its already started.

A year ago, sub £12k XF Portfolio S were being snapped up quickly.  Now I'm seeing the same cars for weeks on end...

New XF out...

Besides @ £12k that's first generation prices, not even facelift. So with all new one out for some time, to be expected
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.