Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: K series Head Failure...or is it...  (Read 1962 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: K series Head Failure...or is it...
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2007, 23:21:50 »

I reckon it may be the first hint of HG...   ...there is (small amount) of water in oil, and (small amount) of oil in coolant.  No oil coolers, so has to be :(

yep, specially after i checked its gunked up plumbing....

Jamie - i presume you ahve a cam locking tool for this engine after your recent hgf... can you tell me what make and model it is? reluctant to buy laser ( i know James had an issue recently albeit with vx laser )
I think it was draper.  Want to borrow?

thanks for the offer - appreciate it  :) - there only a few quid so will hunt one down....if you get a chance can you check over the next few days to see if it as any codes on it? think it may be k16 ( odd that  ;D)

may come back to borrow if i cant find one though.. :y
« Last Edit: 29 July 2007, 23:22:33 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2007, 23:33:40 »

If it helps mine had a very slight but noticeable misfire at idle when it was dumping sludge. Maybe TADTS but could be a sign. It suggests a compression test would show something if the idle was lumpy.

Certainly could use an oil change looking under that cam cover!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2007, 23:41:20 »

I reckon it may be the first hint of HG...   ...there is (small amount) of water in oil, and (small amount) of oil in coolant.  No oil coolers, so has to be :(

yep, specially after i checked its gunked up plumbing....

Jamie - i presume you ahve a cam locking tool for this engine after your recent hgf... can you tell me what make and model it is? reluctant to buy laser ( i know James had an issue recently albeit with vx laser )
I think it was draper.  Want to borrow?

thanks for the offer - appreciate it  :) - there only a few quid so will hunt one down....if you get a chance can you check over the next few days to see if it as any codes on it? think it may be k16 ( odd that  ;D)

may come back to borrow if i cant find one though.. :y
99% certain it was http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=16498 but will check tomorrow...  (remind me though!)
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2007, 23:53:01 »

My mum and dad have an MGF only done 58,000 miles, there head gasket went about 4 weeks ago. Rover garage did the job about £1100 :-[

Bloke at works son had one exactly the same, he told me that Land Rover only gave a 30,000 mile warranty with a brand new Freelander as at the time they shared the K series engine :-/
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 July 2007, 00:01:15 »

The MGF / Elise apparently has an additional issue that the coolant pipes to the rad are very long, meaning that the engine gets shock cooled by lots of cold water as the thermostat opens.

1.8 K Freelanders need to be ragged to death to keep up with the traffic flow. A lightweight revvy 16 valver was not ideal for that vehicle, and that probably doesn't help the longevity of the engine ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 July 2007, 07:52:36 »

If it helps mine had a very slight but noticeable misfire at idle when it was dumping sludge. Maybe TADTS but could be a sign. It suggests a compression test would show something if the idle was lumpy.

Certainly could use an oil change looking under that cam cover!

Kevin

there is a very very slight blip every 30secs, only someone like a forum member would notice it ( not Mr Joe Public  ;)) but it actually idles fine in relation to revs and consistancy outwith this...

ive cleaned the cam cover and gasket and will turn it over every horur or so today and see how it behaves, i dropped both rad hoses last night and they pretty much sugested that it was HG  ( thick with sludge) although the coolant was still flowing freely.

Compression tester on order, locking "kit" on order, nothing happening till Wednesday on strip down..

Of course the other side is it has ahd hgf failure and the seller hasnt had it properly cleaned / flushed but hasnt told me it went previously and assumed its gone again....long shot though.
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 July 2007, 07:54:36 »

My mum and dad have an MGF only done 58,000 miles, there head gasket went about 4 weeks ago. Rover garage did the job about £1100 :-[

Bloke at works son had one exactly the same, he told me that Land Rover only gave a 30,000 mile warranty with a brand new Freelander as at the time they shared the K series engine :-/

thats not the worst price in the world - although on the steep side  :o :o thing with the mgf is the car comes out the engine, not the engin out the car. I presume its also the vvc engined one..
« Last Edit: 30 July 2007, 08:49:17 by Markiec »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 July 2007, 08:42:10 »

Thats first sign of head gasket failure on a  K series (many miss this stage).

Remember that a K series thats had a recent head gasket change is a major selling point....and given the state its in, its a much easier job with a lot less cleaning required.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 July 2007, 12:55:23 »

:o :o :o Sorry mate but I think you were robbed.  I just had a HGF on a 214, caught it early with a pressure tester I got at halfrauds and it took me about 4-5 hours + 50 quid for gaskets and bolts and about 25 to get the head skimmed.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 July 2007, 16:20:22 »

:o :o :o Sorry mate but I think you were robbed.  I just had a HGF on a 214, caught it early with a pressure tester I got at halfrauds and it took me about 4-5 hours + 50 quid for gaskets and bolts and about 25 to get the head skimmed.

its a wee bit more complicated on a vvc or mgf ( ven more a vvc mgf) than a 214....however £1100 is the high side of the normal main dealer price...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.