Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Number plates  (Read 5345 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Number plates
« on: 28 October 2020, 17:58:14 »

It seems to be becoming popular to fit what I can only describe as smoked number plates.I've seen a few cars round here are now sporting them but for some odd reason they seem to be either fitted to the front or rear not both ends on the same car.Presumably illegal as you can't read them from the required distance are they supposed to be anti-camera plates or just the latest chavvy fashion item?

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Number plates
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2020, 18:25:27 »

Lots of them round here too.
Diesel till I die

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2020, 18:54:39 »

Welcome back :y :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2020, 18:56:13 »

Cheers, mate. I'll ask one of the local street rats about the plates when I've finished my sentence.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2020, 19:37:09 »

Cheers, mate. I'll ask one of the local street rats about the plates when I've finished my sentence.

Not dead then..... :-\ ::) ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2020, 19:42:14 »

Oh ffs, he,s back !  :o ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2020, 19:43:37 »

Not dead then..... :-\ ::) ;)
Apparently not, you'll be overjoyed to hear  :)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2020, 20:31:17 »

He has missed you really  :-*
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2020, 21:15:26 »

I assume his life has lacked any meaning without me there to brighten his day.

The old boy is lost without me. :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2020, 21:20:09 »

I assume his life has lacked any meaning without me there to brighten his day.

The old boy is lost without me. :)
It does brighten my day when the tax on both of your cars are due and you have to part with over a grand.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2020, 21:32:36 »

Welcome back Ste  8)

Re. The numberplates, as far as I can work out, stupid people think they make you invisible to speed cameras.

Whereas in reality a) they don't and b) you are guaranteed to get a tug from any and all coppers who see the plate because it's a guaranteed win for Her Madge's coffers, and that's before they look over the rest of the car.

In a similar vein, people who incorrectly space private plates to nearly spell words or their name. ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2020, 21:53:57 »

Welcome back Ste  8)

Re. The numberplates, as far as I can work out, stupid people think they make you invisible to speed cameras.

Whereas in reality a) they don't and b) you are guaranteed to get a tug from any and all coppers who see the plate because it's a guaranteed win for Her Madge's coffers, and that's before they look over the rest of the car.

In a similar vein, people who incorrectly space private plates to nearly spell words or their name. ::)
Thanks, Jimmy. Incorrectly spaced plates are becoming quite the norm around here, as are the darkened plates. As far as I can see, only a traffic cop would bother pulling anyone for the 'offence', and I really can't remember the last time I actually saw one. Local plod are not interested at all, and the few of them I see driving around seem to totally ignore minor transgressions.
Bigger fish to fry in today's world, I'm afraid.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2020, 22:11:26 »

Probably fair.

A guy I work with got a £60 wonder going through a mobile speed trap. He was under the limit, but they picked up on his illegally spaced plate.

Guess that's just the risk you run  :D

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2020, 11:42:58 »

FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2020, 19:50:36 »

Around these parts it is often big four wheel drive, Chelsea tractors, that have “personalised” plates, but not the legal versions. They spell names are make some form of statement, and act as though no driving law applies to them judging how they bully other drivers >:(

There is though a Bentley parked a street up from me with the plates RU SILLY, using of course an illegal version and spacing of “5”.  But no local police officer will deal with it as it is a “Traffic Police” matter! ::) ::)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2020, 20:01:27 »

Around these parts it is often big four wheel drive, Chelsea tractors, that have “personalised” plates, but not the legal versions. They spell names are make some form of statement, and act as though no driving law applies to them judging how they bully other drivers >:(

There is though a Bentley parked a street up from me with the plates RU SILLY, using of course an illegal version and spacing of “5”.  But no local police officer will deal with it as it is a “Traffic Police” matter! ::) ::)

The correct index, is RU51 LLY. Showing as a Bentley on the publicly available MOT history on DVLA :) - as it happens, it ran out of MOT earlier this month.

I don't usually talk about my job much, but, as an aside, I think some credit is due to the "local" police officers that are not dealing with it. I feel qualified to say that, after 9 years doing the job full time, in various capacities, including mainly Response, Neighborhood, Traffic, and CID.

The "local officers" are spanked. Run ragged. They are constantly dealing with domestic abuse, violence, drugs, thefts, burglaries, robberies, serious assaults.... usually on VERY depleted numbers. Then, of course, there are the officers constantly looking for missing people, attending mental health episodes... doing the lengthy referrals generated from this, etc.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, but it's the world we live in. An illegally spaced, but otherwise legible numberplate, is low the pile for policing... and dare I say, in the current climate, understandably :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2020, 20:14:25 »

Driving a 19 year old Bentley, they probably have bigger concerns than the number plate ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2020, 20:24:42 »

DVLA are as guilty as anyone regarding name spelling number plates, as they SELL them. A few years back a work colleague showed me a letter from DVLA. They were offering him the chance of buying a number plate that spelt his surname ............ if you used a black bolt at the bottom of the two consecutive one's to make a 'U' and closed the gap a bit between the centre gap. They obviously didn't mention the black bolt but it was the only way it spelt his surname.  ::)
So, in my view they actively encourage it as there is money in it for them.  :)  They certainly wouldn't give a monkeys if you got fined as they didn't outright suggest what to do.   :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2020, 14:51:17 »

The correct index, is RU51 LLY. Showing as a Bentley on the publicly available MOT history on DVLA :) - as it happens, it ran out of MOT earlier this month.

I don't usually talk about my job much, but, as an aside, I think some credit is due to the "local" police officers that are not dealing with it. I feel qualified to say that, after 9 years doing the job full time, in various capacities, including mainly Response, Neighborhood, Traffic, and CID.

The "local officers" are spanked. Run ragged. They are constantly dealing with domestic abuse, violence, drugs, thefts, burglaries, robberies, serious assaults.... usually on VERY depleted numbers. Then, of course, there are the officers constantly looking for missing people, attending mental health episodes... doing the lengthy referrals generated from this, etc.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, but it's the world we live in. An illegally spaced, but otherwise legible numberplate, is low the pile for policing... and dare I say, in the current climate, understandably :y

The strange thing is James, because of my contacts with the police when the Bentley first appeared on the estate, parked up on a grass verge, I reported it as maybe a stolen car as it did not move for 4 weeks and a Bentley parked around here  is VERY unusual.  The police checked it out and then it started to be driven around as though everything was ok,  but that number plate in it's current form was not apparently faulted by the officers.  Which proves the point that I understand only too well, that I touched on, and you echo, that neighbour officers have much to deal with.  It is a Traffic matter, pure and simple as far as the officers are concerned.

The point is that although the law is clear on number plates, spacing, colour, layout, fonts, etc, many vehicles are driving around blatantly in breach of the regulations.  I just wonder what happens at the MOT; are plates swapped over to the legal versions or does the MOT tester turn a blind eye?

Perhaps this Bentley has failed it's MOT because of this number plate and therefore is not currently legal? ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2020, 14:55:15 »

Perhaps you have too much time on your hands...  :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2020, 14:56:54 »

Driving a 19 year old Bentley, they probably have bigger concerns than the number plate ::)

The Bentley is just 8 years old and is in great condition externally.

You have made the common mistake of dating a vehicle incorrectly based on a "personalised plate" obtained / came with vehicle. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2020, 14:58:05 »

Perhaps you have too much time on your hands...  :-\

Judging by how many posts you make I reckon it is YOU who has too much time on their hands! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2020, 15:17:08 »

I work shifts :P

Unless it's been dumped across your front door, or is being driven around the area by spotted yoofs throwing McDongals wrappers out of the windows, then it probably isn't your concern. Especially if you keep making a fuss about it, as you stand a fair chance of becoming that person...

The community support wombles might have something to say, but unless the car is actually caught in the act of doing something, then there's not much to do. As an aside, if the tax is over a month overdue, then the DVLA might pretend to be interested.

Unfortunately whilst everyone is being scared into staying indoors for no apparent reason, you have more chance of being given a new Bentley of your own than anything actually being done.

Not saying that it's right, but it is a sign of the times :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2020, 15:22:54 »

Incidentally, it's taxed until next October, so it's unlikely to attract much unwanted attention.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2020, 15:50:14 »

Nothing special now a Bentley or a Rolls cheap luxury motoring as long as you avoid main dealerships.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2020, 16:15:12 »

Probably fair.

A guy I work with got a £60 wonder going through a mobile speed trap. He was under the limit, but they picked up on his illegally spaced plate.

Guess that's just the risk you run  :D

You see, that I don't understand.
The reason for enforcing the correct font and spacing is so that cameras can read them? Therefore camera technology is so good, it knows when it shouldn't be able to read it, but can.
Therefore knowing the font is wrong but knowing that the camera can recognise it, should that actually be an offence.

Says the man who would stop and search anyone with stupid number plates, if I were paid to. 

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2020, 16:29:45 »

I expect the incorrectly spaced and illegal font pictures get rejected by the system or at least flagged  :-\
then a human looks at the photos and decides how much money they are worth  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2020, 16:32:52 »

The camera can read them in the pissing rain in the dark ;D

The regimented uniformity is to make them easier for a person to read ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2020, 17:40:57 »

Unless it's been dumped across your front door, or is being driven around the area by spotted yoofs throwing McDongals wrappers out of the windows, then it probably isn't your concern. Especially if you keep making a fuss about it, as you stand a fair chance of becoming that person...

The community support wombles might have something to say, but unless the car is actually caught in the act of doing something, then there's not much to do. As an aside, if the tax is over a month overdue, then the DVLA might pretend to be interested.

Unfortunately whilst everyone is being scared into staying indoors for no apparent reason, you have more chance of being given a new Bentley of your own than anything actually being done.

No, once I had reported it as possibly dumped I left the rest to the police, and I was done with it. as you are right about people who hammer on about the same challenge to the police over and over again.:)

However, I am one who cares about the local community, being a police advisor on such issues, and only over the last three weeks I have successfully reported fly tipping (a very real problem in Kent if nowhere else!) with the individuals involved fined by the local council.

Other issues I am also dealing with because, unlike so many out there in our so called "society", I do not look the other way.  Anything that spoils the environment for the general public has got to be tackled and if no one bothers to report it nothing will change.

Yes, I have time on my hands now so give that to the police and local community when I can and the former in particular requires my advice / guidance / feedback.

That and my community work which uses my professional skills and talents stops me falling asleep in my chair and becoming very old very quickly!!  When I cannot do what I do now please someone shoot me!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2020, 18:11:27 »

No, once I had reported it as possibly dumped I left the rest to the police, and I was done with it. as you are right about people who hammer on about the same challenge to the police over and over again.:)

However, I am one who cares about the local community, being a police advisor on such issues, and only over the last three weeks I have successfully reported fly tipping (a very real problem in Kent if nowhere else!) with the individuals involved fined by the local council.

Other issues I am also dealing with because, unlike so many out there in our so called "society", I do not look the other way.  Anything that spoils the environment for the general public has got to be tackled and if no one bothers to report it nothing will change.

Yes, I have time on my hands now so give that to the police and local community when I can and the former in particular requires my advice / guidance / feedback.

That and my community work which uses my professional skills and talents stops me falling asleep in my chair and becoming very old very quickly!!  When I cannot do what I do now please someone shoot me!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Good on you Lizzie I too have reported flytippers who were caught & this morning was able to assist our local coppers with some hare coursers who thought that their old Suzuki would get over the fields near me no match for the Range Rover..😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2020, 20:24:14 »

Good on you Lizzie I too have reported flytippers who were caught & this morning was able to assist our local coppers with some hare coursers who thought that their old Suzuki would get over the fields near me no match for the Range Rover..😄

Well done to you as well Rangie :y :y :y

Someone has to stand up for what is right ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2020, 22:24:44 »

Don't the Police and other law enforcement authorities rely enormously on information or intelligence passed to them by members of the public?
If every law abiding member of the public / community felt reporting incidents  'isn't their concern', then the authorities job would become exceptionally harder than it already is. Reporting these matters brings small incidents to their notice; an incident that get continually reported should eventually get some action, even if nothing appears to be done as a result of the initial report. 
You should never under estimate the value of reported incidents - how many serious crimes /  incidents have eventually brought the perpetrators to justice with a small shred of information / intelligence that many would have thought was insignificant at the time? Looking the other way or having the mind set that 'it's not my concern' is burying your head in the sand - especially if it affects your own community.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2020, 23:31:51 »

Don't disagree with that...

My comments were made knowing that Lizzie lives in a mixed housing area and comes across as quite a 'busy' older person who could potentially become a target to those ne'erdowells who might not respond to kindly to being caught out.

Not to say that she, or Rangie aren't absolutely right, but inviting retaliation needs to be a carefully calculated risk ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2020, 08:17:02 »

Its a 2012 Continental GT
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 October 2020, 10:38:50 »

Its a 2012 Continental GT

Hmmm an 8 year old Bentley Continental GT with dodgy number plates and no MOT that gets parked up on grass verges in an area where such cars are unusual should attract the attention of the boys in blue IMO.  ::)

I wonder what's in the boot?  Bags of Columbian marching powder?  A dead body? Bank robbing paraphernalia?  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 October 2020, 13:34:26 »

Don't the Police and other law enforcement authorities rely enormously on information or intelligence passed to them by members of the public?
If every law abiding member of the public / community felt reporting incidents  'isn't their concern', then the authorities job would become exceptionally harder than it already is. Reporting these matters brings small incidents to their notice; an incident that get continually reported should eventually get some action, even if nothing appears to be done as a result of the initial report. 
You should never under estimate the value of reported incidents - how many serious crimes /  incidents have eventually brought the perpetrators to justice with a small shred of information / intelligence that many would have thought was insignificant at the time? Looking the other way or having the mind set that 'it's not my concern' is burying your head in the sand - especially if it affects your own community.

Exactly right! :y :y :y :y

I KNOW Kent Police at least, but really all Police Forces,  rely very much on "intelligence" and the public informing them of actual crimes taking place and the possibility of those in the process of taking place, let alone information after a crime has been committed.

Although I am an official advisor for Kent Police with a badge to match, every member of the public has a duty to report anything of concern, no matter how small and incidental it may seem, if there is a possible breach of the law or simply suspicious activity.

That is the only way that our society can be served and protected.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 October 2020, 13:43:35 »

Don't disagree with that...

My comments were made knowing that Lizzie lives in a mixed housing area and comes across as quite a 'busy' older person who could potentially become a target to those ne'erdowells who might not respond to kindly to being caught out.

Not to say that she, or Rangie aren't absolutely right, but inviting retaliation needs to be a carefully calculated risk ;)

Thanks DG, that is appreciated, as it is a very thoughtful statement that could be very true if I got "careless" :y :y :y

But everything I do is in conjunction with my duties for Kent Police. However I am no fool, so would not get in the crossfire of serious criminals now (although I did in my professional life) and just leave that to the officers in blue once I have fed in any intelligence I have.  Round here though thankfully, like in so many quarters, it is usually just low level crime.  Some of the big stuff I actually witness is via expensive cars (hence my interest in the Bentley) with A class drug dealers involved, but once again I do no more than make phone calls IF I have the evidence for police action.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2020, 13:45:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 October 2020, 14:01:00 »

What if the "baddies" google the reg of the bentley , find this thread, work out who you are  :o
they will read your other posts, find you own an omega  ::)

best drop the Omega round to me to look after Lizzie  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 October 2020, 14:05:55 »

What if the "baddies" google the reg of the bentley , find this thread, work out who you are  :o

;D ;D ;D ;D  No chance Dave! ;D ;D :-* ;)

Don't worry either, no serious drug dealer would drive around in an un-MOT'd Bentley and not pay to have it made legal for the road ;)
« Last Edit: 31 October 2020, 14:08:19 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 October 2020, 14:50:44 »

Don't worry either, no serious drug dealer would drive around in an un-MOT'd Bentley and not pay to have it made legal for the road ;)
Most of the numpties who transport class A for a living drive a wreck which is ripe for a tug, speed everywhere or don't wear a seatbelt. I would drive a euro shitbox hybrid or the like and obey the rules of the road. Least you can do when you have folk relying on you delivering efficiently and on time.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 October 2020, 15:00:56 »

I could take you the tale of one major drug kingpin who got caught because his couriers car was uninsured and got a tug on the M4 Police suspicion was aroused because the driver began sweating profusely, once searched loads of class A on board , the driver sung like a bird to save his neck, the car was a new BMW. These idiots have no common sense at all.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2020, 15:03:20 by Rangie »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 October 2020, 15:01:34 »

Most of the numpties who transport class A for a living drive a wreck which is ripe for a tug, speed everywhere or don't wear a seatbelt. I would drive a euro shitbox hybrid or the like and obey the rules of the road. Least you can do when you have folk relying on you delivering efficiently and on time.

is this your new business plan Uncle Stemo  :-\
you could probably get a big fat grant off Rishi Sunak for that ,plus a free electric car  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 October 2020, 15:08:25 »

Or something anonymous like an Astra estate  :D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 October 2020, 15:22:07 »

Don't you believe it I've seen enough drug dealers photographs on their prison cell walls, theyv live on a rough council estate with a Ferrari parked outside & wonder how they got caught idiots the majority of them.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31 October 2020, 15:33:32 »

Don't you believe it I've seen enough drug dealers photographs on their prison cell walls, theyv live on a rough council estate with a Ferrari parked outside & wonder how they got caught idiots the majority of them.

Yes indeed, and they actually post pictures of themselves on social media with the highly expensive cars and "loads of money" :o :o :o :o

Thank God most of them are so stupid and give the police the heads up ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 31 October 2020, 15:39:33 »

I meant Stemo ::)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31 October 2020, 21:23:22 »

;D ;D
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 November 2020, 10:13:33 »

I just wonder what happens at the MOT; are plates swapped over to the legal versions or does the MOT tester turn a blind eye?
Postal MOTs not common round your way?
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 November 2020, 12:51:16 »

I just wonder what happens at the MOT; are plates swapped over to the legal versions or does the MOT tester turn a blind eye?

What TB?  You are joking.........aren’t you?

Mind you with the right money, the contacts and no morals then I suppose anything is possible! ::) ::) ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 November 2020, 13:14:18 »

What TB?  You are joking.........aren’t you?

Mind you with the right money, the contacts and no morals then I suppose anything is possible! ::) ::) ;)
Stop playing the innocent ;D

A postal MOT is usually much cheaper, so is far more rife in populations in less affluent areas.  And thats before you consider any repairs.  Its the modern day equivalent of driving without an MOT, which is more difficult with the change from having traffic plod in cars towards mobile cash machines.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 November 2020, 13:51:29 »

Postal MOTs are much harder now that the test is 'recorded' in real time.

A guaranteed pass is the modern equivalent :y    No, that  :y  should be a :-X

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 November 2020, 16:21:18 »

That’s how I understand it, the “dodgy” MOT is produced by a quick bung of cash, a wink and a look the other way by the tester whilst apparently doing his job.

Although my MOT,s have always been above board, how my 1960 A40 ever passed it’s MOT twice in 1970 then71 I will never know as the tester used his hammer to test the chassis but somehow never saw the rampant rust! :o :o

A MOT tester down here was done recently for multiple accounts of giving out passes that should have been fails. They are still tracking down the vehicles involved.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 November 2020, 16:41:53 »

Seems to have made little difference....   ...apart from they all seem to be over lunchtime or tea break time ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.