Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help!!(ignition barrel strip without key?)  (Read 550 times)

ARCEYE78

• ESSEX
    • View Profile
Please help!!(ignition barrel strip without key?)
« on: 21 July 2009, 22:53:43 »

Im hopeing someone can help,i have removed my ignition barrel of which there is part of a broken key inside :-[,the lock smith cannot remove  :( , also i cannot strip the unit as per textbook because i cannot turn the lock with the key as its in 2 pieces, i have tried but doesn't turn so im now stuck :(,has anyone managed to strip the unit without having to use the key,im thinking of drilling a hole a little lower than the original sprung pin hole as i cannot allign it up without the key and then remove the pin that way?? can it be done as i am now desperate as i have had no luck with breakers although even if i did it would mean changing door lock aswell :( and new...well i think thats out of the question££££££££ :o,i just need to remove the broken bit of key then im laughing, thanks in advance for anyone that can help :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Please help!!(ignition barrel strip without key?)
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2009, 23:18:21 »

If you've removed the barrel, then surely you've done the hard bit. IIRC you need to turn the key in the barrel to get it out of the housing on the column.
How about a picture of where you're up to?
If it comes to A N Other barrel, all the tumblers will come out - the springs are TINY - and transfer them all to your 'new' barrel. I've done similar in the past making locks match.

ARCEYE78

• ESSEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2009, 17:40:15 »

AAH no what i have done is removed the complete ignition unit from the column by chiseling of the sheer bolts so that i could take to locksmith to have the bit removed whilst still being able to use the car but because the barrel wont turn in the ignition hub for me to strip and worse the locksmith cannot remove the small key piece im now stuck as to how im going to strip it as i cannot get to the sprung pin,any idea's :)
If you've removed the barrel, then surely you've done the hard bit. IIRC you need to turn the key in the barrel to get it out of the housing on the column.
How about a picture of where you're up to?
If it comes to A N Other barrel, all the tumblers will come out - the springs are TINY - and transfer them all to your 'new' barrel. I've done similar in the past making locks match.

Abiton

« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2009, 17:48:57 »

Daft though it may sound, have you tried supergluing the back end of the key back onto the broken off bit?

Then, if it sticks, try gently twiddling the key again with it inserted slightly less than fully (a mm or two).  This proved successful at turning ours in the same 'barrel-out-of-car' situation.  I think the endstop may have got bent during attempts to get the thing to turn when it was in-situ.  Quick needlefile on the tumblers, and on the inside of the outer cylinder and all was well.

Failing that, hacksaw/files etc. to destroy the outside of the thing and get at the innards, then transfer the tumblers into a.n. other lock as suggested above.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2009, 18:10:29 »

What Abiton says .... but not the superglue bit!  ;)  :y  :y

ARCEYE78

• ESSEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2009, 20:29:46 »

Mmm now i didn't think of glue to retrieve the broken part  :yalthough superglue on its own may not be up to it but team it up with accelerator and that just might work thanks for that  :y otherwise its time to carefully break it open and try and find a seconhand one,thanks again guys :y
Daft though it may sound, have you tried supergluing the back end of the key back onto the broken off bit?

Then, if it sticks, try gently twiddling the key again with it inserted slightly less than fully (a mm or two).  This proved successful at turning ours in the same 'barrel-out-of-car' situation.  I think the endstop may have got bent during attempts to get the thing to turn when it was in-situ.  Quick needlefile on the tumblers, and on the inside of the outer cylinder and all was well.

Failing that, hacksaw/files etc. to destroy the outside of the thing and get at the innards, then transfer the tumblers into a.n. other lock as suggested above.

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2009, 13:29:09 »

when my key would not turn barrel i carefully broke out the barrel and left the housing in tact its quite soft and got replacement from autovaux
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.