Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreen Replacement on Insurance  (Read 3215 times)

ted_one

Re: Windscreen Replacement on Insurance
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2016, 15:49:51 »

Just to make you feel better ;D both wings had to come off so that the firewall and surrounding areas could be checked for tinworm :o)the guy took pictures of the tear down and the repair process and nothing else was found, so hopefully the Elite will live on for a while longer.But in all honesty I won't be throwing any more money at that car or the two others in regard to major body repairs......minor stuff only from now on as the new year is cambelt time, plus the diffs are possibly going to be refurbed and then they and the VXR8 are all going for a proper under body rust treatment and then.........Christ no wonder I haven't slept properly since 2001 :(  ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2016, 17:03:35 »

That's what worries me. There is slight milkiness in one bottom corner, which is a sure sign of corrosion in my experience.
If I wait until summer, I can have the screen taken out, then get remedial work done if need be, then a new screen once its ready for it.
That's the plan anyway. Will see what happens when the time comes.
Mine also has too much of my money ploughed into it, to leave it to rot, or have a half arsed job done. I'm in too deep now to worry about recouping the money if I sell it, so just want to keep it as it should be, because I'm not happy if it isn't.  :y

Oh dear my 3.2 has this, do I need to take the screen out to check. :-\ :-\ :-\ :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2016, 18:06:39 »

That's what worries me. There is slight milkiness in one bottom corner, which is a sure sign of corrosion in my experience.
If I wait until summer, I can have the screen taken out, then get remedial work done if need be, then a new screen once its ready for it.
That's the plan anyway. Will see what happens when the time comes.
Mine also has too much of my money ploughed into it, to leave it to rot, or have a half arsed job done. I'm in too deep now to worry about recouping the money if I sell it, so just want to keep it as it should be, because I'm not happy if it isn't.  :y

Oh dear my 3.2 has this, do I need to take the screen out to check. :-\ :-\ :-\ :(

Mine's been like that for the 6 years I've owned it. Not worrying about it works well for me.
Although I have just bought 5kg of MIG wire for the 2017 projects that I know about ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2016, 18:58:34 »

Had the milkiness in lower left[passenger side]corner of screen on a p/f/l Elite I owned a few years ago,couldn't be seen from inside the cae so I ignored it.It is apparently the windscreen de-laminating whether this is caused by rust in the surround metal work or not I don't know.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2016, 19:32:51 »

Had the milkiness in lower left[passenger side]corner of screen on a p/f/l Elite I owned a few years ago,couldn't be seen from inside the cae so I ignored it.It is apparently the windscreen de-laminating whether this is caused by rust in the surround metal work or not I don't know.

Rust in the surrounding metal work is much more likely to crack the screen rather than cause it to delaminate. That tends to be a water leak problem.

ted_one

« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2016, 09:05:34 »

Agree with Nick on this one,had a water leak into the n/s footwell,checked for the usual blocked drain scuttles etc and they were OK,wasn't expecting that  there would be a nasty and expensive surprise waiting for me when I decided to replace the chipped windscreen. :o

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2016, 18:12:53 »

I had a new windscreen fitted a few years ago by a local independent company for £140.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2016, 07:38:44 »

I had the RAC screen company remove my broken screen only for them to then tell me once out that they didn't have a replacement until the new year. They then had to supply me a hire car over the christmas period until the replacement was then in the country. Shortly after my compo claim was received from them, they went bust

Keith ABS

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2016, 17:02:06 »

Having had my windscreen smashed on sunday by the same druggie scum that broke my side windows i'm now waiting for autoglass to arrive on Wednesday to replace it and hopefully without any problems. apart from the £100 excess that have to pay.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.