Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery charging  (Read 1621 times)

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
Battery charging
« on: 06 January 2009, 14:27:32 »

I think I will give the battery a charge soon, the car doesn't get used during the week so battery must need a top up.
It's been said on here that disconnecting the battery is the best thing to do when charging.....question is when I reconnect the battery will the radio ask for it's code again or for that matter will anything else want resetting.
It's a facelift TD

Mick

benbrunt

• Intermediate Member
  • Oldham
    • View Profile
Re: Battery charging
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2009, 14:52:14 »

The radio will likely need a code, unless the previous owner has switched off code protection.

Depending on your ecu it may forget its settings and run rough for a while when the battery is reconnected.

Probably best to leave it on the car when it's recharged to be honest :y
<marquee>[img name=signat_img_resize]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/3130811192_b672fbed66_m.jpg[/img]

Gas Guzzler, I love the stuff!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2009, 15:31:55 »

If it's only being charged at a low rate there's no problem at all with leaving the car connected IMO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2009, 15:44:29 »

I must confess that if you are just topping it up, I would have left it connected also, and would only have removed it if it was completely flat.

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate &quot;Chipped&quot; not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2009, 16:22:09 »

I must confess that if you are just topping it up, I would have left it connected also, and would only have removed it if it was completely flat.

:-/

Yep that's what I intend to do just give it a top up.
Already had a battery die on me this week, on the other car (it did have a date of year 2000 on it though) and didn't want the omega one to do the same. I think that's the original battery maybe 9 years old this year on the Omega so may be ready to give up.

Mick

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2009, 00:37:05 »

I think I will give the battery a charge soon, the car doesn't get used during the week so battery must need a top up.
It's been said on here that disconnecting the battery is the best thing to do when charging.....question is when I reconnect the battery will the radio ask for it's code again or for that matter will anything else want resetting.It's a facelift TD

Mick

Sunroof and windows.

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2009, 23:46:03 »

Never yet removed the battery to recharge it always left on car totally flat or just topping up, cant say I have had a problem after ! :-[

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2009, 23:03:11 »

Never yet removed the battery to recharge it always left on car totally flat or just topping up, cant say I have had a problem after ! :-[

you have been very lucky by leaving it connected you are at risk of damaging the ecu,alternator and electrics,the gases of the battery can build up and explode and the battery can boil leak acid and cause lots of damage

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2009, 23:22:51 »

you have been very lucky by leaving it connected you are at risk of damaging the ecu,alternator and electrics,the gases of the battery can build up and explode and the battery can boil leak acid and cause lots of damage

mmmm let me see .. my alternator can shove out about 100 amps at a push (although it usually only goes to 30-40amps )... my battery charger only 6 amps .... the alternator is often connected and running for 5-6 hours (up to 12 on a South of France run)...

The alternator runs at 14.4 volts, the battery charger at 14.4 volts as well, so why would a battery charger do so much damage ??

A well maintained battery (clean connections, clear vents, correct electrolyte level) will suffer no damage at all from deep recharging by battery charger.

In a very rare circumstances, a "shorted" battery left charging unattended for a long period MAY, just MAY, cause problems
« Last Edit: 22 January 2009, 23:25:40 by entwood »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2009, 09:49:44 »

Whilst a lot more caution was always advised with the olden batteries of yesteryear, thats a bit too much Doom Mongering for todays modern Sealed and largely Maintenanace Free batteries.

ECU and regulator damage would only occur with a battery charger if you were silly enough to get the terminals the wrong way round, but with battery chargers having such a low power output, even this is unlikely these days.

Obviously don`t sniff em whilst charging, and surely keeping them outside and on the car is much better than removing them and charging within the confined area of a garage bench?

:-X
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.