Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: £28 million worth of vehicles to be scrapped.  (Read 1014 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
£28 million worth of vehicles to be scrapped.
« on: 05 April 2010, 22:50:12 »

I can't help thinking there is something entirely wrong with this process. The energy used in manufacturing these cars is in essence being written off long before their real end of life date .It sits rather uncomfortably with the drive to reduce energy usage and carbon footprint globally. These cars aren't surplus they have just been replaced with others that have used a tremendous amount of energy to manufacture ,they are reasonably modern so cannot be classed as polluters .
I guess you could argue or debate the virtues of the scheme forever but I feel it's fundamentaly and even morally wrong to scrap perfectly good useable vehicles at a tremendous cost to the taxpayer.
What a strange old world , eh ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263548/Now-did-say-left-car-The-28m-backlog-perfectly-driveable-vehicles-waiting-SCRAPPED.html#ixzz0kFWPBTYM

albitz

Re: £28 million worth of vehicles to be scrapped.
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2010, 22:57:30 »

When the lunatics take over the asylum, this absolute madness is the result. Hard to know wether to laugh or cry. >:( >:( :( :'(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2010, 22:59:29 »

Think how many less well-off people would be thankful of those cars, in the absence of a usable public transport system in this country. >:(

Utter, utter madness. Roll on the election revolution.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2010, 23:09:00 »

I  was looking for SWMBO's old Rover Coupe... Particularly as we've already had a certificate of destruction ::)

Wasn't worth the hassle of trying to sell it TBH... Wasn't in the best of conditions and I have issues with selling dodgy motors... I can't do it ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2010, 17:37:17 »

why not ship them out to third world countries?

bloody stupid!!!

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2010, 17:45:38 »

This issue has been covered before on here.

However, it must be remembered that the scrappage scheme was designed, with all its flaws, to create stimulation to the car market, and NOT to satisfy some 'green' set of credentials.

It did indeed push up new car sales, and apparently gave work to those in car plants.

The overall outcome is of course absolute madness!! ::) ::) >:( >:(

Psychoca

• Norfolk
    • Beaten up Mondeo TDCI ST.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2010, 19:49:00 »

It did indeed push up new car sales, and apparently gave work to those in car plants.

It most probably did give work to car plant workers in France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea...

I would lay firm odds that a very low percentage of the additional work actually was within Britain....

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2010, 20:14:48 »

It most probably did give work to car plant workers in France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea...

I would lay firm odds that a very low percentage of the additional work actually was within Britain....

You may well be right, but it is actually hard to say due to parts for all new cars coming from all over the place, not just the country that has the plant in which they are assembled. ;) ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.