Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Pedders Suspension Bushes for the Omega  (Read 84789 times)

05omegav6

Re: Pedders Suspension Bushes for the Omega
« Reply #555 on: 24 September 2014, 21:42:22 »

Ok, what sort of speed are you carrying? (ish)

Failed diff mount or two, guessing at the right hand one as a starter for ten, given the forces involved :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #556 on: 24 September 2014, 21:49:13 »

So there is enough play (ignoring the friction of the bolt heads on what they bolt against) for it all to move a fair bit? If so, given the massive forces when driven enthusiastically....

The sensation I'm getting is a bit like a flat OSR tyre on sweeping left handers. Not beyond the realms of possibility that I haven't broken another spring - weekend job if I can get the jack from the garage
The sinking feeling "might " be the insert sinking into the body hole. ...."might"

Any loud one off clonks? The type that resonate through the body and you can't pin point where it's come from...? Like somebody has hit the under side somewhere with a plastic mallet?

Ps, the fix is quite easy so it's no biggy. Just a big washer , and the top rubber pad which is a bit fiddly actually.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 25 September 2014, 23:13:41 »

Strange that, mine fitted perfectly and I`ve not had any issues with the rear end being loose apart from my suspected knackered diff mounts. I fitted the top hats and everything torqued up nicely, just went in as they should.

Let's hope, those dif mounts are indeed buggered then :y

Yeah me to lol, but I`ve no reason to suspect the poly donuts being at fault, I had k-mac on the Senator and it tightened the rear end up nicely and they`re the same as the pedders bushes. I never liked the idea of a 14mm hole for a 12mm bolt but on the Senator it was necessary for tweaking the sub frame as it only had a single diff mount and it had slotted bolt holes for that reason but with the Omega having two diff mounts there's less scope for  moving the subframe.
I wonder if it would help removing the springs and lining the holes up and then torquing everything up before refitting the springs.
The only thing I can say for certain is it was more wayward before I fitted the poly`s but I also have oil misting on the OSR damper just to compound matters  :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #558 on: 26 September 2014, 14:39:57 »

Subframe needs to be off centre for the metal insert/bushing to be clear of the hole for the captive nut. The more it lines up, the more chance the inset can disapear into the hole. Afaict.

Mine seems to have been nearer the hole on fitting, so the insert had less body to clamp up on when tightened. Add a bit if side load and it's slipped, causing a clonk as I did so. With less severe knocks and noises since then.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 27 September 2014, 17:57:31 »

Took for a blat earlier, and I think it's coming from the front weirdly. At speed it's like an intermittent tramline but only in corners. Wonder if idler failed, t'was lemforder (or was that TBE, can't remember)

Sigh, get the jack back out
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 27 September 2014, 18:14:25 »

Took for a blat earlier, and I think it's coming from the front weirdly. At speed it's like an intermittent tramline but only in corners. Wonder if idler failed, t'was lemforder (or was that TBE, can't remember)

Symptoms sound exactly like my failed rear front wishbone bush did, TBH.

Something "shifts" as you load up the suspension in a turn, feels exactly like the early onset of oversteer, but you can pile on more lock and the back end stays planted?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #561 on: 27 September 2014, 18:29:11 »

If you can't feel the initial pull on the sterring wheel then it's at the rear. BUT you need to be able to distinguish the pull from the correction you dial in to correct it.

If it's rear your correcting with out pulling.

If it's front you get the pull on the sterring wheel first.

.....if that's not too obvious a statement? :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #562 on: 27 September 2014, 18:41:54 »

Symptoms sound exactly like my failed rear front wishbone bush did, TBH.

Something "shifts" as you load up the suspension in a turn, feels exactly like the early onset of oversteer, but you can pile on more lock and the back end stays planted?
Mk2 front vertical polys did that on mine when seriously pressing on through the twisties :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 27 September 2014, 19:23:54 »

If you can't feel the initial pull on the sterring wheel then it's at the rear. BUT you need to be able to distinguish the pull from the correction you dial in to correct it.

If it's rear your correcting with out pulling.

If it's front you get the pull on the sterring wheel first.

.....if that's not too obvious a statement? :-\

There was no pull on the steering when mine failed, just the "oversteering" sensation.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 27 September 2014, 20:27:12 »

Hmmm, I think I may have found the problem, rather worryingly. That's another post though.

On the upside, the idler is OK ;D

Kevin Wood - I was wondering if it could be the vertical ones, as I have had that sensation before. Its probably time, they've been in a year. But I'll attack the obvious faults first :)
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #565 on: 27 September 2014, 20:32:21 »

Not clown tyres, AGAIN ? ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #566 on: 27 September 2014, 20:34:19 »

Cracked chassis rail... :-\

chrisgixer

05omegav6

« Reply #568 on: 27 September 2014, 23:18:18 »

I meant cracked ::)

Given TBs propensity for overdriving £150+ tyres, it's not unreasonable that the car is actually broken...

Also typed before a description of the discovery mentioned was posted elsewhere  ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #569 on: 27 September 2014, 23:23:26 »

I meant cracked ::)

Given TBs propensity for overdriving £150+ tyres, it's not unreasonable that the car is actually broken...

Also typed before a description of the discovery mentioned was posted elsewhere  ::)

Nah. You haven't been in TB's wheel housing. I have. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.