Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Number plates  (Read 5338 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Number plates
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2020, 20:01:27 »

Around these parts it is often big four wheel drive, Chelsea tractors, that have “personalised” plates, but not the legal versions. They spell names are make some form of statement, and act as though no driving law applies to them judging how they bully other drivers >:(

There is though a Bentley parked a street up from me with the plates RU SILLY, using of course an illegal version and spacing of “5”.  But no local police officer will deal with it as it is a “Traffic Police” matter! ::) ::)

The correct index, is RU51 LLY. Showing as a Bentley on the publicly available MOT history on DVLA :) - as it happens, it ran out of MOT earlier this month.

I don't usually talk about my job much, but, as an aside, I think some credit is due to the "local" police officers that are not dealing with it. I feel qualified to say that, after 9 years doing the job full time, in various capacities, including mainly Response, Neighborhood, Traffic, and CID.

The "local officers" are spanked. Run ragged. They are constantly dealing with domestic abuse, violence, drugs, thefts, burglaries, robberies, serious assaults.... usually on VERY depleted numbers. Then, of course, there are the officers constantly looking for missing people, attending mental health episodes... doing the lengthy referrals generated from this, etc.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, but it's the world we live in. An illegally spaced, but otherwise legible numberplate, is low the pile for policing... and dare I say, in the current climate, understandably :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2020, 20:14:25 »

Driving a 19 year old Bentley, they probably have bigger concerns than the number plate ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2020, 20:24:42 »

There is though a Bentley parked a street up from me with the plates RU SILLY, using of course an illegal version and spacing of “5”.  But no local police officer will deal with it as it is a “Traffic Police” matter! ::) ::)

DVLA are as guilty as anyone regarding name spelling number plates, as they SELL them. A few years back a work colleague showed me a letter from DVLA. They were offering him the chance of buying a number plate that spelt his surname ............ if you used a black bolt at the bottom of the two consecutive one's to make a 'U' and closed the gap a bit between the centre gap. They obviously didn't mention the black bolt but it was the only way it spelt his surname.  ::)
So, in my view they actively encourage it as there is money in it for them.  :)  They certainly wouldn't give a monkeys if you got fined as they didn't outright suggest what to do.   :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2020, 14:51:17 »

Around these parts it is often big four wheel drive, Chelsea tractors, that have “personalised” plates, but not the legal versions. They spell names are make some form of statement, and act as though no driving law applies to them judging how they bully other drivers >:(

The correct index, is RU51 LLY. Showing as a Bentley on the publicly available MOT history on DVLA :) - as it happens, it ran out of MOT earlier this month.

I don't usually talk about my job much, but, as an aside, I think some credit is due to the "local" police officers that are not dealing with it. I feel qualified to say that, after 9 years doing the job full time, in various capacities, including mainly Response, Neighborhood, Traffic, and CID.

The "local officers" are spanked. Run ragged. They are constantly dealing with domestic abuse, violence, drugs, thefts, burglaries, robberies, serious assaults.... usually on VERY depleted numbers. Then, of course, there are the officers constantly looking for missing people, attending mental health episodes... doing the lengthy referrals generated from this, etc.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, but it's the world we live in. An illegally spaced, but otherwise legible numberplate, is low the pile for policing... and dare I say, in the current climate, understandably :y

The strange thing is James, because of my contacts with the police when the Bentley first appeared on the estate, parked up on a grass verge, I reported it as maybe a stolen car as it did not move for 4 weeks and a Bentley parked around here  is VERY unusual.  The police checked it out and then it started to be driven around as though everything was ok,  but that number plate in it's current form was not apparently faulted by the officers.  Which proves the point that I understand only too well, that I touched on, and you echo, that neighbour officers have much to deal with.  It is a Traffic matter, pure and simple as far as the officers are concerned.

The point is that although the law is clear on number plates, spacing, colour, layout, fonts, etc, many vehicles are driving around blatantly in breach of the regulations.  I just wonder what happens at the MOT; are plates swapped over to the legal versions or does the MOT tester turn a blind eye?

Perhaps this Bentley has failed it's MOT because of this number plate and therefore is not currently legal? ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2020, 14:55:15 »

Perhaps you have too much time on your hands...  :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2020, 14:56:54 »

Driving a 19 year old Bentley, they probably have bigger concerns than the number plate ::)

The Bentley is just 8 years old and is in great condition externally.

You have made the common mistake of dating a vehicle incorrectly based on a "personalised plate" obtained / came with vehicle. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2020, 14:58:05 »

Perhaps you have too much time on your hands...  :-\

Judging by how many posts you make I reckon it is YOU who has too much time on their hands! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2020, 15:17:08 »

I work shifts :P

Unless it's been dumped across your front door, or is being driven around the area by spotted yoofs throwing McDongals wrappers out of the windows, then it probably isn't your concern. Especially if you keep making a fuss about it, as you stand a fair chance of becoming that person...

The community support wombles might have something to say, but unless the car is actually caught in the act of doing something, then there's not much to do. As an aside, if the tax is over a month overdue, then the DVLA might pretend to be interested.

Unfortunately whilst everyone is being scared into staying indoors for no apparent reason, you have more chance of being given a new Bentley of your own than anything actually being done.

Not saying that it's right, but it is a sign of the times :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2020, 15:22:54 »

Incidentally, it's taxed until next October, so it's unlikely to attract much unwanted attention.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2020, 15:50:14 »

Nothing special now a Bentley or a Rolls cheap luxury motoring as long as you avoid main dealerships.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2020, 16:15:12 »

Probably fair.

A guy I work with got a £60 wonder going through a mobile speed trap. He was under the limit, but they picked up on his illegally spaced plate.

Guess that's just the risk you run  :D

You see, that I don't understand.
The reason for enforcing the correct font and spacing is so that cameras can read them? Therefore camera technology is so good, it knows when it shouldn't be able to read it, but can.
Therefore knowing the font is wrong but knowing that the camera can recognise it, should that actually be an offence.

Says the man who would stop and search anyone with stupid number plates, if I were paid to. 

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2020, 16:29:45 »

I expect the incorrectly spaced and illegal font pictures get rejected by the system or at least flagged  :-\
then a human looks at the photos and decides how much money they are worth  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2020, 16:32:52 »

The camera can read them in the pissing rain in the dark ;D

The regimented uniformity is to make them easier for a person to read ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2020, 17:40:57 »

Unless it's been dumped across your front door, or is being driven around the area by spotted yoofs throwing McDongals wrappers out of the windows, then it probably isn't your concern. Especially if you keep making a fuss about it, as you stand a fair chance of becoming that person...

The community support wombles might have something to say, but unless the car is actually caught in the act of doing something, then there's not much to do. As an aside, if the tax is over a month overdue, then the DVLA might pretend to be interested.

Unfortunately whilst everyone is being scared into staying indoors for no apparent reason, you have more chance of being given a new Bentley of your own than anything actually being done.

No, once I had reported it as possibly dumped I left the rest to the police, and I was done with it. as you are right about people who hammer on about the same challenge to the police over and over again.:)

However, I am one who cares about the local community, being a police advisor on such issues, and only over the last three weeks I have successfully reported fly tipping (a very real problem in Kent if nowhere else!) with the individuals involved fined by the local council.

Other issues I am also dealing with because, unlike so many out there in our so called "society", I do not look the other way.  Anything that spoils the environment for the general public has got to be tackled and if no one bothers to report it nothing will change.

Yes, I have time on my hands now so give that to the police and local community when I can and the former in particular requires my advice / guidance / feedback.

That and my community work which uses my professional skills and talents stops me falling asleep in my chair and becoming very old very quickly!!  When I cannot do what I do now please someone shoot me!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2020, 18:11:27 »

No, once I had reported it as possibly dumped I left the rest to the police, and I was done with it. as you are right about people who hammer on about the same challenge to the police over and over again.:)

However, I am one who cares about the local community, being a police advisor on such issues, and only over the last three weeks I have successfully reported fly tipping (a very real problem in Kent if nowhere else!) with the individuals involved fined by the local council.

Other issues I am also dealing with because, unlike so many out there in our so called "society", I do not look the other way.  Anything that spoils the environment for the general public has got to be tackled and if no one bothers to report it nothing will change.

Yes, I have time on my hands now so give that to the police and local community when I can and the former in particular requires my advice / guidance / feedback.

That and my community work which uses my professional skills and talents stops me falling asleep in my chair and becoming very old very quickly!!  When I cannot do what I do now please someone shoot me!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Good on you Lizzie I too have reported flytippers who were caught & this morning was able to assist our local coppers with some hare coursers who thought that their old Suzuki would get over the fields near me no match for the Range Rover..😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.