Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has/have most people abandoned the omegas and moved onto newer things?  (Read 3958 times)

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile

As per title,

A lot of posts from forum members I remember as being on here around the same time as me have quite often got ex member or guest next to their usernames?

Have most people on here gotten rid of the omegas? I bought an estate the other day in not bad condition (arches) as the bodywork is what usually lets them down, just as a runabout but if most of them are going to the scrapyard etc I'm half tempted to keep this one.

Wierdly, I ended up following another omega in a similar colour and similar spec - although saloon instead pretty much the day after I picked this one up!

Alex
V8!!!!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

After 12 years, I let my 2.2 go, moved on from that.

I have the 3.2 left, but I suspect it's ownership with us will come to an end in the near future.

2boxerdogs

Had my 2.6 for five years a really good car but bought the Merc on impulse no regrets on either one if I had a double garage I think I would have kept the 2.6  went to a member on here who sold it to a friend , now no trace on the DVLA site of AK 51 ONV shame if it has been written off or scrapped.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

I recently got rid of mine when I discovered the sills were rotten.  Can't complain though I had it for nearly 11 years and it had 245,000 on the clock, so it didn't owe me anything!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

I am very pleased indeed with my current Omega, its a peach of a car, but it will definitely be my last one. Probably my last Vauxhall too after 40 years of (mostly) driving them. Its a shame, but they only make shite cars now so its inevitable.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

I had my MV6 for five years and put 30k on it and it never let me down though the suspension was a yearly thing to maintain and the most annoying part of it`s ownership. I still really liked it though but rust was starting to rear it`s ugly head on the front chassis legs and the ABS ECU packed up so it was time to move on, and for the first time since 1997 I am now without a Vauxhall and the first time with a rice burner  :y

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile

Still have mine , fifteen years now and counting.
Not a bit of rust or a mark on it anywhere at 125K miles . Would never consider getting rid of it as it transports me in great comfort but the Insurance industry in this stupid little country is basically condeming cars over fifteen years old by refusing to insure them either flatly or by quoting prohibitive rates couple this with a road tax of €710 per year makes no economic sense.A perfect car may be commited to scrap next year just because of the greed and indifference of politicians and an out of control Insurance industry.

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile

I think, to hold an old Omega is a challenge. Do it if you like it, otherwise take a credit and by something new.

My Omegas are getting better every year and I can say, I know every I rust hole under every dammed plastic shield. Over the last two years I did hardcore welding, because I like my Omegas. I like to drive them and I like their old fashion design (specially PFL).

So there is no reason to give them away.

It is so simple  8)
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile

Its a pity i'm no good at welding (despite having 3 welders) because then I could repair my avengers as well as any omegas that come my way.

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile

Hi Olympia

That is a shame! I can insurance an Omega like every other car to fixed conditions. Both of my
Omegas are labeled green, so the tax is low and I am allowed to drive in any inner city zone. My boss has an unlabeled Audi A6 TDI, ten years younger than my Omega. He is not allowed to use his car in Freiburg or Stuttgart. If he must drive there, he has to borrow my old Omega  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

Can you export your Minister for Transport over to us before Brexit, so we can all have our Omegas labelled green too ?  :y ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Scrapped my MV6 that I'd had for just over 13yrs, it had 232k on it  :'(

Still got (a broken) TBE here though.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile

Gave up on Omegas about four years ago. Miss the comfort , towing ability.

Dont miss the filling up every time I left home.

Got a four by four. Great on the farm and in the countryside. Need something comfortable and bigger. Real problem deciding what. I even chased a lhd omega estate....
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile

Hi Migv6

I see it the other way. Any UK Omega (except some diesel models) re - imported to Germany will be labeled green. If the bloody stearing where on the right (left) side, I would have imported Omegas from the UK. Our prices are low, UK prices are suborbital.

Hi Neil

Welding on an an Omega is not only a question of "how to do". It is also a question of time. Proper welding on a normal PFL needs 2-3 month (hobby work, after work). So you need minimum a second Omega for driving. Therefore I have two Omegas.

Rolf
« Last Edit: 28 June 2017, 19:14:40 by Zirfeld »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

I think members leave for many and varied reasons not just because they've got rid of their Omegas[you don't have to own one to be on here]as/when I get rid of the Elite I'll replace it with something the same age or older,newer cars are too full of stuff I don't want/need/have no interest in to go that route.Even Omegaless I reckon I'll stay on here as I like this forum a lot :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.