Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd side effect  (Read 762 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Odd side effect
« on: 04 July 2014, 20:38:49 »

The battery on the Omega was about on its last legs,if I left car alone for any more than 4 days it'd be too flat to start car.Luck on my side a bit for once as a friend was scrapping a car with a battery less than 6months old which was the right size,so a swap was done my dud battery went off to scrappers and a nearly new one took its place.Engine now spins over faster than it's ever done.However an odd side effect seems to have cropped up.With the old battery the temp.gauge would[under the right conditions as car has a lazy thermostat]indicate 95 and the fans would cut in until indicated temp. was about 88ish and fans would then stop.Now with new battery on fans cut in when gauge indicates 90 and stop when an indicated 85 is on the gauge.Why the difference?everything is the same[i.e.roads travelled,driving style traffic conditions etc.]except for the battery swap.Just curious is all.
P.S.Thermostat change will take place as soon as work and caring for Maureen allow the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Odd side effect
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2014, 08:47:30 »

Check the output from the alternator, following Kevin Wood's guide.

Its possible that the old battery was dragging it all down, but its not usual for a (mostly) working battery to have that amount of impact.
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

Re: Odd side effect
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2014, 18:24:44 »

Check the output from the alternator, following Kevin Wood's guide.

Its possible that the old battery was dragging it all down, but its not usual for a (mostly) working battery to have that amount of impact.

Definately, it could be the alternator not giving enough output and the 'new' battery you have is topping up the demand that the alternator is struggling to provide....then you could be in the same state as before  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.