Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Frustrating Sunday  (Read 1623 times)

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Frustrating Sunday
« on: 20 August 2007, 06:45:24 »

Back down to Bo Bo's again yesterday for the third time to rectify the HBV problem, help him change his rear blind and fit a rear subframe bush into my Dads Elite for its MOT.

The first HBV  decided to last a week before it started leaking again  :-/ this was put down to stealers selling non genuine parts ( naughty naughty ) After another genuine one was fitted all was well apart from no hot air getting into cabin. Normally not too much of a problem this time of year, except of course the average temperature has been -8 Degrees all this summer and im sure his drive home from TB's on Saturday night wasn't much fun after 13 hours of messing about with a tractor engine in the cold and wet  :( Any way all pointed to a vac problem somewhere. Quiick manual test on HBV opened valve and hot air flooded into cabin so alls well with HBV. Vac tank working fine but just could not find anymore problems in vac system. A few calls to people in high places for suggestions and it was decided it was time for the glovebox to come out to check actuators. Well they are there and connected so not a lot else we could do without a tech2 and operator, so still no hot air >:( Going to take the actuators out of the CDX i am breaking and swop them over to see if this fixes the problem.

Meanwhile at the rear of the car BO BO is  attempting to remove parcel shelf to fit his new blind, after an hour or two of scratching heads and the odd choice word it finally agrees to let go and come out. New blind plugged into harness to check it is working before being fitted and it does, perfectly. Fit into shelf and into car and........ no, it doesn't want to work anymore, needs a hand to start an then gets stuck  >:( >:(

Subframe bush looks easy enough, four bolts and your in. Ten minutes later the old bush is out, could we get the new bush in........ could we 'dangle berries' >:( >:( >:(. It just would not go the last 5 mm, tried a few ideas we had been given, but still no luck, so we bolted it all back together and are hoping that a few days of driving will make it seat itself correctly, not something we really wanted to do, any ideas would be welcomed.

On th upside BO BO did manage to set his washer jets correctly  ;D

Anyway I need cheering up so i'm off to London to pick up my next project , 1999 ' T ' plate 3.0 Elite. Anyone interested in it  :question

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating Sunday
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2007, 07:47:40 »

Was it holding a vac at the actuator end behind glovebox?  Vac pipes not blocked?
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2007, 07:53:32 »

Was it holding a vac at the actuator end behind glovebox?  Vac pipes not blocked?

TBH, not quite sure what we were doing in there, blew vac pipe from engine bay and got a lot of resistance, hopefully put some pics up later as there is more than one actuator by the look of things.

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2007, 08:12:55 »

. Fit into shelf and into car and........ no, it doesn't want to work anymore, needs a hand to start an then gets stuck  >:( >:(

Make sure the nuts are done up tight that bolt the blind to the 'metal' part of the shelf.

Mine stopped working, once i had tightend up the nuts it was fine

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2007, 08:33:27 »

It was warmer outside when I got out of my car on Saturday night  ::)

The the reason the parcel shelf was so tough to get out was even after everything was free it was still stuck to the sealant that was used on the rear screen  ::)

Might be worth adding a note on the "how to"
« Last Edit: 20 August 2007, 09:00:56 by paulmccristall »
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2007, 08:36:46 »

. Fit into shelf and into car and........ no, it doesn't want to work anymore, needs a hand to start an then gets stuck  >:( >:(

Make sure the nuts are done up tight that bolt the blind to the 'metal' part of the shelf.

Mine stopped working, once i had tightend up the nuts it was fine
I'm sure they were tight but I'll check when I get round to taking it out again, should be a damn sight easier now it's free from the rear screen.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2007, 08:38:03 »

Is the car going to Wales?

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2007, 08:44:46 »

Remember he has a SWMBO now  ::)

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2007, 09:03:09 »

Remember he has a SWMBO now  ::)
I'm not going for the meet but should be able to pop over there if it's not sorted by then & everyone's agreeable.....

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2007, 11:32:14 »

The blind not going up sounds like it could be worn gears in the drive I have one in the loft that has the same problem ended up fitting another one in the end  :(

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2007, 12:03:59 »

The blind not going up sounds like it could be worn gears in the drive I have one in the loft that has the same problem ended up fitting another one in the end  :(
It works fine when not fitted, it sticks when in place, will move with a nudge & touches the screen when about 2/3rds up.......

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2007, 12:16:05 »

That really does sound like the gears to me as its the same thing I had with mine worked ok while just sat in the boot to try it but when fitted would not fully extend unless assisted  ;) the gears are only plastic/fibre I can not remember which I even had the gearbox to bits and tried to sort it out but gave up in the end and brought another complete unit.    

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2007, 12:24:17 »

That really does sound like the gears to me as its the same thing I had with mine worked ok while just sat in the boot to try it but when fitted would not fully extend unless assisted  ;) the gears are only plastic/fibre I can not remember which I even had the gearbox to bits and tried to sort it out but gave up in the end and brought another complete unit.    
Thanks for the advice, looks like that was a waste of money, time & effort & I'm on the look-out for another replacement :(

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2007, 13:02:41 »

Just to make sure, if its out of the car you should be able to get to the gearbox its not hard to get to take the cover off and you should be able to see the gears If I am correct (must happen now and again) you should see some wear on the gears  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2007, 13:19:16 »

Bo Bo, if you haven't already, clean any dust and grit and oil from the runner at the top of the blind, then spray a little PTFE type spray in the grove (the stuff a small hardware store would sell for nylon curtain rails). Don't use oil/grease as it attracts dust and dirt.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.