Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Suspension Assembly  (Read 1294 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Front Suspension Assembly
« on: 01 January 2016, 22:28:24 »

Have decided to buy new shocks/springs/top mounts and bump stops to renew tired front suspension.

My plan is to buy all the components required and assemble a pair of totally new legs so I then only need to remove existing..and then refit newly assembled legs ..then get alignment done .

Question I have is what other parts...if any ??..do I need as Haynes seem to show some other bits which I am unsure what they are or where to source...indeed do they need to be fitted .

Any advise greatfully received...or maybe a picture of the leg in section

05omegav6

Re: Front Suspension Assembly
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2016, 23:11:58 »

Extra parts are...

A pair cup washers
One 24mm nut

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2016, 08:44:31 »

Cheers Al.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2016, 11:17:12 »

Found images of shock assembly online and seems to show a top and bottom rubber dampener like a large washer that the spring sits onto before contacting metal.

Is this necessary to replace/fit and if so assume its Dealer only part.Some pictures seem to show spring fitted straight onto the metal curve of the shock boby ..would this not cause noise etc.

Other than workshop style spring compressors what would be upto the job on Omega springs..any recomendations,as old set I have dont look man enough .

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2016, 11:26:08 »

Found images of shock assembly online and seems to show a top and bottom rubber dampener like a large washer that the spring sits onto before contacting metal.

Is this necessary to replace/fit and if so assume its Dealer only part.Some pictures seem to show spring fitted straight onto the metal curve of the shock boby ..would this not cause noise etc.

Other than workshop style spring compressors what would be upto the job on Omega springs..any recomendations,as old set I have dont look man enough .

I've a pair are I that I don't like very much for this job, and have only ever done shock changes with them. I would be very tempted to pay someone with a robust floor-mounted station to do that part of the job. I know several experienced people who have hurt themselves badly using spring compressors(that are still perfectly adequate on old cars) on modern springs.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2016, 13:18:48 »

I had overlooked the top spring cup and the two rubber pads :-[

Easiest way would be to buy a pair of second hand struts and strip it for the bits you require as none of the parts have expiry dates ;)

That said, in the scheme of rebuilding struts, it adds an hour at most to each side...

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2016, 13:58:11 »

Think your words of advise are wise Nick as remember seeing a set come loose during a spring change and the deserve thier names of "widow makers " .

Had hoped to get set built up so car wasnt off road and then just swop new set for old and then get Geo done.

No real saving buying an old set to dismantle just for the parts needed as still need springs off.Will get local garage to do the spring replacement for a few £,s in the teapot,and will try locating the rubber pads etc unless they are available from Dealer as cant seem to locate part numbers from images on EPC.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2016, 18:23:40 »

Might have all the bits you need in stock...

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2016, 18:59:28 »

That would be very very helpfull Al,as I then have the option of getting the new legs built up prior to removal of originals .

Have factored in 4 new tyres around mid/end january so alignment then all fits in nicely time wise.

If you could let me now and cost inc postage by PM that would be great  :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2016, 21:54:28 »

The rubber pads have a built in dip and hump so that the end of the spring coil sits in the right place and stays there.
I fitted GM/Sachs struts and new springs to mine and, with the struts on Trade Club, they were just £4 dearer each than Bilstein B4's, so personal choice really as price-wise there's nothing in it.
I misplaced my old spring compressors so I bought a new set from Screwfix a few years back. I didn't expect much from them but I have used them on several cars now with no problems. They are much easier to use if you can hold the strut still, use a socket and long extension on each compressor bolt and then use an impact gun to alternate on each bolt to keep them even.
The first time I used them I had to use a long extension and ratchet and it is tediously slow work. Obviously the best/safest way is to use a purpose built spring press, but I don't justify one of those for occasional home use.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.