Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: does the cat like redex??  (Read 1793 times)

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
does the cat like redex??
« on: 22 November 2006, 17:34:37 »

Hi, being a share holder in redex in the past i need to know whether it is ok to used petrol injecter redex in my gls 2.5 with a cat? tone
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: does the cat like redex??
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2006, 17:42:26 »

Yes but, a dose of Forte fuel treatment once or twice a year in half a tank of fuel is much more effective....

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2006, 17:58:16 »

Cheers for advice just bought two from ebay!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2006, 22:13:31 »

I've used Redex with EVERY tankful for 3 years and 40k miles on my previous 2.5 meega...

I've been using it for 5 years and 45k miles on my current 2.6 meega, though since i switched to BT Ultimate I only put Redex in every third tankful.

No problems whatsoever with cats, plugs, or other scare stories.

Can't say if this is the best product on the market, Forte does come highly recommended, as does Comma D-Tox, but at the very least I can safely say that Redex does NOT have any ill-effects on the car!

Alas, no more Omegas....

Old Sweat-RIPscoob

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2006, 10:52:38 »

I've used Redex with EVERY tankful for 3 years and 40k miles on my previous 2.5 meega...

I've been using it for 5 years and 45k miles on my current 2.6 meega, though since i switched to BT Ultimate I only put Redex in every third tankful.

No problems whatsoever with cats, plugs, or other scare stories.

Can't say if this is the best product on the market, Forte does come highly recommended, as does Comma D-Tox, but at the very least I can safely say that Redex does NOT have any ill-effects on the car!

[smiley=shocked.gif] I thought you should use redex maybe once or twice a year, NOT every fill up....................................from memory I thought it even says this on the bottle????????????????????????

Does using Tesco 99 ron fuel or Shell V power (apparently closer to 100 ron ) help clean the fuel lines/injectors etc etc or should you still stick in a bottle of redex now and again? :-/

Kev
I used to have a 400bhp Scoob................I know nothing about Omegas!!!!!!!!!!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2006, 11:33:43 »

The old Redex bottle had the following instructions – 100ml of Redex per 50L of fuel as a one-off to get you started (for the first 300 miles), then 50ml per 50L with every thankful.

The new Redex bottle says only 125ml per 50L every thankful but no mentioning of a one-off treatment.

I actually called them up (call me an anorak), and their spokesman said that these are two different products – the new Redex replacing the old one, and that’s why the instructions are different. I put it to him that the ‘new’ Redex was simply diluted compared to the old product as you now need 125ml per 50L instead of 50ml! But he wouldn’t comment on that, all he said was again that these are two different products…

As for Shell Optimax / V-Power BP Ultimate etc, he said he could not comment on other manufacturer’s products, but half-agreed with me that if the super-fuels already contained detergents, and if they were similar to the ones Redex use, then there would be little point in adding Redex to super-fuels – though he did stress that Redex was compatible with the super-fuels (hmmm… makes you think… how can he know that if he says he didn’t know what the oil companies were using in their super-fuels…?) and that it will do no harm if used with super-fuels (i.e. in having too much detergents in the system).

So in short… I used to add 50ml of the old product and then 125ml of the new product with every thankful (I usually fill the tank when it is not completely empty so I get in around 50L), but now that I am using BP Ultimate I only add Redex every fourth thankful – it is probably not needed at all with the super-fuel, but I am old-fashioned and can’t easily kick a decade-old habit…

As for other high-octane fuels, the situation is not that clear. Shell and BP advertise their super-fuels as having detergents, which is the crucial factor here (not the octane itself). If the other super-fuels also have detergents as do Shell’s and BP’s super-fuels, then same rule applies i.e. you probably don’t really need to use Redex with them , but if they are only high-octane fuels and containing no detergents then Redex (or similar product) would be in order.

« Last Edit: 23 November 2006, 11:36:41 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2006, 22:50:07 »

Wow! I never knew so much about Redex, thanks Markjay.  

Ive been using Wynns Injector Cleaner - £5 in Halfords or £3 in Asda.  Add to a tank every 3m.  I noticed a difference within hours - but may have been imagined it.  :-/
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

paolo

• Holmfirth, West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2006, 04:21:36 »

Following advice in this thread, I have just bought some Forte additive...i will use mine for a week, then add and update you of my findings
Cars 7 sports...I love old cars.

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2006, 09:29:26 »

awaiting your feedback paolo, tone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.