Chat Area > General Car Chat

Front suspension mk 7 golf

(1/3) > >>

Varche:
Had the alignment checked on the car today. Toe in out was spot on but rh front is spec but left front is 1 deg of negative camber. Local garage said need new shockers.

Went to vw dealer for something else and showed him the readings. He had his técnico have a look - took him over 30 minutes. His advice. Live with it or spend a large amount of money fixing it. He said he would send me a quote ( hasn’t arrived yet). Idly, I wonder if it is the complicated suspension worn out through age and all the damn potholes.

If it is just shock absorbers, how can that affect the camber?. The car doesn’t feel like a shocker is failed.

Doctor Gollum:
It could be slightly bent or top mount failed.

Front struts on a Golf are hardly ground breaking either by design or fitting.

No different to the Omega or any other McPherson equipped car and it's only a pricey job because of all the parts that should be replaced in the process and the requirement to do both sides...

Varche:
I did quite a bit of research last night. No adjustment on stock suspension for camber but you might get a tiny amount from the holes where top of strut mounts.

Could be some damaged suspension component but most likely a bent part of shock absorber. I watched an excellent how to video on changing front shocks. Definitely beyond my current capabilities. I was really impressed by their attention to detail. Cleaning bolt and nut heads before undoing and applying spray copper grease afterwards. Never seen that product but I still have my tub and tube from probably the seventies . I wish every mechanic paid that much attention to detail. Obviously everyone on here does!

In the summer , I will cast around for a garage to do the job. In the meantime I will do some research on which shocks to use. I won’t go OEM. Might go Bilstein B4 but don’t want a lumpy ride. What is on now are original fitment on 125k miles so are perhaps giving a lumpy ride ie jarring when you go over a sleeping policeman. I guess any would be an improvement …… Any recommendations?

Doctor Gollum:

--- Quote from: Varche on 18 April 2024, 09:00:56 ---I did quite a bit of research last night. No adjustment on stock suspension for camber but you might get a tiny amount from the holes where top of strut mounts.

Could be some damaged suspension component but most likely a bent part of shock absorber. I watched an excellent how to video on changing front shocks. Definitely beyond my current capabilities. I was really impressed by their attention to detail. Cleaning bolt and nut heads before undoing and applying spray copper grease afterwards. Never seen that product but I still have my tub and tube from probably the seventies . I wish every mechanic paid that much attention to detail. Obviously everyone on here does!

In the summer , I will cast around for a garage to do the job. In the meantime I will do some research on which shocks to use. I won’t go OEM. Might go Bilstein B4 but don’t want a lumpy ride. What is on now are original fitment on 125k miles so are perhaps giving a lumpy ride ie jarring when you go over a sleeping policeman. I guess any would be an improvement …… Any recommendations?

--- End quote ---
OEM are almost certainly Bilstien on that...
Same struts as the Leon/Altea/Octavia.

Marks DTM Calib:
Primary height setting on those is the springs, as the car ages the springs weaken, the suspension sags a bit, the static position of the wishbone sits a little higher and you get a bit more negative camber.

Just changing the shocks will yield poor results, springs are the primary  :y

I suspect the standard Golf shocks ae ZF (so Sachs/Boge) and the WSS setup would be Monroe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version