Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power steering Query  (Read 1243 times)

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
Power steering Query
« on: 29 November 2006, 01:07:27 »

Hi Guys

Hope you can put my mind at rest. :-/

I have driven an S reg 2 ltr diesel estate for over 5 years now (great car) and have just recently bought a 2003 2.2 Diesel estate (Facelift). I am made up with it, but there are a few differances between the cars that I am not sure are normal.

The one I'd like to ask you about being.

When I reverse the 2.2 off the drive and put full lock on while reversing to line up with the road and then start to straighten the steering to go forward from full lock. There is quit a bit of resistance for a second or two before the power steering lightens up.

It work perfect otherwise, but I dont have and never have had this with the older car.

Is this normal or have I got a power steering problem? that could go worse

Any help would be appriciated.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2006, 10:23:21 by Boiler_Man »
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering Query
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2006, 10:42:26 »

I have come across this before and it is a bit of a strange one.

I would certainly change the PAS fluid (easy job) and take it from there.

The only other thing it could really be is the solenoid controlling the steering assistance is starting to play up (need techII to check this).

I don't believe it is the pump, and if it was the aux belt slipping the symptoms would be more severe.

The Administrator.

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2006, 11:43:38 »

Mine does the same - thought it was a bit odd but am just getting used to it!

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2006, 22:53:28 »

Cheers Guys

I'll look into it, prob try chaning the fluid as you suggested. :y
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2006, 02:51:56 »

I've noticed this on mine and discovered that it was caused by two things - fortunately dead easy (and cheap) to fix.

Firstly my front tyre pressures were down at 24 PSI (standard DickFit pressure!). This was causing too much resistance for the power steering at low revs.

Secondly, in this situation (i.e. Just reversed out your drive and making a slow turn) I was trying to turn the steering wheel without actually "driving" the car. In other words I was being lazy and turning the wheels before putting the power down. You'd be amazed at just how much difference a few rev's make to the power steering - particulaly if the front tyres aren't up to pressure.

Worth a try!

Dave
some day.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2006, 07:39:01 »

Ive noticed my 2.2 does the same sometimes and it does it when im doing a 3 point turn outside my house....full right hand lock in D towards pavement......stop R and full left hand lock....stop again, D (at this point im on a slope backwards) , full right hand lock, its this point when the steering can go really heavy, but as HI2DVY says a few revs cures it.

I was just assuming that coz i was on a slope, the idle revs were a bit lower than norm and the combination of full lock.....was just not enough for it.

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2006, 18:29:55 »

Cheers Guys  :y

For your comments, I'll check tyre pressure.

Yes I am being a bit lazy, trying to turn before moving. That did cross my mind, but the strange thing is the prefacelift doesnt do it at all and never has. :-/

I was just a bit concerned I had a problem on the way, but it sounds like it is fairly common.

Thanks again for your input :y
« Last Edit: 01 December 2006, 18:30:36 by Boiler_Man »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.