Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acceleration Noise  (Read 1342 times)

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
Acceleration Noise
« on: 28 November 2006, 17:52:34 »

I've owned a number of Omega's over the years, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5. My current car a '98 2.5 Auto Elite has covered 106,000 miles (40,000 in my hands in 18 months) it has always had a 'low roar noise' under even low acceleration. It does 25mpg around town, 32 mpg on a motorway trip, so it is not a big problem money wise, but it sounds to racey, not smooth.
Checked pipes, hose's, but can it be something to do with the air intake ?
thanks
richard a

STMO123

Re: Acceleration Noise
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2006, 20:36:15 »

My 2000 2.5 has got quite a roar low down the revs. I quite like it ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2006, 20:50:10 »

I've owned a number of Omega's over the years, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5. My current car a '98 2.5 Auto Elite has covered 106,000 miles (40,000 in my hands in 18 months) it has always had a 'low roar noise' under even low acceleration. It does 25mpg around town, 32 mpg on a motorway trip, so it is not a big problem money wise, but it sounds to racey, not smooth.
Checked pipes, hose's, but can it be something to do with the air intake ?
thanks
Non Vx Exhaust?
Grumpy old man

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2006, 20:51:37 »

i would say same as tb cheap exhaust  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2006, 22:13:58 »

My thoughts as well, also maybe a hole or crack in your current exhaust?

Fitting a geniune GM on mine (cheaper than what KwikFit wanted for a crappy tin one) was one of the best things i have done to my megga, so so so so much quieter.. really is silent.

Really does amaze me going along the A-Roads back home doing 50mph in 5th with the radio off, the cabin is silent!! - Must point out it wasn't so silent before, my old exhaust had a crack in it which made it loud.

If you get a replacement exhaust make sure its a GM one, they are worth the extra. I got mine on Trade Club discount, paid £200 for Cat Back GM  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2006, 22:16:16 »

Fitting a geniune GM on mine (cheaper than what KwikFit wanted for a crappy tin one) was one of the best things i have done to my megga, so so so so much quieter.. really is silent.

Really does amaze me going along the A-Roads back home doing 50mph in 5th with the radio off, the cabin is silent!! - Must point out it wasn't so silent before, my old exhaust had a crack in it which made it loud.

If you get a replacement exhaust make sure its a GM one, they are worth the extra. I got mine on Trade Club discount, paid £200 for Cat Back GM  :y
So quite, you can hear the rear wheels squeal  ::)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2006, 22:30:23 »

Hooligan!!  >:( - My poor 2.2 did't know what hit it!

Although i do wanna 3.0V6 for my euro trip car in the summer, something to rag the nuts off and generally chuck around  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2006, 08:44:52 »

Hooligan!!  >:( - My poor 2.2 did't know what hit it!

Although i do wanna 3.0V6 for my euro trip car in the summer, something to rag the nuts off and generally chuck around  :)

Perhaps you should let me drive it for a few miles.......by the way, my go-karting lesson last night was brilliant, didn't go off the track at all....but did drift it a few times..... ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2006, 09:19:51 »

;D ;D

Well that should make sure everything is working right ;)

If i get me a manual 3.0 for my euro trip, i am tempted to go down to my private test track and give it a whirl  ;D

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2006, 17:41:45 »

Many thanks for all your replies. You have confirmed what I suspected, the exhaust is the problem. The car had 68k on the clock and the exhaust was blowing (roaring) had a new non GM exhaust fitted, things were better, false economy. I now have a 'trade card' which gives big savings, may change exhaust when funds allow. Once again thank you.
richard a

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2006, 22:06:46 »

Many thanks for all your replies. You have confirmed what I suspected, the exhaust is the problem. The car had 68k on the clock and the exhaust was blowing (roaring) had a new non GM exhaust fitted, things were better, false economy. I now have a 'trade card' which gives big savings, may change exhaust when funds allow. Once again thank you.

Trade Card - Excellent, big savings on GM zorsts with that.

My advice buy the parts from the Vx dealer, then fit them yourself or get you local mechanic to do it.

I got a local guy to do it, as the old one was in a right state. He fitted it for £40 cash, i was very happy :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.