Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam cover & trunking modifications  (Read 1647 times)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Cam cover & trunking modifications
« on: 14 October 2020, 18:18:08 »

I thought this may be of interest to some, either to frown or smile about.

The thinking behind the idea is for easy inspection and monitoring of potential leaking gaskets (or ingress of water) into the plug wells. The usual signs of gasket failure result in oil seeping down the front of the engine (behind the cam cover backplate), sometimes misdiagnosed as a leaking oil pressure switch, because let's face it, we don't or sometimes can't get to the plug leads / caps easily to pull a plug and have a look.... then of course it's too late before the messy business starts. Also on the rare occasion that the cam cover gaskets require replacement, this modification doesn't require multiple gasket changes - just exhaust or inlet covers as required.

There's also the issue of access, hereby addressed by removal of the plastic trunking, with all wiring grouped together and easily shifted a few inches either way for even better viewing. Two vacuum pipes have been re-routed on the 135 side of the engine to reduce congestion on the 246 side.

It goes without saying that it may not be such an easy modification on DBW engines, but for the 2.5 / 3.0 - I consider weekly engine bay checks to be a breeze compared to previously.

Some comparison pics between an unmodified engine and one modified, as well as pics of the separation process.

As original 246 side.

Modified 246 side.

As original 135 side.

Modified 135 side.

Note to avoid any confusion - one (original is a CDX with cruise control) and other (modified is a CD without cruise).

« Last Edit: 14 October 2020, 18:22:39 by Tick Tock »
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Cam cover & trunking modifications
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2020, 18:34:35 »

Interesting modification.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2020, 18:40:31 »

I think you're making mountains out of molehills, and are still not addressing the 'fault'. Which is that the gasket is too thin, and the clamping action too far away from it on a not adequately rigid cover - the cover bolts should be on the fitting flange and go through the gasket, as on thousands of other designs.

If properly fitted and maintained, the cam covers won't leak suddenly or catastrophically. I do agree that the engine wiring loom could should have been sited better, but it's a niggle rather than a problem. There are far worse things to work on, as anyone who has changed the plugs(let alone the equally leaky cam covers) on a Subaru will confirm....

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2020, 18:51:26 »

I think you're making mountains out of molehills, and are still not addressing the 'fault'.

I've owned and maintained Omegas for many years, so I'm familiar with the problems that the V6 engine has. I have great respect for your knowledge of things automotive Nick, and your response came as no surprise to me. Just pulling ONE plug lead doesn't give you any indication as to what's going on under those covers. This modification allows easy inspection of everything between the inlet and exhaust banks, so that can't be a bad thing surely.

The expansion differential between plastic and aluminium is perhaps something also worth considering.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2020, 18:53:16 by Tick Tock »
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2020, 18:58:59 »

Imo, if it allows easier access and inspection, while not presenting any new problems due to the modification, then its no bad thing.  :y
The one mod I would really like to do, is extend and reroute that bloody n/s wiring loom. A 5 year old could have designed that better.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2020, 19:12:54 »

Imo, if it allows easier access and inspection, while not presenting any new problems due to the modification, then its no bad thing.  :y
The one mod I would really like to do, is extend and reroute that bloody n/s wiring loom. A 5 year old could have designed that better.

It only needed to be clipped to the under side of the plenum, a moving it up and in by about 10mm. Which would have been obvious to any designer/engineer who had ever done any mechanical work
« Last Edit: 14 October 2020, 19:14:38 by Nick W »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2020, 19:29:22 »

Another half inch of wire would have made a huge difference to serviceability ::)

Obviously that was a non starter as it would have cost about 10p on every one built ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2020, 19:33:27 »

Another half inch of wire would have made a huge difference to serviceability ::)

Obviously that was a non starter as it would have cost about 10p on every one built ;D

There are places they could have saved more than that....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2020, 19:44:18 »

Like the rust proofing :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2020, 20:28:12 »

I think 10 Pence was the total budget for rust proofing  :-X

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2020, 20:53:43 »

I think 10 Pence was the total budget for rust proofing  :-X

In fairness they have survived better than the Carlton and Senator did at the same age. But any car that's hit 20 Years is well on it's rust journey.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2020, 16:32:29 »

The issue is you have lost some of the weather proofing which the seal from the plug lead to the cam cover offers  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.